Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

De-winterizing washing machine question

2nd owner 2007 Winnebago Journey 39K with stackable washer and dryer. Whirlpool I think but I can double check when I get back in there.

When I went to de-winterize a couple weeks back I ran the washer for a bit on the regular cycle as instructions indicate but though I thought I could hear water sloshing around in there, the drum remained dry.

A look in the small door to the back of the unit reveals opaque water lines and there are still pink in them! I ensured the supply valves at the back of the washer were open and I traced the lines as best I could but found no other cutoff valves.

If there's anyone out there who has had the same issue or is smarter than I (I'm sure there are several) I'd really like to talk to you or learn what I need to look for.
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a good mystery to chase!
And any good mystery gives us some clues to follow so let me check if what I see is what you have?
First is this the layout of the plumbing as you have it? I snipped this drawing from this link at page 224:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...07/7wkp39k.pdf

It seems to show no valves, etc. between the vanity as I marked and the washer, so that leaves me a couple thoughts to try.
You were set up with water and getting water other places, with city water or pump on?
Maybe verify that you are getting water at the vanity (item 20) next closer to the supply.
The washer valves are open at 21?

Some possible thoughts. There are filter screens on many washers, right at the faucet/valve and they "might" be clogged?
Are you pretty sure you let enough run to clear the pink as that location is further down the line than other spots?
The nasty one to mention but works in my house is how well you know the machine. Any chance the wife would do it different?
Seems like if you get water at 20 but not 21, you are real close to the problem.

Good luck with the mystery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washer.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	178163  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Richard,

Ahhhh again you arrive to assist. Much appreciated!
Unlike other 39Ks we don't have the vanity in the BR but a simple dresser and mirror.
The next closest component to the washer on that side is the shower.
I pulled the lower drawers of the dresser out far enough to see in there and I can only see the opaque lines with the pink still in them.
I did not think of a clogged strainer at the valve but will take a closer look next weekend when we take her out for the shakedown camp weekend. I'm guessing I'll need to open a safe faucet to relieve the pressure somewhat before removing the hoses so I can avoid as much spillage in the closet as possible. I had clear water everywhere else so I'm pretty sure I have good water throughout except for the washer. I do not know the machine and neither does she. We only got the coach right before Christmas and have not had it de-winterized until now.
I printed the diagram for reference when I get back in there.
Thanks for the lead. I appreciate your attention. I'll get back to you when I have info to report.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay, several options that can change things, so it always pays to ask the folks who are looking at the real RV!
It would seem pretty odd for both hot and cold lines to be stopped up at a filter as those would seem to be different lines for each. But those are what makes things interesting as the things that don't happen often can get up tied in fits.
I don't know the washers for Rv but home washers will have a water solenoid that opens and closes to control the water going in, so it "could" be something wrong in the machine itself to keep the solenoid from opening or there are often screens right at the point where the hoses connect to the faucets. but that is where thinking both of them at totally stopped up, seems like a stretch.

If you have options on the machine for different levels or temp of wash water, maybe just trying different settings and running through a full cycle might change things. ??

Good thinking on opening faucets to relieve the pressure!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Richard,

Update: During our shakedown camping this past weekend, we turned the washer on Regular wash and let her rip. Bummer..... it seems it's stuck on the Spin cycle. There is a Pre-Wash selection with an associated indicator so we stopped it after about 20 minutes of it doing nothing (and of course there will be no water flow on the Spin cycle.... only wash and rinse) and waited the two minutes to open the door. We then selected Regular wash and Pre-Wash and let her rip again. Same result except it did not move from the Spin cycle and the Spin indicator was the only only one that lit up. Next step for me I think is to get the manual from the info bag and see if I can find a customer service number and call them with the model and issue I'm having. Hopefully they will direct me accordingly. On a separate note, wife said the dryer worked excellent when drying the grandboys beach towels..... I'll be back when I know more.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yay! Problem solved! (I think). So my washer was stuck on the Spin cycle and I couldn't get it to de-winterize. We messed with it more on the shakedown camp weekend with the same result. This past Friday afternoon, I was searching for a remedy online and came across a forum entry that said to reset the washer cycle, unplug the unit for 10 or so seconds and plug it back in. Well what do you know? When I plugged it back in and turned it on it went to the Wash cycle like it's supposed to do. Rather than try it in the driveway and run the washer into the gray tank, I will wait until we go camping again the last weekend of April when I'm hooked to their sewer. I have a few old white tee shirts I want for rags and I'll run those through a few cycles to get the pink out. Fingers crossed....

Thanks all for the advice and comment! As always, appreciate.

Tags
winter