Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

City water valve

My water tank is filling while on city water. I have a 2000 Itasca Suncruser. Is the valve that has the issue, the on/off valve in the water bay, that I use to fill said tank from city water? If yes is such valve something I can change washers ?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

homeless, here is a link to the valve it is a FLAIR-IT 6884. There may be O-rings inside that can be replaced.
I just when out and opened a spare straight Flair-It valve I have and the only o-ring is on the upper stem. The port seals are build into the lower part of the stem. I would said just replace it. Your can google the Flair-It part number and get lots of hits.
Flair-It 6884 90 Degree 1/2 Inch P by 1/2 Inch P Drain Valve : Plumbing
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I suppose my question is, is this the only valve that can cause this issue or is there another valve some place that is causing my city water to back up in the tank? And if there is another check valve where is it?
Old 12-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

homeless It's either the city water fill valve or the check valve in the water pump.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It is easier to replace the guts of the valve than replace the valve. The internal parts are the same on either the straight thru valve or the city water internal valve. Remove handle, unscrew nut, pull out stem. The stem has 4 fingers which enclose the soft rubber seal. Replace with new parts from a new valve.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
It is easier to replace the guts of the valve than replace the valve. The internal parts are the same on either the straight thru valve or the city water internal valve. Remove handle, unscrew nut, pull out stem. The stem has 4 fingers which enclose the soft rubber seal. Replace with new parts from a new valve.
X2, on what Dan said!

These valves are not made for very high pressures......like 45 psi or more. You can extend the life infinitely longer if you discharge the pressure before you switch the valve from City to Fill. At my home I had 90 psi and the valve didn't last very long at all.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I know the pressure is not my issue as my Wife complains about it all the time.

I know where the city fill valve is and I have one on order can someone show me what the check valve at the pump looks like?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

homeless, the check valve is build into the water pump. I could not find a good part number for your pump to see if they have a rebuild kit.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I know the pressure is not my issue as my Wife complains about it all the time.

I know where the city fill valve is and I have one on order can someone show me what the check valve at the pump looks like?
Regarding pressure, I may not have made myself clear.

The valve gets damaged when it's switched under high pressure. Then later after the rubber inside is torn, the valve leaks even under low pressure. You can easily pull the front of the valve off and visually look at the internal rubber piece to see if that's your problem.

The check valve(s) in the pump can be cleaned up by soaking the valve assembly in vinegar for a couple hours to dissolve the calcium that can build up. The pumps that came in my 2 Winnies are easy to take apart and put back together.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 12-22-2015, 05:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

OK not to leave this thread hanging! After turning off the city water and using my pump and fresh water tank for a couple days. All is well again with city water. So I am guessing not using the pump for a couple months has allowed some junk to build up in one or the other valves. I also noticed that the whole house filter I have on the city water is very green. I am guessing I need to explore the idea of running vinegar or something better tasting like bleach through the system to clean up what ever is green?

Tags
water