Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Disinfect Water System

I own a 2011 Winnebago Aspect 30c that I just bought from the original buyer. Among other things, I was going to disinfect the water system as I am sure the original owner never did it. The process is straight forward enough, but not clear on the under sink filter for the cold water. Do I leave as is and disinfect it too or bypass it?

Thanks,
Cardinal Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

If you run bleach through it and it is a carbon filter, it's shot. I'd bleach the whole system and then change all filters. When you get done flushing bleach out, run some white vinegar threw it and it will kill the chlorine smell.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you have the Everpure water purification system, it has a bypass plug for both winterizing and sanitizing the fresh water system. You remove the filter canister, insert the plug, then sanitize. That would work with any filter system. Our 5er had a bypass hose to replace the in-line filter below the countertop.
FWIW, Everpure recommends 6 oz.=2/3 cup, of 5.25% bleach to 10G water for sanitizing. To treat consumable water from a questionable source, Everpure recommends 1 tsp. for each 10G, = 6.7 ppm bleach. This is safe for adults, but infants should not have ANY bleach in their drinking water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Pilot View Post
I own a 2011 Winnebago Aspect 30c that I just bought from the original buyer. Among other things, I was going to disinfect the water system as I am sure the original owner never did it. The process is straight forward enough, but not clear on the under sink filter for the cold water. Do I leave as is and disinfect it too or bypass it?

Thanks,
i turn my under sink water filter off with the installed lever before sanitizing my water tank.
i guess you could remove the filter, but that would be overkill in my system.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I take out my undersink filter b4 sanitizing -- also, I do not use bleach to sanitize the system --- I use peroxide to do it -- that way, you do not have the smell and you don't have to dump the fresh water tank afterwards. The ratio of peroxide to the water is 4 oz to each 10 gallons of water if you want to go that way.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide do you use?
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth I've never done anything to my water system on this coach we've had for about 8 years.

I had a trailer that I added about a half gallon of bleach to the water tank to sanitize the system. I never got rid of the bleach smell after that. I found out 1/2 gallon is WAY too much.

So if you use bleach....go light.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
For what it's worth I've never done anything to my water system on this coach we've had for about 8 years.

I had a trailer that I added about a half gallon of bleach to the water tank to sanitize the system. I never got rid of the bleach smell after that. I found out 1/2 gallon is WAY too much.

i had to use arm and hammer soda deodorizing system after i used 32 oz bleach to get the taste out of the filtered drinking water.

Arm & Hammer Multi-Brand - Deodorizing Camper Water Tanks

i drained and refilled my system twice but that didn't get it. it ruined my $35 under sink filter cartridge too.
the vinegar method worked ok? but the smell persisted even after 2 drains and refills.
i am going to try the peroxide method next. i am going to turn off my under sink filter prior to treating my 80 gallon tank with 32 oz. peroxide. i will let it sit for 24 hours, drain and refill 2 times. hopefully this protocol will not destroy my new $35 under sink filter cartridge.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I use 6 oz of bleach for a 100 gallon water tank. Let sit for 12 hours and I flush twice.
No chlorine odor. I do it as needed. Very simple. If you put too much bleach in, can hurt your tank and connections.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

Yep you may have overdone it but white vinegar as a follow up flush will get rid of it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Spinn ---- sorry for the delay in responding --- I use the 3% solution that you can buy over the counter at any drug store for the sanitizing of the tank and the line system in my coach. Hydrogen peroxide is a very good sanitizing agent and kill germs very effectively. Also like the no odor after and you can leave the solution in your tank --- it will not hurt you when diluted that much but, does kill the germs.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hydrogen Peroxide can be used to destroy chlorine, thus might work well to remove chlorine from the plumbing due to over-chlorination. It has many uses, and also has associated dangers as discussed in that link. Used properly it is safe,
Here is a small exerpt from the webpage; "The main disadvantage is the small disinfecting and oxidising ability of hydrogen peroxide at active concentrations (tens of milligrams per litre), which are required for swimming pool disinfection. Another problem is the quick decomposition of hydrogen peroxide in water and the presence of oxygen radicals."

