Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The sink in our bathroom drains to the black water tank. We are getting odor through the sink. I din't know how it it getting past the U-trap, but it is. Even when we dump and clean the tank we get an odor through the sink unless we keep the plug closed. I wondered if it was my u-trap casuing this?
Anyone run into this or have any suggestions?
Our kitchen sink is fine. It dreains into the grey water tank.
SeaRay
Old 01-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The sink in our bathroom drains to the black water tank. We are getting odor through the sink. I din't know how it it getting past the U-trap, but it is. Even when we dump and clean the tank we get an odor through the sink unless we keep the plug closed. I wondered if it was my u-trap casuing this?
Anyone run into this or have any suggestions?
Our kitchen sink is fine. It dreains into the grey water tank.
SeaRay
Old 01-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Make sure you have water in the "P" trap. If not it is useless in stopping the odors. Also make sure the vent is not blocked.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Searay,

Best I could do was the 2002 37G plumbing diagram. It appears that the bath sink may go into the black tank, but the drawing confuses me. I can't make out if its the vent that ties into the black tank, or the bath sink drain. I thought I read somewhere that the RVIA or some authority frowned upon OEM's plumbing the grey to dump into the black tank, but I'm probably wrong.

The likely source of the oder is the "one way vent cap", which you will find under the sink, at the highest point of the pipe stack. It is a screw on cap, generally 1 1/2 inches around, and 3" tall. It contains a small rubber flap that is designed to allow air to flow into the drain stack, but not out. Either it is plugged (rare) or just worn out. In my experience, they wear out by becoming too stiff, which makes the sink "suck out" the trap due to the suction created without a working vent. They can also just start to leak tank vapors back under the sink.

You can remove most of them by just gently applying a wrench and unscrewing it. The good news is that most LOWES stock a replacement for about $5. I suggest a little teflon tape be applied to the threads to make it easier to screw in.

Hope this helps.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Try the RV-360. http://www.rv-360.com/about.htm I've heard nothing but good things about this product. I'm on my way to Quartzsite next week and I'm picking-up mine there. Hopefully, this persistent rain will stop by then
Old 01-09-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago has always had the bathhroom sink drain into the black water tank. I think your vent may be blocked or possible broken in the cabinet area.

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My 94 Ad. drained the hand basin into the Black Tank, my 2004 33V WH does not.. Gotta look at a diagram to know...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

SeaRay,

I believe BucknJeff has nailed it.

You can see what he is talking about by downloading the Plumbing PDF provided by DriVer at the top of previous page (third line down). I put the link for the 04 38G because it's easiest to read (for me).

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...g38g_plumb.pdf

On page one you'll see the pipe that dead ends with a threaded vent cap that BnJeff is talking about. The black tank stink pipe and the grey tank stink pipe are joined with a "T" before it exits out the top of your coach. I think that is where the black tank odor is coming from (back feeding). If you want to prove where your sink water is going simply have someone pour water down the sink with your black tank valve closed and the grey valve open (or visversa) - next time your dumping.

Please let us know the results.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The sink likely drains to the grey water tank, not the black tank. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many Winnebago's have the bath sink going to the black tank. Probably did it to make certain some of the les knowledgeable rvers get enough water in their black tank. And it sort of evens out the filling of both tanks with normal useage.

Bought our first motorhome and went to FL. Had travel trailers back in the 70's and early 80's so knew most of the systems. I couldn't understand with just my wife and me why the black tank was filling so quickly. We were hooked to a sewage system. When I brush my teeth I just leave the water run, same with shaving. I finally dug out the plumbing diagrams WInnebago emailed me. I then saw the bath sink goes to the black tank.

If the odor stops coming from your sink with the drain plug in you are losing the water in your trap from the motion of your coach. If the odor continues with the plug in check the one way air vent located under you bath sink. THe vent may be stuck open and is now a two way air vent, which is not good.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The bathroom sink in our '04 Adventurer 33V clearly drains into the gray water tank. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...g33v_plumb.pdf
Old 01-10-2005, 03:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The problem usually is a bad vacuum breaker which is located under the sinks, both bathroom & kitchen. This breaker is supposed to stop the sink traps from being emptied when you dump. Look under your sink and there should be a pipe that is connected to the drain pipe, but goes up towards the counter top. This vacuum breaker is on top of that pipe. It will screw off and can be purchased at a plumbing supply company or building supply store.
It should cost about $5.00 each, and you should use teflon tape on the threads. Mine have gone bad and the odor is, well awful. Just another thing to check.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Winnebago has always had the bathhroom sink drain into the black water tank. I think your vent may be blocked or possible broken in the cabinet area. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some bath sink go to the black tank, not all.

Check the online plumbing diagram for your coach or have Customer Service email the diagram for your coach.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My '03 also drains to the grey tank.

Bill & Joan
Bill R. is offline   Reply With Quote