Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black Tank Flushing System Problem

Our 2004 Brave came with a Sant-T-Flush blank tank rinsing system. Some trime ago, the system stopped working. In short, the water would no longer go into the tank (like there was some sort of blockage). I assumed it was the check valve (located under the bathroom vanity) but when I took it apart, it worked fine. Thus, the problem appears to be after the check valve, possibly the flushing nozzle itself. In any case, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the system? I can't even figure out where the nozzle is installed. Thanks in advance.

Jack
Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have had a devil of a time with hard water deposits in my motorhome. I bought a water softener and use it religiously but still have some deposits. I wonder if you have plugged up nozzles. You might have some success by filling a hose with vinegar and connecting it to your flush system. Then turn on the water just long enough to push it in to the nozzle area. Let it set for 24 hours and then turn on the water to the flush and see if it is working any better. By the way, doing this in an RV park that has high water pressure will help too.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jack, you might try using a wet/dry shop vac. I would remove your check valve (which on my unit is actually a vacuum breaker), an attach the vac to the line going to the tank.

I wouldn't do this on a full tank though
Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

HI Ho: I always like to use compressed air for blowing things out. That way I can control the pressure and also tell if there if there is air flow by listening. Only catch is that you need access to an air compressor.

good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I do have an air compressor. However, the idea of connecting it to the black tank feels slightly like the first step in a bad comedy ("that's when the tank exploded"). I will try a slug of vinigar first to see if that helps. If not, I'll push some air through with a compressor. Any suggestions on the pressure? Maybe 90 PSI would do the trick. Then again, maybe less.

Good suggestions. Thank you.

Jack
Old 07-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
I do have an air compressor. However, the idea of connecting it to the black tank feels slightly like the first step in a bad comedy ("that's when the tank exploded"). I will try a slug of vinigar first to see if that helps. If not, I'll push some air through with a compressor. Any suggestions on the pressure? Maybe 90 PSI would do the trick. Then again, maybe less.

Good suggestions. Thank you.

Jack
The tank is vented out the roof.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I know about the vent but when it comes to the black tank, I suffer from an overactive imagination. Thanks again.

Jack
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho Jack: I would start out with very low air pressure (10 lbs.) just to see how badly the thing is obstructed. Normally water pressure would be greater, but I think that air would be easier to control and monitor. For example will the air pressure bleed off and at what rate if it really is blocked.

Beyond that, well what can you lose? Maybe high pressure will break whatever is clogging the line. Or maybe you will be surprised that it is something other than an obstrtction.

Anyway, good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The odd part is, I've never heard about anyone having a clogged nozzle before. I would have bet the farm that it was the check (one-way) valve but I was wrong. I've already tried high pressure water so I'm beginning to suspect something like a foreign body that might have gotten into the line. In any case, if and when it stops raining up here (mid-coast Maine), I'll try pouring some vinegar in and then using a hose. From there, I'll move onto the compressor. If that fails, I'll either come whining to you folks or I'll find some way to install a new flushing system. In any case, you know you're in too deep when you lay in bed at night fantasizing about an unclogged flushing system.

Jack