Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2022, 12:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

black tank problem on 05 Itasca Sunrise 35D

On my sunrise 35D I Did the one thing you shouldn't ever do. I drained the black water and then closed the valve and turned on the tank flush line. I usually fill the tank about halfway like that then dump it again to try and get as much solid waste i can out of there. This time I got a phone call and forgot it was on. About a hour later I was watching TV and noticed the generator light on the dash was lit and the primer pump was stuck on. Went outside and then I saw it. Water pouring out of one of the storage compartments. Instantly remembered the flush line was on and i quickly shut it off. It took a long while but the water finally all drained out the storage compartment and one then generator wiring dried out it started working fine again. Problem now is that anytime I flush the toilet or turn on the flush line, it still drains into that storage compartment. If I opened the valve to dump it very little water comes out there, but most goes to that compartment. Any ideas or suggestions on what the problem could be? I have looked all over and can only see a small glimpse of the tank itself but I cant find where the pipe is attached to the tank, the vent, or really anything having to do with the black tank. Its all hiding very well somewhere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Blscls05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you looked at the plumbing diagrams or even the 3D Parts list for your model?
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

Plumbing diagram 2005 Sunrise 35D
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...f35d_plumb.pdf
Old 01-10-2022, 08:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Possibly some help in the plumbing and parts catalog at these two sites:
Plumbing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...f35d_plumb.pdf
Sheet 1 indicates there are two detail drawings that may help sort where you are looking at front and rear of wet bay.
Those detail drawings are on page 3 and show the parts I would guess are involved.

Suspect the flushing line has blow out at some point and now rather than the water level going high enough to drain out of the large drain fitting, the water is going out the broken/popped off flushing line?
So a look at that line might be a start?

Where that line is and how to find it is not spelled out where I can spot it, but there seems to be a small point shown on another drawing which comes from the parts catalog located here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...05/5iff35d.pdf

On the pre 2010 models we only get an older form that is just lists and exploded drawings in many cases rather than the interactive drawings we get with post 2010, but we make do!
On this one, parts are listed in groups and alphabetic order, your interest being water and sewer group, so I suggest going to the top of the index pages to get a dropdown showing page numbers, type in 252 and "enter" to quickly get down to the flushing line parts.

On that page 252 the flushing gizmo is shown and it has an air gap built in the line. What I might first guess is that when too much pressure built in the line, this line may have popped out of the fitting at some point. Since the water drains/leaks out when even a small amount of water is added, I might guess the break is low in the lineup?

Where to find it?
Does not show where I can spot it except for one small bit on page 253 next to item 10.

Would one be able to get down really low and look up under the vanity faucet to spot an openingor possible cover over an air gap?

This might be a start on locating the flush line but not too much on where exactly it needs repair.
Looking/ sorting where the water first shows may be needed to go further???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vac break copy.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	181685  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the reply. I will look for that flushing line. Makes sense that it would be the problem since some water will drain when I open the dump valve, just not very much. The diagrams to me dont make a lot of sense. I cant really find anything with those but now that i have an idea of what I want to look for it should hopefully be easier. Thanks again!
Blscls05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I got used to dealing with drawings from several different manufacturers and some were NEC from Japan where they definitely had different methods, so looking at the Winn drawings is just the same thing from a different angle.
Generally the Japanese drawings/info was easier to deal with because they were very aware that communications might be a problem so they made their books totally deep, maybe even too deep as the book might be bigger than the equipment!
But the hardest manuals were the Rockwell-Collins from Dallas as they just "assumed" everybody knew the stuff they left out of the manuals. Kind of like Winnebago on that!
Old 01-16-2022, 06:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blscls05 View Post
On my sunrise 35D I Did the one thing you shouldn't ever do. I drained the black water and then closed the valve and turned on the tank flush line. I usually fill the tank about halfway like that then dump it again to try and get as much solid waste i can out of there. This time I got a phone call and forgot it was on. About a hour later I was watching TV and noticed the generator light on the dash was lit and the primer pump was stuck on. Went outside and then I saw it. Water pouring out of one of the storage compartments. Instantly remembered the flush line was on and i quickly shut it off. It took a long while but the water finally all drained out the storage compartment and one then generator wiring dried out it started working fine again. Problem now is that anytime I flush the toilet or turn on the flush line, it still drains into that storage compartment. If I opened the valve to dump it very little water comes out there, but most goes to that compartment. Any ideas or suggestions on what the problem could be? I have looked all over and can only see a small glimpse of the tank itself but I cant find where the pipe is attached to the tank, the vent, or really anything having to do with the black tank. Its all hiding very well somewhere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
My first thought on this is that the rubber flex coupling between the tank and the valve gate is dislodged. You may have to remove the sheet metal plate to get access to it. If I recall correctly, I had a similar problem. Didn't overfill the tank. The the clamps had loosened and the coupling slipped off.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Go up on top of the rv and check the black tank vent. The tank may have swelled up and pushed the vent out of the tank.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
Go up on top of the rv and check the black tank vent. The tank may have swelled up and pushed the vent out of the tank.
This is not a vent issue. The vent is at the top of the tank. Use a mirror to inspect the exit plumbing if you can't see it from under the coach. The chances of the vent being ejected from the top of the tank are not likely.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
This is not a vent issue. The vent is at the top of the tank. Use a mirror to inspect the exit plumbing if you can't see it from under the coach. The chances of the vent being ejected from the top of the tank are not likely.
Agree with this as when they start to add water in the tank it begins to leak right away, not after it gets full to make a leak at the top sound right. just flushing the stool puts enough water in to leak, so that made me think it is a leak at a very low point.

But that is where the OP has to do some searching to see where it starts to come out. Hard to guess very close. Then there is always to potential to not have the full story and it may have been some smallpoint that froze due to not getting ALL the water out, so we may never know!
Old 01-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Was just a suggestion for some areas to look at. I had this happen when I left my tank flush on and got distracted. The tank swelled up and when I let all the water out, the vent got pushed out of the tank. Luckily I was able to access the vent and my son lined it back up while I pushed it back into the rubber grommet. It can happen.

Tags
tank, itasca, black tank