Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'm planning on ordering a Destination. I can't decide if I want a "No Number 2" policy for the coach. Cleaning, flushing the blank tank sounds very unpleasant. I've read about Tornados, Flojets, etc. What is the flush system that comes standard on the Winnebago? What else do you need to make the job fast and efficient? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm planning on ordering a Destination. I can't decide if I want a "No Number 2" policy for the coach. Cleaning, flushing the blank tank sounds very unpleasant. I've read about Tornados, Flojets, etc. What is the flush system that comes standard on the Winnebago? What else do you need to make the job fast and efficient? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It comes with a built in back flush system for the black tank. Drain the tank, and then back flush and drain again. I added a Clean Dump system that makes the task clean and simple. There are other brands of macerator systems, I like the Clean Dump because of the heavy duty discharge hose.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rdalcanto:
I'm planning on ordering a Destination. I can't decide if I want a "No Number 2" policy for the coach. Cleaning, flushing the blank tank sounds very unpleasant. I've read about Tornados, Flojets, etc. What is the flush system that comes standard on the Winnebago? What else do you need to make the job fast and efficient? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Black or grey, #1 or #2 the process is the same and rarely ends up like a Robin Williams movie.

It is all through the same hose connection anyways. You have to hook it up and unhook it no matter what. Winnebago has a built in tank rinser option so there is no need for wands etc if you go with it.

Get a decent drain hose such as the Rhino to hook it up to the sewer drain. Hitch a garden hose to the tank rinser, turn the water on and then pull the black tank drain handle. After the tank is basically drained close the black tank valve for about 30 seconds and then open it again and walk away for about 5 minutes. When you come back shut off the tank rinser close the blank tank drain an open the grey tank drain valve.

When you break up camp let the back tank rinse for 10 or 15 minutes instead of 5 and then drain the grey and all the hose should have in it is grey water. Take a good long shower before you break camp and you will be sure to have enough grey water to give the hose good rinse.

Sometimes grey water is much worse than the black from washing cooking utensils etc but I am not going to ban cooking or washing the cooking pots.

Keep a box of disposable nitrile gloves nearby and you should be all set.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Really, dumping is not a big issue in any sense. I didn't buy a MH and then go to public showers and toilets...JMHO. Just make sure you have a lot of water in the black tank and flush it good.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
I added a Clean Dump system that makes the task clean and simple. There are other brands of macerator systems, I like the Clean Dump because of the heavy duty discharge hose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you leave the clean dump hooked up to MH all the time, or screw it off each time? It seems like the "input" side would be dirty if you had to remove it....
Old 09-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The other point to remember is ALWAYS keep you black tank valve closed when you are in camp and ONLY open it when you flush the system. With gray water, you can leave that valve open while in camp and let the gray tank keep draining into the sewer hookup. I close the grey valve the night before I dump black so I have enough grey water to wash out the hose.

Dumping is no big deal. I also have a bottle of hand sanitizer in the drain compartment in addition to the disposable gloves.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You can see my installation HERE

It is a permanent installation.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

As others have said, it's not a big deal at all; you just need to pay attention to what you're doing. After 23 years of dumping with a 3" hose (and NEVER had anything close to a spill) I now have a Macerator system on the coach that allows me to dump at home with even less fuss.
Not that I miss the dump, but we've had some interesting conversations waiting in line..

Anyway, you just spent a major pile of money on your coach. Don't inconvenience and limit yourself and where you go worrying about something that hundreds of thousands of campers do as a matter of course.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I feel the grey tank can build up solids just like the black tank can, but of a different variety. The greases and oils we cook with, the rinsing of whatever food particles are left on the plate (when not using paper) can create just as offensive an odor, and cause the pyramids just like the black tank.

On my 2008 Destination I have two grey tanks. I put one cap full of Calgon water softener into each tank, including the black tank, after each flushing/rinsing and add about 5 gallons of water. The Calgon will slick up the sides of the tanks and makes the drain go a lot smoother.

