Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2022, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

City Water Filtration and Treatment

Hi All:

We are getting on to 5 months on the road of a year long adventure in our new rig.

We currently are just using the water filtration system that came standard with the coach, but have seen a number of long term travelers with water softeners and external filters.

I understand some of the benefits of softening and you can't have water that is too pure to drink.

I was hoping to get some input from folks who have enhanced their fresh water systems, what you did, and how things have worked out.

Thanks!

Scott
Old 11-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #2
Site Team

We got a water softener for the RV two years ago and love the results. We live in Texas and the water is hard here,so we have and need whole house water softening. But we also travel West much of the year and our water softener really makes a difference in our RV. We got the OnTheGo single and my only complaint is that we should have bought the dual model so we could go longer between regens.

We’ve decided against water filtering and use gallon bottles of spring water for dinking and cooking. We refill the gallons while on our trips at Whole Foods and Natural Grocers/Sprouts and similar places. I’m sure we could filter the water and be fine, but my wife says even if we had the filtering that she would likely want to use bottled water anyway. At home we drink plain old unfiltered tap water. Go figure.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Since all city water is treated and filtered at the treatment plant, we only use the under-counter carbon filter for drinking and ice maker water.
I take a sample of water before attaching my hose to any CG water faucet. If it is cloudy I use a whole-house sediment filter at the CG faucet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Water

We use an inline charcoal filter on the hose next to the spigot. We hook up the hose/filter and first run some water before connecting to our trailer. Often the water is hard and leaves deposits but the filter keeps it tasting fine. We travel each each summer for 1-2 months and replace the filter every year.
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

thanks all - we basically drink only bottled water as well, though we do use the Brita and ice maker on city tap water. Sounds like we'll just keep the standard Winnie filter for now until we learn more.

Sounds like no one is softening their water? There is a Newmar down the street with one...will check in with them to see what they have to say.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
Sounds like no one is softening their water? Thanks
As I said previously... we are and love the results. Wouldn't be without it now. My only complaint is that I didn't buy the larger size. The smaller unit needs regenerated every 3-weeks or so.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
Just Trying to Help

Scott-

For several years I used a two-stage filter on the input to the coach. First was a 5-micron sediment filter, followed by a 0.5-micron carbon filter.

After spending a season at a location with very hard water, I bought an On-the-Go (OtG) Double water softener. In advance of that I put a 30-micron sediment filter; it's job was to keep larger crud out of the softener resin bed. The OtG softener fed the two-stage filter listed above.

Water softening is not just about better drinking water. When working correctly, it reduces mineral deposits inside piping and on the shower stall surfaces.

It's one thing if you're just passing through a hard-water region- you can get by without a softener. It's great to have one if you stay put in such a region.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

thanks to you both. Looks like the Double OntheGo is the consensus of my sample of two! We head to our next campground on Friday in Indio get something shipped there. I have read and been told that the softener also helps with the tanks/gauges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBLSoftener.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	184728  
Old 12-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

all hooked up. Wife loves it! I was hoping for a few minor miracles such as my tank gauges working again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wtgo.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	184833  
Old 01-11-2023, 01:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Am pretty happy with the results so far - wife loves her hair and skin and less/no water spots. I like the how the water tastes and the fact that dots are now reappearing (disappearing?) on my tank gauges. Had some random gray tank smell up front, too and that seems to have gone away! Still going strong on my initial tank.

One question for you two - what do you do with your tanks when you travel - poor the water out or just keep it in? It was pretty heavy when it was time to drive from Palm Springs area to Tucson and I ended up dumping it out before putting it in storage a compartment, but my gut tells me I should have left it in...
Could not find anything from the manufacturer about what to do, but a good chance I missed it.
Thanks as always!

Tags
water