Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

G'day,

I am finding that I am getting the black tank smell in the basement storage compartments. I had sealed a few places where the smell was getting inside and have had good, not total success. Since doing that I guess the smell is now concentrated in the basement.

I pulled my wet bay apart to see what I could see...nothing and I carn't get into the other side where the toilet and vent penetrate the tank. As the tank only has three holes, and the drain shows no leaks I feel one of the other two must be leaking.

My main question is can I get to these points and if so how. My second question is do you have any other ideas?

My old '96 never had problems like this.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

G'day,

I am finding that I am getting the black tank smell in the basement storage compartments. I had sealed a few places where the smell was getting inside and have had good, not total success. Since doing that I guess the smell is now concentrated in the basement.

I pulled my wet bay apart to see what I could see...nothing and I carn't get into the other side where the toilet and vent penetrate the tank. As the tank only has three holes, and the drain shows no leaks I feel one of the other two must be leaking.

My main question is can I get to these points and if so how. My second question is do you have any other ideas?

My old '96 never had problems like this.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Check your stored sewer hose. I found my hose had a foul smell. I tried rinsing it out and it still smelled. I replaced the hose and the smell was eliminated.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had a similar problem on my 96 Winnebago.
The closet flange on the floor under the toilet had a PVC extension tube that protruded through a tight gasket on the top of the black water tank. The gasket was torn (maybe during installation at the factory) and allowed odor to escape. The toilet is easy to remove - 2 screws - and the closet flange is also easy to remove - 4 or 6 screws.
Might be worth a check.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I know it isn't the hose as I have been workamping for 3 months and the hose has not been off however I do have another hose I will check out.

I have had the toilet out for various reasons but haven't lifted the flange. Not sure how that goes together or for that matter comes apart! I tried to see it from the outside but I cannot. The parts diagrams don't show much.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
abn
Winnebago Camper

Have you tried double dosing the black and grey tanks with the treatment chemicals when you dump them?

I do this, along with dumping more frequently, all summer long and it really helps to control odors.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You have not indicated if the odor problem is a new problem or if it has been on going. If it is a new problem, you might want to check that something has not damaged/pushed down your vent for the tanks on the roof. You have not indicated, but I hope you are not leaving your black tank valve open. If so I suggest closing the valve and dumping the tank appropriately.
The increased dosing of the tank may help in the hot weather we have been having.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I never ever leave my black tank valve open. I always flush the tank when I dump. The problem has been there for some time and I cannot access the toilet or vent points of entry to the tank.

I don't believe that I should have a smell in the basement storage area no matter how bad the tank contents might smell. Maybe I could have a smell from the roof vent but that would not show in the storage area. I really believe I have a air leak somewhere as I see now liquid signs of leaking.

Old 07-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Eat less Vegemite.

The Wombat knows!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

That's how I keep my youthful good looks!

Old 07-23-2006, 02:23 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I would dump and rinse the tank and then start filling it with clean water and observe it filling from the basement, and try and determine just where it is leaking from, if indeed it is leaking at all.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Just haven't got to filling the tank to fill or spill. That would be a solution if it isn't too bad of a leak and if it is where I would expect it to be then I have no idea how to do anything about it as there is no access to the tank penetrations.