Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
dawn and fabric softner

We keep our tank fresh and clean with a half cup of dawn, cup of tide liquid cold water detergent, cup of fabric and quart of bleach. Dawn brakes down oily fats, tide detergent smell good, fabric softener acts a surfactant and bleach help keep down bacteria.

At the end of the trip or at discharge we have a better release of solids from the tank. I find that the water flush simply runs water just under the toilet and dumps into the tank very low or no odor
Old 01-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
We keep our tank fresh and clean with a half cup of dawn, cup of tide liquid cold water detergent, cup of fabric and quart of bleach. Dawn brakes down oily fats, tide detergent smell good, fabric softener acts a surfactant and bleach help keep down bacteria.

At the end of the trip or at discharge we have a better release of solids from the tank. I find that the water flush simply runs water just under the toilet and dumps into the tank very low or no odor
Please reconsider the bleach as it kills the bacteria required for good septic system functioning. You may be damaging your hosts system.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

keepin it clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Please reconsider the bleach as it kills the bacteria required for good septic system functioning. You may be damaging your hosts system.
I don't allow it to become septic in the first place. We try to keep it clean with a washout after each trip. We don't add any emzines because it gets cleaned out after a few days. The detergents and the sloshing around keep every thing very liquid for a smoooooth release.

same thing we did in our boat for 30 years. it had a 60 gallon custom black tank. at the end of every pump out, it was cleaned with a built in twirly I made from an old lawn sprinkler. never had to worry about odor venting to the deck.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:33 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

We use a product made by Unique Mfg. It's called Rv-DiGest it. I hands down have never used anything that works like this stuff. Check it out, you won't be sorry.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I think he meant you'll be damaging the septic system at the campground when you dump your bleach solution into their septic system. For many years the thought was to keep the black tank smell down by by putting formaldehyde in black tank chemicals.

About 10 years ago the manufacturers and users realized it was also killing the bacteria in the campground and home septic systems. These systems need the bacteria to dissolve solids or they will plug up in short order. Very few if any commercial tank cleaners that have bleach, formaldehyde or any other chemical in them that kills the bacteria.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

do not use campgrounds

[QUOTE=Hikerdogs;1907276]I think he meant you'll be damaging the septic system at the campground when you dump your bleach solution into their septic system.

That small amount of bleach would be insignificant and about the same amount used in washing several loads of clothing. Whats more, we rarely ever stay at a camp grounds. we use municipal dump stations or even our own septic system at our house in Florida. In Jersey, we dump into the municapal cleanout trap or stop at the rest areas.

I find my method satifactory for the two of us.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE=ladagobago;1907923]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I think he meant you'll be damaging the septic system at the campground when you dump your bleach solution into their septic system.

That small amount of bleach would be insignificant and about the same amount used in washing several loads of clothing. Whats more, we rarely ever stay at a camp grounds. we use municipal dump stations or even our own septic system at our house in Florida. In Jersey, we dump into the municapal cleanout trap or stop at the rest areas.

I find my method satifactory for the two of us.
My friend, you are no longer on a boat in a big body of water. Please consider the larger picture. If all of us were to adapt the method you use, what then would be the environmental impact to the septic systems at the facilities with closed systems?

Many of us have been on the road for years as full-timers. We have functioning and clean tanks without taking measures as drastic yours are.

Enzymes are good for the environment and do no harm to our tanks. The septic systems we us as we travel have to be considered by us, the users. No mater if we dump in a rest area or a private camp ground, we are accepting the convenience some considerate person has provided for us.

Camping, as a small boy, I was taught by my father to be considerate of those who would be coming in after we left. We restored the site back to clean and neat. We avoided doing anything in a deliberate manner that cause harm to the campground. I consider a gallon of bleach per dump damaging and non reversible. Do this in larger numbers and in a short time span and the owner of the system has a great expense on their hands. The ones responsible for the property damage won't even know what they did if not educated to the long term ramifications. I hope this is what I am accomplishing here.

I applaud your creative method of sanitizing your black tank. But the effect is not as healthy as you think. Enzyme power detergent or another similar product, a good built in wall flush system and smart usage of what goes down the flush will do just fine.

Happy trails to all of us.

