Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Boldt air in plumbing lines

Not new to RV plumbing but new to the Boldt.
My water pump seems to run constantly and I believe it's due to air in the lines that prevents the pressure build up to the cut off level. Occasionally pressure will build up enough for the pump to shut down but rarely. I have tried to bleed the system and spent almost 1/2 fresh tank and am still getting burps and pump run ons because of air in the lines.

As I understand it the only way air can enter the system is through the pump water intake or if the pump is turned off and water drained from the system to the point air enters through the outlet (faucet or toilet or---).

Could the water draw line be above water level in the tank? Fill draw seems to enter the tank from the top.
HELP! Don't want to burn out my water pump by it constantly running
raytaylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you have any visible water leaks along plumbing lines? When my water pump starts cycling (to stabilize loss of pressure) most of the time it's because of a leak. I would also check the condition of backflow valves.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not sure how your unit is set up but a bad city water inlet check valve can cause the pump to run like that but you should see leaking at the inlet. If so just cap it off and see if the pump works correctly.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Vita 24P

Yes check for water leakage. If you have white braided hose, check the connections. They should not have PEX clamps. These are not designed for the soft white braided hoses. They will leak, Trust me. We on the VITA and Porto have been experiencing this bad install from Winnebago. The potential leak can be fixed with automotive screw clamps.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Understanding why the pump runs is one thing. The pump has a pressure sensing item built in and it is adjustable to get different pressure but it should pump to the adjusted pressure and then shut off until the the line pressure drops.
So what folks are suggesting is that there is a leak at some point where that pressure is leaking out!
It can be the check valve at the fill port but it also can be at some spot underneath where there is a leak you've not spotted yet so I would suggest looking really carefully before it keeps getting thing like the floor wet until there is need for a major repair!

If you screw a solid plug into the fill port and it still keeps cycling, then a leak is almost certain. Something like this is one option if you are not able to find one near you.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22103-R...ag=googhydr-20
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the ideas. The fact that the pump occasionally does pressure up and stop makes me wonder about leaking out. All plumbing is internal on the Boldt and there is braided line here and there so will replace clamps with automotive type and will look at check valves.
Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

All water pumps have o rings, they can crack, and break.
Or not in place correctly.
Also, there is a plastic cover that can crack too.it will let air in when you pump.
Make sure your winterize valve is shut and sealed too
Most common cause of a continuously running pump.
Also, make sure your water fill is closed and sealed.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

the facebook page -- boldt owners and wannabes has great advice as well
jktsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks and the story continues

So I replaced 4 PEX clamps on the in/out put pump flex lines with auto clamps. The new input line (original was kinked) is clear and after all was buttoned up I am now able to see the large air bubbles the pump is drawing in. The question now is from where.

These are large air bubbles not from a pin hole leak or a leak on the output side. Sealed off the winterizing system, no change. There are several elbows and clamps but all seem good. Maybe a water tank input line drawing air?

Will continue to investigate. Maybe time to go to a Winne dealer as we're still under warranty. But sure would like to solve it myself.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Air in incoming waterline

FOUND IT! Turns out the water fill line that looks just like the shore/city water line connection T's into the line between the water tank and the pump. That connection, like the city line, has a check valve at the hose connection point but it checks outgoing pressure and air was being drawn in through that connection.

I blocked that inlet with a 3/4" plug (threads don't match but was tight enough to seal) and no more air draw.

I called Winnebago, they are sending me a replacement connector with the same check valve thinking maybe the spring in mine is weak? Doesn't seem logical to stop in coming air/water with an outgoing check valve. This needs a switch or on/off lever or a incoming check valve that is deactivated when a hose is connected.

I wonder how many others have this happening and don't know it and just assume its normal and switch off the water pump.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Good news.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing