Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #21
Winnebago Vita 24P

Personally I would unmount the Toilet and take a careful look, Would only take a few minutes and than maybe something obvious is protruding in the hole.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

If it's less than a foot away, I would think a flashlight would be enough to spot the problem!
It is also worth noting that ladies who want to be "equal" should be able to stick a small hand down there and find the item??
If you want to be equal, you've gotta take the thick with the thin!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
If it's less than a foot away, I would think a flashlight ... a small hand down there and find the item??
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Personally I would unmount the Toilet and take a careful look, Would only take a few minutes and than maybe something obvious is protruding in the hole.
I think these two ideas would be quick, cheap, easy, and 95% likely to solve the problem. BUT, I wouldn't dismiss the small possibility that the factory installed the wrong tank, then "fixed" the problem with a little extra plumbing.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #24
TowerRat

Apparently no one “went” this way yet ...... (sometimes I just can’t help myself ) .... part of the beauty of a simple RV toilet is, turn off the water, remove 2 nuts, and set the toilet in the shower for a minute..... viola! Instant access to the magic hole, OR the bottom of the device. One way or another, you find the source of the problem... this will quickly show if there is ANY obstruction with the black tank, and give you much closer (but maybe not cleaner) access.

(...darn, now I see that Lenore had the same idea... sorry)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

On my 2002 Adventure 35u I am pretty sure that there is an elbow at the bottom of my toilet before it enters the tank. I can not get the gizmo on the water hose to go into my tank like I could on my last Rv. And a few times when someone got carried away with the paper I have had to push it on down. But it has never been a big problem with just me and the wife and we use a lot of water.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #26
1996 Itasca 29Q

Toilet Troubles

A mirror or a borescope is what I would use. I bought a Chinesium USB borescope that hooks to my phone for around 30 bucks works great! Sounds like the toilets are mostly over the tanks so you need to see what's causing the obstruction.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I think the o.p. is describing the pipe joint in the toilet drain as it enters the tank ("jiggling to loosen the sprayer so he can get it out of the pipe") I have this feature on my Sightseer and when my daughter camped with us, she used huge amounts of paper that created the little mountain just below the flapper- the way he describes his problem. In my case it was simply that too much t.p. was used and I just used a coat hangar to move it along.There may be a rough spot or poor joint that is catching the paper and causing the clog. I have removed my toilet before and it was a tedious process- involving the disassembly of the almost unreachable water valve in back.BTW, if you take your toilet out be sure to replace that valve as well.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones033 View Post
Hey. Any help is much appreciated!

We have had our Winnie for a couple of months. It was 2 years old and lightly used when we bought it.

Every time we go #2, the toilet clogs. Every single time. A plunger clears it sometimes, and other times I have to push a water hose through it. It is not a pyramid clog or anything in the black water tank, I am pretty sure. It is clogging just below the toilet.

I have had it snaked by the dealer, who said everything looks clear. He says there is a right turn in the pipe just below the toilet. I am wondering if this is possibly a design flaw other have experienced. I can’t handle plunging and snaking every single day we camp. Help??
Two years ago, I had the same problem and i stopped putting toilet paper in the toilet. I poured a bottle of hydrogen peroxide into the toilet and some fresh water then I took the RV for a ride and then emptied it, used a garden hose to flush out any residue and emptied it again. I have not had any problems since.
winnieslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #29
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I have this thing called a flashlight, Brits call it a torch, that can project large amounts of light in any direction that you choose. Try getting one of these, a powerful one, and project some light down the drain hole to see what's down there.

If your tank is translucent poly, try illuminating the outside of the tank, if you have access, with a very bright light source that will likely illuminate the entire inside of the tank for viewing through the drain hole. Also, use an inflexible probe to pass through the drain hole, straight down, and tap the "bottom". Are you hitting tank or something else? Post someone outside and under the tank at the same time and see if they can feel the probe striking the tank. If there is an obstruction that got flushed, try moving it. It could be one of the previous owner's kid's dump trucks that had an unfortunate journey. Talk to any plumber, kids flush all sorts of stuff down the toilet.

Last option: pull the toilet off the tank and see what you have for real.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:46 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Hi folks! A friend of mine had a similar problem with clogging and after some questions with the previous owner they found out the previous owners little one had dropped a small toy in that caused continual blockages.
They had it to a dealer who verified as such. Would have been nice if the previous owner had disclosed that!
I guess ask all the questions you think you need .
Hope it gets fixed.
Dave V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

For those who might be reluctant to pull their toilet because it will be "icky":

Back in my plumbing days I pulled many a toilet to fix leaks, replace the wax ring, or just replace the whole toilet. And yes, it was sometimes messy and distasteful, but guess what? It all washes off.

And don't bite your fingernails for a while.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:41 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

To the OP. If no one has yet said it, please make sure to post the final discovery/solution. Unfortunately, way to many times the folks asking for help never follow up with a conclusion to the problem.
The solution is more than idle curiosity (although there is that) it's also what allows us to help each other with a broader knowledge base.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Consistent toilet clog

I have a 2012 Adventurer and had a similar issue last year. There is a gasket/fitting joining the pvc pipe from the toilet to the pvc pipe from the black tank. The gasket, hard rubber or similar broke and one end protruded into the pipe. Paper, etc would catch there and after some time would block the pipe. Had to be replaced.
pryorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Clogged Toilet

We have a '14 Adventurer and we get more clogs that I would like, but certainly not as bad as you are seeing. I know our problem is because the tank is fairly shallow AND Winnebago also extended the pipe too deep. We probably clear the bottom by less that 3 inches. The down pipe is straight. Our clog is always there and of course it starts with too much toilet paper. If I can recognize it early, I can usually clear it with just the spray wand. If I don't, then I have the long "rod wand" with external water hose and that quickly clears it - just a PIA. I have never had it hang up just below the ball. Unfortunately when it sticks high in the pipe, keeping the blackwater valve closed between dumps doesn't help the TP break down.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

Be sure you are using quick dissolve RV toilet paper. I use baby wipes for #2 and put the soiled ones in a big ziplock bag to go out with the garbage. More water in the bowl before you do your business? Sorry for your troubles...truly a pain...
GeoDog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Hey GeoDog55! I agree with what you said and I must add that we use regular toilet paper and don’t flush . We place it in doggy poop bags from the Dollar Store then in the garbage.
Also making sure there’s enough water in the bowl for a full
Dave V. 2018 2108DS
Dave V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:11 AM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Djones033 (OP) any solution? Update?

Tags
toilet