Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

City water inlet changing?

Anyone ever changed the city water inlet? I have a 2003 35U Adventurer and I need to change it. I broke the one-way valve in the inlet when finishing winterizing Friday. I ordered the part and was just wondering the best way to do it since the manuals do not have an exploded parts diagram for this system? Do I pull the service panel or not?

Scott
Old 10-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looking at the plumbing drawings on line I would say if you can get you hand behind the panel to release the fittings you would not need to put the panel.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

page 220, item 5 is the check valve/water inlet assembly. That is a very common part to most RV's. The valve must be disconnected from the water line first, by unscrewing that nut behind the panel you remove the back-flow preventer. The 3 mounting screws may be removed, allowing the entire assembly to be removed to replace the valve if you can't get to the nut from behind the panel.
Grant Harris is right, and put all that in a compact sentence.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, I felt behind the valve. It's going to be very tight back there. It appears Winnebago changed the part from a metal assembly to an all plastic assembly--that's what I ordered from Lichtsinn. If I can get a wrench or pliers behind there, it'll be okay. Otherwise, I'm going to have remove the panel. I'll check it out more closely with a mirror and light before I do anything. It may have to wait until spring as it's starting to cool down here.

At least the cap is keeping the antifreeze in.

Scott
Old 10-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

There should be 2 screws through the face of the metal shield surrounding the inlet. Remove the screws and pull the assembly forward through the hole. The nut on our 01 Adventurer didn't use a wrench. It could be loosened with a pair of pliers. Once the nut is loose use a hair dryer to warm the tube. When the tube is warm it will come off the fitting easily. Use the hair dryer to warm the tube again before pushing it on the new valve. It'll go on a lot easier than when it's room temperature.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks! I sure hope it's that easy then it can get done as soon as the part comes in. I'll post results and perhaps some pictures to help other owners.

Thank you all, again!

Scott
Old 10-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the same valve on my Journey. By removing the screws, you can pull the valve forward to expose the nut on the opposite side. There is enough slack in the plastic piping to do that. No need to pull the panel.

It is a quick fix and not hard to do at all. FYI, you can get the valve at Camping World and many RV dealers, it is a common part used on many RVs. I didn't know that until after I ordered it thru Lichtsinn.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, when I called my dealer, he suggested that I buy the generic part, but I was unsure, so I ordered it from, "Licthsinn Motors, only one mile from Winnebago Industries in Forest City, Iowa!"

I do have a concern about the piping being plastic or tubing. The piping felt like metal so I guess I'll find out for sure. I don't know why it would be metal, but we'll see. I doubt it will be today, though... It's raining!

Scott
Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The part came in today. Tomorrow's in the 50's so I'll likely know more tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice!

Scott
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

As a side note, the part I ordered is not an exact replacement. The new part has three mount points instead of the two on the original part. Looks like some drilling. No biggie.

Scott
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

You guys are right. It can be replaced from the front. I pulled the two screws today and checked it out. It's in the 40's though and I don't want to force things when it's cold, so the next abnormally warm day we get here, I'll replace the part. Reason for waiting is that I don't break anything else due to cold. I have that bad habit.

Scott

Tags
water