Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2022, 09:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cannot figure how to add water 2019 Minnie Plus

Just bought a 2019 Minnie Plus. I like the layout but the water hookups are not good in my opinion. If you are camping in a National Park with no hookups how are you supposed to add water. After reading several online sites I cannot get water to go into the fresh water tank. We always travel with a dry trailer due to
the extra weight. Thanks ahead for any advise.

Randy
Rocko111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Most of us travel with at least 1/3rd of a tank of fresh water as a minimum. You’ve not given us a clue as to which 2019 Minnie Plus you have. When I looked for info I found both travel trailers and 5th Wheel trailers named Minnie Plus.

Usually, you should have both a city water connection for attaching a hose and a gravity fill that is more of a hole with a cap or cover that lets you fill the fresh tank with a hose or even a jug.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Without info on what you have, we are really left shooting in the dark but maybe one idea will fit.
If you have a connection which looks like a garden hose connection, look for a valve next/near it to turn from"fill" for filling tank to "normal for using directly into the RV.
If you do have this style, besure to return the valve to normal after filling the tank as it is likely to not give full use of the pump if left in fill position!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sorry about lack of info. My fifth wheel is a 2019 Winnie Minnie Plus. I have the Kant Leak valve for adding water which needs to be hooked up to a hose.
A lot of our camping is dry camping in National parks. Normally in the past after a few days when we ran low on water I would go to a camp faucet and fill a 5 gallon water tank and pour in the trailer. With the Kant Leak valve you cannot just pour water in the trailer it has to be hooked to a faucet. Many National Parks do not have normal faucets in the campsites. And moving the trailer once you are setup is a big pain. The fresh water tank is only 50 gallons and with cooking, using the bathroom, and a shower every couple days 50 gallons does no last long. Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

No prob on the info! It is one of the most common first responses we often have to give as so many ofus do forget that the folks on the forum don't know!
But that brings around how little I know about some of the newer RV.
Never heard of the Kant Leak and had to do a search for any info. Seems like somebody invented a solution looking for problem???
Lots of videos but found none to address what you want but there should be a simple solution out there.
Sorry , No help here from me.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I tried one solution which was to turn the knob to sanitize and the water pump will draw water into the trailer. This did not work too well as filling the water tank would take forever but another guy suggested buying a harbour freight water pump to fill the tank from a 5 gallon water can. They pump at over 250 gallons an hour. This should work for me if we run out of water while camping somewhere without a hookup. Thanks for your help
Old 05-27-2022, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Team

My previous RV had both a city water diverter and a gravity fill. But our favorite National Forest campground has those water stations with spigots and no hose bibs. When we first started camping there I did the 6 gal water haul routinely. Then one year I found a 40 gal water bladder at Camping World. You drive your truck to the spigot and put the bladder on the roof or in the bed and using a “water cheater” device you fill up the bladder and drive back to your RV.

Then I bought a cheap 12v water pump, mounted it on a board and added a cigarette plug on a long cord.

Then all I had to do was back my truck up to the RV, connect a drinking water hose, plug in the pump and in minutes I had 40 gals of fresh water in the tank.

This kind of setup is kind of overkill but would certainly work for your RV and that Kant Leak water fill.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My Journey doesn't even have a gravity fill port
Old 05-29-2022, 09:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

A lot of newer trailers do not have a gravity fill. We have the same issue on our 2022 trailer. The only way to fill it is using an external pump and a 5 gal bottle or similar water source.

I am getting another RV water pump and will mount and wire it permanently. A cheaper solution would be to use the winterizing port of your existing pump and add a T fitting to the pump outlet. Then add a short piece of garden hose with a shut off valve. Obviously, that would only work if you existing pump is in close proximity of your water fill port. It is on our trailer.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you have a winterizing hookup, simply change the valve at the city water hookup to "Tank fill", and use the onboard pump to draw water through the winterizing line. It will dump the water into the tank.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
If you have a winterizing hookup, simply change the valve at the city water hookup to "Tank fill", and use the onboard pump to draw water through the winterizing line. It will dump the water into the tank.
This may only work on some RV as it is a frequent problem for folks to not be able to use their water pump as they draw air at the diverter valve if left in the fill position. The check valve at the water inlet is spring operated to hold water from going out but it lets air in if we leave it wrong.

Depends on where and how the lines run.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hey thanks for all the advice everyone. I have solved my problem. I bought a 12 volt water pump from Amazon that I can hook up to my inlet and fill from a water jug. I also bought the odd fitting that connects to the inlet. Its called a garden hose quick connector fitting. Real pain to find but Amazon had it.

Tags
water