Read more: hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Camping world and others sell water disinfectants. Does anyone know if they work? My wife doesn't want me to use bleach cause she is afraid of it and doesn't like the taste. She's told me she will never drink from it again if I use bleach. Lol. So I'll be stuck buying bottled water. So do the store bought disinfectants work?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Camping world and others sell water disinfectants. Does anyone know if they work? My wife doesn't want me to use bleach cause she is afraid of it and doesn't like the taste. She's told me she will never drink from it again if I use bleach. Lol. So I'll be stuck buying bottled water. So do the store bought disinfectants work?
Hydrogen Peroxide will do the deed and is reasonably cheap.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is used to disinfect water lines in medical facilities. Biofilm is a big concern and it would certainly apply to motor home plumbing. I do not believe peroxide will effect biofilm.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

If the filter contains activated carbon, you should remove it prior to sanitizing. Otherwise the carbon will remove/reduce the chlorine and prevent adequate sanitization of the plumbing after the filter. Since the filter likely contains bacteria, it should be replaced with a new one.

The usual recommended dosage for sanitizing is 50 mg/L, although 200 mg/L sometimes is used (mg/L and ppm are the same thing). Minimum contact time is 30 minutes. These levels are for sanitizing, not for drinking water.

The U.S EPA has set a primary (health-related) limit of 4 mg/L for chlorine in drinking water. For details, go to Drinking Water Contaminants | Drinking Water Contaminants | US EPA . The Winnebago instructions for sanitizing are good, but the recommended dosage for drinking water is a bit higher than 4 mg/L.

I'm a water treatment geek, so I need to calculate chemical dosages all the time. In this application, I would use the calculation -

Bleach (liq.oz.) = (FW tank gallons x Chlorine ppm) / (Bleach % x 78.125)

For example, if I wanted to fill a FW tank with 43 gallons at a concentration of 50 ppm using 5.25% bleach,

Bleach (liq.oz.) = (43 x 50) / (5.25 x 78.125) = 2150 / 410 = 5.2 ounces

You could use the same calculation for hydrogen peroxide, which often is used to sanitize high quality water systems like those used in laboratories or dialysis centers. However, the typical peroxide dosage is 1000-2500 mg/L, and the minimum contact time is six hours. There is no EPA drinking water standard for hydrogen peroxide, but I learned recently that the State of Michigan has a recommended limit of 4.2 mg/L.
HOHDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Well I put bleach in my tank. I put in 1.5 litres...then 90 gallons of water. I let it sit over night after I had run it into the water lines. My question is I can't seem to get all the rv antifreeze or bleach out of the lines. I can have the system pressurized, turn off the water pump, drain the tap in kitchen then turn on the water pump. After running the tap for about 10 seconds, the water gets foamy for about 5 seconds then goes clear again. I can replicate this at will. I am getting very frustrated. I have drained the FW tank and the HW tank about 5 times and refilled. I still have the bleach smell along with the foamy water as indicated above. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is there a low point that I am missing that will get rid of the rv antifreeze? I tried the outside shower in the wet bay, that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry to the OP if this is a slight hijack
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Does she eat off of plates or drink from glasses at a restaurant? The last step in cleaning the dishes at any commercial food establishment is a bleach rinse.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well I put bleach in my tank. I put in 1.5 litres...then 90 gallons of water. I let it sit over night after I had run it into the water lines. My question is I can't seem to get all the rv antifreeze or bleach out of the lines. I can have the system pressurized, turn off the water pump, drain the tap in kitchen then turn on the water pump. After running the tap for about 10 seconds, the water gets foamy for about 5 seconds then goes clear again. I can replicate this at will. I am getting very frustrated. I have drained the FW tank and the HW tank about 5 times and refilled. I still have the bleach smell along with the foamy water as indicated above. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is there a low point that I am missing that will get rid of the rv antifreeze? I tried the outside shower in the wet bay, that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry to the OP if this is a slight hijack
Simply flush all the lines for about 15 minutes or so, while hooked up to city water. Be sure to leave your gray water valve open and dumping to the grass so you don't overflow your gray water tank.

Lots of flushing will clear it out. Don't forget the hot water tank. Just run the hot and cold valves for about 15 minutes (with heater off, of course).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water