Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New (to us) 2000 Adventurer 37G Ford. First trip out, 400 miles from home, preparing to leave, and black tank won't open. Cable comes out, rod extends from valve, but valve doesn't open.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

New (to us) 2000 Adventurer 37G Ford. First trip out, 400 miles from home, preparing to leave, and black tank won't open. Cable comes out, rod extends from valve, but valve doesn't open.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glarnold:
Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This has happened to me once. In my case I could see the blade. The resolution was to stick the blade of a screw driver into the blade, slide it back as far as it'll go, remove the screw driver, and put the hose on!

YUK!

Believe it or not the rush of tank material from the suddenly open valve was not that great. You would be surprised how fast you can get a sewer hose on.

Once the tank drained down it was easier to clean the area, get at the bad valve and change it.

Not exactly the good news you were expecting I bet, but my handle broke off and I couldn't re-thread it back on.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick response. In this case, I can't even see the valve. It's up and behind the large metal box for all the water controls. I can just reach up behind there, and feel the things move. I think they'll (the dealer where I just bought it) have to remove the water control box to even access the valve or slide.

We head back in the morning. I think we'll be in the dealer's lot on Tuesday.

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Not being able to see the valve, you really don't know whether or not the valve is opening. It is possible it is not -- that the pull rod came loose from the valve gate. It also is possible that the gate IS opening, but the drain is plugged with solid "stuff". If the latter, you might be able to free things up with a water hose stuck up the dump connection and turn it on. If nothing at all comes out other than clean water, the valve gate likely is not opening at all.

Don't know on your rig, but my dump valves are most accessible by removing the wall of the storage compartment immediately in front of the water service bay. I can see the valves by removing the metal plates in the service bay, but cannot reach them unless I go in from the storage compartment.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

One of the reasons we traded our 2000 was having to use cables to open and shut the valves, usually they stretch and don't fully close the valve. I wonder if the cable has come off that it won't open. Good Luck
Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If the cable shield comes loose from the clevis just before the gate valve, it will not function. It can be accessed from behind the panel in front with the water hook ups. You will be working blind, but I have had to tighten mine a couple of times. Used a very short phillips #2. Lousy set up for something used so much.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

OK. Thanks, all, for the help.

Today, had a little more time to work on it. Got out a black tank flush gizmo I had in the garage. Clear plastic, fits in-line with drain hose, has a hose connection, a valve on the end with a pull handle, and can run water up to tank, drain, or rinse. With the black tank valve open, and running water in with this gizmo, I could tell the black tank slide valve was actually open. Ran in, and drained out, gallons and gallons of water. Added many more gallons top-side through the toilet. And many more gallons through the waste tank flush inlet. Water moved very slowly at first. Eventually, things started to come out. About 3 hours of flushing finally got the process working. Managed to mostly empty the black tank. A great relief.

Now, the problem. It appears that we received the coach from the dealer with a black tank valve that has a slow leak. When we were camped for a week, the liquids in the black tank were slowly leaking out and disappearing down the drain. Leaving the solids to become more solid, thus plugging the valve. Appears to be the reason the tank wouldn't drain.

Short of disassembling or replacing the valve, is there a procedure that can help clean the slide assembly? (I know, wishful thinking.)

Thanks to all for your help.

G. L. Arnold