Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Black tank T-handle come out when pulled

I guess I don't know my own strength! When I pulled the T-handle to empty the black tank, the whole handle came out in my hand. Now what? Tried to "push it" back in to no avail. Anyone dealt with this? Thanks!
1win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Just Trying to Help

1win-

When you say "whole handle," do you mean the handle and the shaft?

I believe the shaft is threaded on the blade end. That means you should be able to screw the shaft back into the blade- gently, of course.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

yes the handle and shaft. I'll give it try, again. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 AM   #4
Just Trying to Help

1win-

Hmm... This post in this thread

Waste valve handle and rod pulled out of the valve

says the valve blade may not be threaded, which would preclude threading the existing rod back into the blade.

Here's another thread on the topic:

Black water valve broke free. Need help please

I'd be tempted to get a valve extension rod (link here), or any threaded rod of the correct diameter, then insert the threaded end into the valve and see if I could get the threaded portion to "bite" enough into the blade to gently open the valve.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

definitely worth a try- thanks!
Old 10-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the threads aren't grabbing, you could coat the end with something like JB Weld's Water Weld putty:

https://www.jbweld.com/product/waterweld-epoxy-putty

Once you get your tank empty, I'd suggest replacing the valve asap.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would just replace the valve, they not that expensive and your tank is empty right now. Just think about it what happens when you perform some kind of make-shift fix and the valve won't open when you try to dump tanks the next time.
I sure would want to change the valve on a full black tank......very messy and nasty.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Itasca owner

It sounds like your tank is NOT empty. I had the same issue years ago and came up with a good solution (I'm a retired plumber). You have to replace the valve anyway, so go underneath and drill a 1/4" hole in the back of the valve right in the middle where the slide is. Use the rod and push the slide open to empty the tank, you won't get more than a small amount of water out. Once it's empty you can go ahead and replace the valve. Yes, I am a genius.

If I misunderstood and you were successful in emptying the tank before it broke, you're home free, just replace it.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I would sure like to hear what you figured out, or did. I have a similar problem.... valve won't move. 2108DS is less than a year old... lightly used. I did winterize it this year, including flushing the toilet until the orange stuff came into the toilet, and some down the drain to make sure there would be some in the black tank. We have rarely done the real stinky in the black tank... mostly just peepee, and we flush it good at dump stations. But now, during de-winterizing, the handle won't pull out. I don't want to break it! Uggggh.
ScopeDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #10
Itasca owner

Stuck valve...same solution as above, just drill the small hole in back and insert some small 1/4" rod in the hole and pound it with a hammer to break the slide loose. Once it's open and drained you can replace it. I'd suggest flush the tank well when you get it open, makes it nicer when you replace the valve.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Black valve finally worked loose.

Finally, kept working it, used some silicone spray on the 1/4" of shaft that was exposed and moving a bit, and exercised a lot of patience. It finally came free, but is still stiff. I'm lubricating and exercising it now, and will continue over the next couple of hours. Still, I wonder if there is any liquid I can put down the toilet that might lubricate/clean a bit on the inside without harm. Vinegar? Wesson oil? Nitro Glycerine? Hah! Any experience with that? I hope I don't have to take it apart, as most of the mechanism is "under cover" that provides a lot of protection from the elements. Thanks for your tips.
ScopeDope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, led, tank