Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Black Water Valve Stuck-Minnie Plus 5th Wheel

Hello Everyone !

We have a new Minnie Plus (2019) we bought last summer. We've never used until a week ago. We just used it this past week and every since it was 1/3 full we have been trying the valve to test emptying both the Grey and the Black. The Grey Valve pulled right out and emptied no problem.

The black valve handle has never pulled out. It is stuck feeling, no movement or give. We tried to reach La Mesa RV in West Sacramento where we purchased it for help. They are closed, their San Diego office is open and occasionally their Phoenix office answers their phones. They say their techs cannot provide service during COVID.

We went online and did some research and the most reasonable sounding tips we found and tried were
1. Pour a bottle of Dawn Dish Soap down the toilet to tank to lube the valve. We poured 1 bottle down at about 1/2 full, and a 2nd bottle down the toilet when the tank was basically full.

2. Tap the outside of the valve with a piece of wood and hammer. We did this with a screwdriver end as much as we could get around the valve.

It is still stuck and not pulling out with the handle.

Grateful for the help ! Hope you and your families are all safe and well !
VFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Like you, my black tank valve was stuck on my 2017 Mini 2108 TT - it took all of my 250+ lbs yanking on the black handle to finally coax it open; which I did thankfully before my trip.

The Black valve seems to be a loooooong way away from the handle, and the connector to the tank valve has quite a bit of play both in and out. The Grey valve is much easier to operate and much closer to the handle.

When I close the Black valve, I have to push in HARD and FAST to get it to fully close - if I don't, there is a mess to clean up when I pull the sewage cap at the next dump.

I finally installed a tank bung and garden hose connector with a cap in the sewage cap so I can open a Garden hose cap to let it drain into the stinky slinky before I pull the 3" cap in case either valve is not fully closed.

These trailer valves seem to be real problem areas.
mcginna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Having the same issue right now with my 2019 Minni winni Black water valvue is stuck closed after only being used three times. Tried all the tricks like you with no luck, even put my 300lbs of body weight on it and it does not budge. I have made a warranty claim on it.
rescued711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2015 Micro Minnie 1706. Have noticed the black tank valve handle has been very hard to open from the start. I’ve read many forms about all of the tips of soaps and lubricants etc. and now the valve is stuck closed. With water in the bowl. ��
I took off the undercarriage protector and insulation and discovered all of the drainage pipes and the coiled up “flexible” coiled T handle and valve assembly. WHY can’t the valve be under the carriage like all the rest of the RV’s??? So discouraging-

So.... I will need to replace the valve and am going to do the grey while I’m at it. Has anyone removed the valve location so it is at the side of the trailer instead of hidden underneath In the middle it the trailer All covered up? I’ve seen a never Micro Minnie where it’s right below the tire and fully exposed for emptying and flushing- sure you loose a smidge of clearance but WHO cares if there no more flexible wire 5 feet long and coiled tugging on the poor valve with hundreds of pressure of liquids pressed against it! Appreciate any thoughts and help -
Atadnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginna View Post
Like you, my black tank valve was stuck on my 2017 Mini 2108 TT - it took all of my 250+ lbs yanking on the black handle to finally coax it open; which I did thankfully before my trip.

The Black valve seems to be a loooooong way away from the handle, and the connector to the tank valve has quite a bit of play both in and out. The Grey valve is much easier to operate and much closer to the handle.

When I close the Black valve, I have to push in HARD and FAST to get it to fully close - if I don't, there is a mess to clean up when I pull the sewage cap at the next dump.

I finally installed a tank bung and garden hose connector with a cap in the sewage cap so I can open a Garden hose cap to let it drain into the stinky slinky before I pull the 3" cap in case either valve is not fully closed.

These trailer valves seem to be real problem areas.
Quick update: I finally was able to schedule a trip to my dealer. They replaced both the Black and Grey valves since they were both stuck. As Atadnomad indicates, the valve assemblies are opened by a long flexible cable which has to be coiled up to fit the designated length.

The dealer told me to work open/closed the valve a couple times a month to keep it from freezing up due to corrosion and to lubricate with silicone lubricant (slide lube spray will do). This is absurd - with as many of these Travel Trailers they have manufactured, it seems ridiculous they were not fitted with the appropriate length of cable which does not have to be coiled up in the under carriage.

I hope someone from Winnebago monitors these forums to correct some of these issues.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had the same issue on my Grand Design Reflection 28BH 5er (i.e., long coiling valve cable that stuck). Luckily the issue was corrosion right at the handle (first six inches where the handle "shaft" went through a guide sleeve. Twisting the handle shaft with some channel locks (not pulling on the handle) broke the corrosion and the handle was freed. I then cleaned it up and applied white lithium grease. Every week when I checked on the trailer (in storage) I would simply wiggle the handle (rotate it slightly back and forth). I never had any trouble again.

I'm not saying this will solve it for the Winnebago units, but just tossing it out there as something to try if you have a stuck handle.

Tags
water