Rick
Old 02-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Maybe in the running for the worst way to maintain a dump tank system ever. I'm sure you see a lot of solids coming out. You are keeping them from liquefying.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
Maybe in the running for the worst way to maintain a dump tank system ever. I'm sure you see a lot of solids coming out. You are keeping them from liquefying.
Who are your comments referring to?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Gent who thinks bleach in a black tank is a good idea.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Just a little to much education

[QUOTE=jerichorick;1908559]
Quote:

My friend, you are no longer on a boat in a big body of water. Please consider the larger picture. If all of us were to adapt the method you use, what then would be the environmental impact to the septic systems at the facilities with closed systems?

Many of us have been on the road for years as full-timers. We have functioning and clean tanks without taking measures as drastic yours are.
Happy trails to all of us.

Rick
Thanks for the berating educational dialog.
If I was full time and hooked up to a camp ground like you, Yes, I would follow such procedures. I use my MH 4 times a year and the rest of the time the black tank is spotless. The DW nor I want the smell of septic in the RV.

As for the Boat, you must know that boats do not discharge into bodies of water, rather they use shore side pump stations that suck the effluent out of the holding tanks. At our club we have nicknamed the pump Monica.

Again, my little bit of sodium hydroxide is a drop in the bucket when mixed with 30,000 other homes in a municipal digester sewer system. "Bleach" gasses rapidly and breaks down into "salts and water" in the tank. Any active element of bleach reacts rapidly in the piping and it would take a whole lot of bleach to affect most digestive septic tanks.

you and I have different life styles and certainly different use of our MH. If I were to be in your situation, I would use enzymes too. But I'm not 24/7. At my age 74 IDGAS.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The DW nor I want the smell of septic in the RV
Neither do we. We were 24/7 for seven years, and now are part time. We have never, and do not now, use any chemical of any kind in the black tank other than coconut oil once or twice a year to lube the dump valve seals. I dump only when needed due to volume in the tank, then I flush the tank after each dump. We have never had sewer smells in the RV.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Neither do we. We were 24/7 for seven years, and now are part time. We have never, and do not now, use any chemical of any kind in the black tank other than coconut oil once or twice a year to lube the dump valve seals. I dump only when needed due to volume in the tank, then I flush the tank after each dump. We have never had sewer smells in the RV.
Exactly - us too except ten years full timing - water only like you.

Except for the roof vents it's a sealed system. If there is odor in the RV there is a problem that needs to be addressed not covered up with perfume.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE=ladagobago;1909834]
Quote:

Thanks for the berating educational dialog.
If I was full time and hooked up to a camp ground like you, Yes, I would follow such procedures. I use my MH 4 times a year and the rest of the time the black tank is spotless. The DW nor I want the smell of septic in the RV.

As for the Boat, you must know that boats do not discharge into bodies of water, rather they use shore side pump stations that suck the effluent out of the holding tanks. At our club we have nicknamed the pump Monica.

Again, my little bit of sodium hydroxide is a drop in the bucket when mixed with 30,000 other homes in a municipal digester sewer system. "Bleach" gasses rapidly and breaks down into "salts and water" in the tank. Any active element of bleach reacts rapidly in the piping and it would take a whole lot of bleach to affect most digestive septic tanks.

you and I have different life styles and certainly different use of our MH. If I were to be in your situation, I would use enzymes too. But I'm not 24/7. At my age 74 IDGAS.
Sorry you feel berated. Consider all of the other folks reading this forum. Someone else might be inspired by my remarks.

I am pushing 69. We volunteer and travel cost to cost. We stay in one spot for a month or two and move on. Doing what you do is not right for any of my hosts to suffer. Part time or full time the same courtesies apply.

Please have a venturie type vent installed and use baking soda in your tank. No more smells and environmentally friendly.

I am not scolding you. I am truly trying to get you to consider the impact of what you are doing.

Happy trails.
Rick
Old 02-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

I only hug tree with my motorcycle.

[QUOTE=jerichorick;1911507]
Quote:

Sorry you feel berated. Consider all of the other folks reading this forum. Someone else might be inspired by my remarks. Doing what you do is not right for any of my hosts to suffer. Part time or full time the same courtesies apply.
Happy trails.
Rick
My Friend, I guess U did not read what I said. I don't stay at the same place U do and I park my MH in my drive for 2 months between trips going no where. I am not a tree hugger and see no damage being done by 2 quarts of bleach to clean out my black tank. Your message is falling on silent ears

May be you might believe CLOROX
Is Clorox® Regular-Bleach safe for septic systems?

