Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Itasca Sunrise - when I hook up the hose to flush out the black water tank - the water does not flow into the tank. Is anyone aware of a shut off valve somewhere that would need to be opened?

Thanks
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Itasca Sunrise - when I hook up the hose to flush out the black water tank - the water does not flow into the tank. Is anyone aware of a shut off valve somewhere that would need to be opened?

Thanks
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sorry on the first post I misread what you asked! I had an 2000 model and I do not think there is any sut off. the line goes into the back of the tank and might ne kinked, but If you hear the water running in the hose it has to be going to the black or grey water tank, or into a compartment. I got one of those 6" clear extensions so you can see what comes out. When I hook up the rinse hose a lot of times no water can be seen running through because there is a blockage holding it back in the black tank, most of the time it will break through with persistance but if not you might have to use other methods sugested on this site for breaking up clogs (lots of ice cubes, water softner, additonal tank flush, etc.). I also when avaliable have the wife fill the toilet three of four times extra full and let it go while I view the clear extension and always extra comes out.

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:41 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Bob,

The black tank flushing systems will have a check valve on the input fitting. The check valve is usually the same time that would be on your city water hookup. You might be familiar with them that the hose fitting has a washer with attached screen inside. If you remove that screen and washer, you'll see a small plastic button connected to the spring loaded disc that is the check valve. Back pressure of water holds the valve closed to prevent back flow.

I suspect the check valve is stuck closed. Try removing the screen and pressing the small button. I think then after you hook up the hose again, it will work.

Just a caution, those check valves on the city water inlet can be damaged if they are pressed with water pressure against them. Typically, you should always release water pressure by opening hot and cold faucets before pushing the check valve button. In this case, there should not be any back pressure since it's only connected to the flushing system.

Joe
Old 04-06-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Bob,

I seem to remember a discussion about this a year or so ago. The advice was to open the faucet slowly and not hit that check valve a sudden pressure. Good results were reported with that technique.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have no back flow valve at the inlet of my flush inlet. It use to work just fine. Now when you hook up to water pressure, water will not flow back to the tank. When you remove the hose water pressure comes back out. A sure sign of a blockage somewhere. I can not see in far enough to where the line enters the tank. Has any one tried low pressure air to releas a possible blockage? If so, what is maximum pressure you would try?
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would check the vacume breaker, on mine it is located under the bathroom sink.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

bdaball, to me thats a sure sign that your check valve is stuck. Follow Joe-K instructions and it should work. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DancinCampers:
I would check the vacume breaker, on mine it is located under the bathroom sink. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe black tanks have vacuum breakers. Mine has a 2-3" vent pipe directly up to the roof. The gray tank joins into it on a "Y" fitting.

The vacuum breaker under the bathroom sink is to keep the sink's "P" trap from being sucked dry when dumping. The shower drain does not have a separate vac. breaker since the sink breaker will keep it from draining.

The Vac. Breaker for the kitchen sink is under the the sink compartment.

I do understand that Winne plumbs coaches in different ways so I may be wrong. Check your plumbing diagram at their web site - Plumbing diagrams.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I agree with Joe K and tomsm ... the anti siphon check valve is not letting the water flow ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Here is a pic of my backflush connector, it does not have a checkvalve like my fresh water connection does.

Here is a pic of my backflush vacume breaker (these are also known as backflow preventer and anti-siphon valves), located under the bathroom sink. This valve prevents black tank liquid from flowing out into the water hose by breaking the vacume.

Here is a pic of my grey tank vent air inlet (there is another one under the kitchen sink). This valve lets air into the drain line but not out.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

i betcha the check valve broke loose and parts of it are somewhere inside the line to the black water tank, blocking the hose. don't think u can backflow it. i guess that means u will have to dissassemble it. good luck!!!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote