Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cold shower

In my old 2019 Forest River RV, when you paused the shower water, you got the same temperature water when you resumed the shower. In my 2020 Sunstar 27P, when you resume the shower, you get cold water until it warms up. Quite the shock the first time. Is this normal? Is there a way to adjust the faucet to allow more hot water to the shower head during the pause?
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

That's ironic. I rented a FR product where when you paused the shower it heated up to scalding, and I was glad my Winnebago stays the same temperature.

Not sure what causes those differences. Seemingly it would be a difference in pressure on the hot and cold side.

It's undoubtedly at the shower valve that the water is mixing and in your case hot water pushing the cold water back. That would seemingly rule out a backflow preventer at the hot water tank. Even a filter on the cold water side shouldn't cause a difference in pressure when the water is off, unless water is running somewhere else.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I always do a "navy shower" cutting off the flow while washing down and do get cool/cold water on restart but I have always assumed it was due to the water in the shower wand tubing cooling. Any difference in the type shower fittings in Forest River to now?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Any difference in the type shower fittings in Forest River to now?
I can't answer for the OP, but my Winnebago which doesn't do this has lever handles, where the FR were knobs. Levers are so much nicer for a RV because you can remember the setting of the knobs and not waste water each time you take a shower trying to get the temperature right.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Go Navy! Took navy showers for 5 years.
1975-1980.

Both showers had/have two knob faucets. I am thinking it has something to do with the valve inside the faucet shutting off the hot water during the paused time and then opening it again during the on time. Probably not adjustable. But, still hoping one of you smart people out there has an answer.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I would say this is not "normal", after all who wants to get blasted by either very cold or very hot water? However, it is very common and there are a lot of threads on various RV forums about the problem. On my coach, I have separate hot and cold faucet handles in the shower. To save water, there is a button on the shower head that greatly reduces the flow of water - but does not stop it. When that button was pressed, I would get a small stream of very cold water and it would blast out cold water when I opened that button. There are lots of theories related to water pressure differentials, mixing valves, defective check-valves, expansion tanks, etc. I don't know what is right but I removed the shower hose from the faucet and installed one of these on/off valves similar to the picture below. I got it at Lowes for about $5. I use that to pause the water flow during a shower and it solved my problem.

Some claim the leaky on/off button on the shower head is a safety feature of some sort but I'm not sure about that. I always left my new on/off valve open after we showered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower valve.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	174936  
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
To save water, there is a button on the shower head that greatly reduces the flow of water - but does not stop it.
I wonder if that's the difference? I'm pretty sure my button stops the flow entirely. I'll have to try to notice next time I'm out.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On both of mine, I used the same shower head. It dribbles when you pause the water.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
On both of mine, I used the same shower head. It dribbles when you pause the water.
Then the valve linked would be something to try.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Can’t screw it on. Faucet connection is too close to wall. Up at the shower head, the knob, when tightened faces the wall. Sigh.....
Old 09-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Can’t screw it on. Faucet connection is too close to wall. Up at the shower head, the knob, when tightened faces the wall. Sigh.....
Same problem on mine but I could remove the handle on the one I bought, screw on the valve, then pop the handle back in from the opposite side so that the knob was on the correct side.

EDIT: Here is the description for the one I bought from Lowes:
Danco Chrome 1/2-in FIP x 1/2-in Mip Straight Valve Item #652288 Model #10750
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Unless you have a hot water recirculating system on your RV there is no way for the hot water to stay hot when you shut off the flow. You could add it but I’ve never seen it on any RV. On a custom build it wouldn’t be a big deal or expense but to add it now will cost more than you might want to spend. Please let us know what you decide to do.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Unless you have a hot water recirculating system on your RV there is no way for the hot water to stay hot when you shut off the flow.
The issue happens in just a few seconds of being off. So it's not a matter of the water cooling off.

But . . . there are some systems that allow virtually instant hot water at the shower by opening a valve and running the water back into the main water tank. Once it's warm you shut off the valve. Effectively no water is wasted.

I believe Jayco puts the system in some of their units.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We had the same problem with cold water coming out after pushing the button to start hot water flow again. Solved the problem by removing the guts from check valve at the hot water outlet on the water heater. But we also don't have to winterize the plumbing so the absence of the check valve guts doesn't cause a problem with that. What the physics is behind the cold water problem I don't know, but it certainly was solved removing the check valve guts.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

After much experimenting, I found that, if the flow to the shower head is not completely shut off, it will be cold when it is turned back on. I purchased one of those add-on valves with the little paddle lever, which does shut the water off completely, and problem solved. Bones2003 above included a picture of the valve I’m talking about. I believe it has something to do with the bypass valve on the water heater, as the water will also turn cold if you are running a hot/cold mix in the sink and the water pressure from the outside hose bib drops below about 5 lbs or so.
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Bisson View Post
We had the same problem with cold water coming out after pushing the button to start hot water flow again. Solved the problem by removing the guts from check valve at the hot water outlet on the water heater.
I've been thinking about this issue and the cause, but in a low flow situation it makes sense that valve wouldn't open and water would take the course of least resistance through the cold system.

But I'm pretty sure I've had a rental RV where it was the opposite--the water got too hot with water shut off at the shower head. So maybe there's also a shortest distance factor at play??????
Old 09-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Same issue as OP. Discovered quite by accident that problem doe not occur when using water pump and fresh water from storage tank.
Thanks for the tip on the shut off valve!
Wonderdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

If you are using a shut off valve to pause the shower, and if you have greater water pressure on either the cold (more frequently), or hot side, the water will backflow from the high pressure side to the lower pressure side. Since this is usually the cold pushing back into the hot side, you get cold water when the shutoff valve is opened.

My THEORY is that most of these shutoff valves purposely drip when used, (Close position), to remind one to shut off the main hot and cold shower valves after showering, so that water isn’t constantly being back fed through your system.

Watch this video, as he explains how he remedied the issue you (most of us) are having.

https://youtu.be/BpnNZWdlcfc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A690BA7D-04BE-423C-914D-1E8376265640.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	175021  
Old 09-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
If still looking at this as a solution, there may be a workaround to make the knob come out in a different way when tight. If we really need it tight, and I never really work it too hard on showerheads as water is going to go out the end most of the time, but adding another loop or two of Teflon type tape will make the fitting feel tight at another point in the rotation.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

New valve

It appears that that valve that you have has been replaced by the one that I bought. It sure if I can take it apart.
Attached Images

Tags
shower