Yes. When used as directed, Clorox® Regular-Bleach is safe to use in septic systems. The bleach breaks down rapidly to mostly salt and water.

- See more at: Bleach – Regular Formula | Clorox?

Like I stated. Sodium Hypoclorate is safe for use in septic systems. It resolves into salt water.
here's another quote of the webs
It depends on the product you're using. Some bleach, as the first answerer said, is an disinfectant and will kill bacteria in your septic tank as readily as on your counter top. There is another type of bleach, also readily available, that contains a different chemical, sodium hypochlorite, and its safe for use in septic systems because it turns to plain salt water after use. You don't have to remember the names of the chemicals, just look on the label for the words "safe for septic systems".

imho-Baking soda turn into cement in the tank and it is harmful to septic systems.

here is a quote from the web: time to start reading.

Baking soda raises pH in your septic tank. It provides no bacteria. In fact, raising the pH of your septic tank too much can actually harm the septic process. We encourage you and all our customers to call us for factual information before trying home remedies.

So now this is my MH - I do not stay at campgrounds (your host) - I dump in my own sewage system (my house)- and resent being told I am harming something somewhere somhow to a place where I will never go. Time to get the facts straight . everyone has an opinion and these are mine. Please stop trying to tell me I am wrong when I am not.

end of conversation.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

This is a good place to vent. I still don't agree with ladagobago but the last word has been spoken. You choose what you think is right folks. I'm out of this conversation.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

FYI to those interested:
"EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEPTIC TANKS,

BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK

An on-site septic system is a natural and ecologically sound way of disposing of potentially harmful sewage. if the septic system is properly designed,constructed, and maintained, millions of microorganisms will digest the sewage and return its chemical components to the earth to be used over and over again. We believe that regular addition of ARM & HAMMER® Baking soda will help provide the optimum environment for these microorganisms to do their job and - in so doing -hep keep your septic tank working better.

RECOMMENDED DOSAGE: ONCE A WEEK, POUR ONE CUP OF ARM & HAMMER® BAKING SODA DOWN ANY TOILET OR DRAIN."

And then there is this:
How to Use Baking Soda to Clean Septic Lines | eHow

For those interested, chlorine bleach naturally breaks down into salt and water as said above. What is salt? A killer of bacteria. Need I say more to those who are willing to listen and even learn?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

The service manager at Camping world said a great way to clean the black tank is after you've dumped it, fill with water half buy a bag of ice and dump in and then drive your MH. The sloshing and using the ice cubes breaks up any sediment. Since I have just purchased our first MH I was wondering if anyone had tried this method?
TandI Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandI Travel View Post
The service manager at Camping world said a great way to clean the black tank is after you've dumped it, fill with water half buy a bag of ice and dump in and then drive your MH. The sloshing and using the ice cubes breaks up any sediment. Since I have just purchased our first MH I was wondering if anyone had tried this method?
We've done it a few times over the years. It knocks the big chunks off the walls and bottom of the tank, but doesn't get the coatings off the walls very well. The most common cause of errant sensor readings is a layer of slime either on the sensor or the walls (if you have external sensors).

Keeping liquid in the tanks until they are at least 1/2 full allows the bacteria to work and break down the solids. There are some chemicals available from the RV supply stores that also speed along the process.

With our old motorhome we ran a bottle of tank cleaner through the system every couple of years or so. For it to work well you need warm water and a warm day.

Generally when we dump the tanks we flush enough water through them to be sure the water coming out is clear. You can buy a clear dump pipe extension or RV supply store.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #40
Winnebago Watcher

I have read that the GEO method has been successful cleaning the indicators. Do you always put some type of cleaner/enzyme product in after flushing? If not, you probably should. Also, we have a clear elbow in which I watch the black tank flow out. I usually have to rinse the black tank up to 4 times until it is clear. I have a black tank rinse connection in the wet bay.

On the toilet paper issue, you really do not need to buy a special type of toilet paper, just one that will dissolve in water. To test this, fill up a jar with water, place a couple pieces of TP in it and shake. If the TP does not dissolve, than buy another brand. We use a TP from Walmarts.

Happy Rv'ing.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank