Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black Water Tank Leak

2003 Adventurer 33V.

Just noticed a water leak on the ground back near the propane tank. Small leak coming from the aluminum pan on the bottom of the coach. The black tank is above it. The toilet was used and apparently the tank is now full (note: I immediately emptied it when I noticed the leak). We had been out for a bit and there was no leak, got back and the toilet was used and the leak appeared. I suspect it is from the gasket around where the toilet enters the tank. This was the first time we have had signs of a leak. Anyone have trouble with the toilet gasket to tank seal?

A side note - how is the bottom pan composed? I know the outer skin is aluminum, is there insulation and plywood inside of that or just aluminum?

Richard Grom
Old 02-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't know that I would assume this to be the true cause of the leak, unless there was lots more done to make certain where the water comes from, I would not start tearing the floor open just yet. Water has lots of really sneaky ways to leak one spot and come out in a totally different area. Small points like whoever used the toilet may have also run water in the vanity and the drain is leaking? Too many other potential spots for me to jump just yet.
What's the weather where you are? Any chance of a simple freeze and leak to keep in mind?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

No freeze up, been 40+ degrees here lately and no sign of a leak prior to this one. I'm monitoring it now that the black tank has been drained the valve is closed again so as it fills up I will be monitoringl. It could be the gray tank but it is forward of the black tank and this water was to the outside part of the black tank which runs laterally across the coach. The toilet sits atop the right side of the tank.

Richard
Old 02-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay, new understanding! When you said full, did you mean totally FULL? I always stop before it reaches that level as there are vents and such which I have never wanted to know if they leaked! Perhaps just too full and it ran out? Not something I ever wanted to press too hard and find that yuck stuff all over some compartment.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My Analysis

My guess is the rubber donut that goes between the toilet and tank leaked. As mentioned, no leaks after it was emptied and no leaks now in using it. I guess we got it too full. My wife had used it and she doesn't look down the hole while flushing like I do so it probably went over full. I will monitor it more closely from now on. I know the level gauge is pretty nearly worthless. It read 2/3 full right after emptying it.
gromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromhome View Post
My guess is the rubber donut that goes between the toilet and tank leaked. As mentioned, no leaks after it was emptied and no leaks now in using it. I guess we got it too full. My wife had used it and she doesn't look down the hole while flushing like I do so it probably went over full. I will monitor it more closely from now on. I know the level gauge is pretty nearly worthless. It read 2/3 full right after emptying it.
Fully understand us looking to check and the wife not wanting to look!!!
The gauges have gotten better as new designs come out but they still can get something hook on the inside of the tank and make it read full when it's empty. Kinbd of part of that not wanting to look thing but I find I have good luck blowing any of that stuff that hangs up off the wall if I go at it right. There are all kinds of "magic" wands, etc. on the market but the one that seems to work as well as any and much cheaper is a gizmo meant for cleaning leaves out of gutters. Attachs to a garden hose and has a swivel at the working end to direct it up, down and any place I want to hit directly with the water. Also comes with a water shutoff built in which can be a lifesaver when inside the RV.
Might want to try one of these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-V...8710/203871968
Old 02-10-2020, 06:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Black tank leak

........here’s what I’ve learned from my own black tank leak .........OEMs basically use the same black tank. When they are assembling the trailer, they have to drill a hole in the tank to fit the confirm the particular unit they are building. Sometimes they do not Fix the waste pipe properly in the tank and seal it. This will result in a leak especiallywhen approaching a full tank. This was my issue, and necessitated the installation of a new tank. Only way to be sure is remove the coroplast and visually inspect that joint in the tank while filling.
jimpav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank, water