I typically flush, backwash for several minutes, close the valve while back washing for 1 minute and repeat the process about 3 times or until I see clear water running. I use a clear elbow for visual inspection. The key to a good flush is lots of water. Water breaks up the matter in the black tank. Absolutely nothing but approved septic tank toilet paper. No Kleenex, or OTHER products should go into the tank. You can do a water check on your TP. Put one sheet in a glass of water. In a very short time you should see it start to dissolve. There are some "septic safe" papers that really are not septic safe and can clog the system.

It's a crappy job, but someone has to do it!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne M:
There are some "septic safe" papers that really are not septic safe and can clog the system.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of which - has anone else had a problem with the "new" "deluxe" Thetford paper that Wal-Mart is selling? Since we bought some of it, we're having black tank problems for the first time in 10 years.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne M:
There are some "septic safe" papers that really are not septic safe and can clog the system.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of which - has anone else had a problem with the "new" "deluxe" Thetford paper that Wal-Mart is selling? Since we bought some of it, we're having black tank problems for the first time in 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>To answer the question indirectly.. We have always used garden variety single-ply paper and not had any problems in over 20 years (knocks head on wood). I'm hoping the macerator won't complain either..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rdalcanto:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
I added a Clean Dump system that makes the task clean and simple. There are other brands of macerator systems, I like the Clean Dump because of the heavy duty discharge hose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you leave the clean dump hooked up to MH all the time, or screw it off each time? It seems like the "input" side would be dirty if you had to remove it.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The water from the grey flush should keep everything relatively clean. Just don't leave the gey tank open all the time as some have the habit. You want enough flow out of the grey tank to move out any debris and rinse the hose of any black tank residue.

Just use a good quality hose and get some disposable nitrile gloves.

If you want I believe you can get you coach out fitted with quick connect from Winnebago which may resolve some of your tank dumping concerns.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...ickconnect.php

I have never had a problem with the cleanliness of my connection in my own sewer bay, at least you know where that came from however the last person who used the sewer port at the site or the dump station can sometimes have not been a good steward to towards those that have to connect after them. Keeping a jug of bleach on hand helps with "those people". My daughter suggests I get a toilet wand that uses the disposible pads to cleanup before we dump where one of "those people" has been and then just release/flush the pad down the sewer dump. That way my hose end will stay clean.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Been RVing since 1984 and had many different RVs and never a problem with dumping or tank blockage. Most of the RVs do not have a flushing system other than to run a few eztra bolws of water through.

The biggest trick is to fill the black tank to over 1/2 full, preferably closer to 2/3 as a minimum befroe you dump. All that goes into the tank is your waste and T.P. Also use plenty of water to flush...DO NOT SKIMP on the liquids.

Keep the blank tank closed and the gray open when parked for extended periods. The day before you dump the black, close the gray to build up some water to flush the line after dumping the black. As soon as you dump the black, and flush if you need to, put in some chemicals and add about 2 or 3 gallons of water.

For chemicals, we usually use a brand called Odorless.

Ken
Old 09-08-2008, 03:17 AM   #15
GG1
Winnie-Wise

rdalcanto:
I don't mean to sound unsympathethic to your concerns about dumping the black water but its part of the rv experience it may not be fun but its something you have to do if you want to own a motorhome. Read about the proper procedures on this forum and learn to do it YOURSELF or go to a motel and save 200k. Actually maintaining the black tank is one of easiest and cheapest things you can do on an rv.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Porscheracer, I have been RVing since the 70s and have only used RV paper when I (we before my husband passed away) bought a new unit and we got a free pack. In over 30 yrs have never had a problem. Have been fultime since 2001. For many years we used Scot but now I have used a few different brands.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
Speaking of which - has anone else had a problem with the "new" "deluxe" Thetford paper that Wal-Mart is selling? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I can report we have also had problems with this paper. I've gone back the the old single ply Thetford paper. Less pyramiding issues with a family of 3.

And regarding the black tank maintenance, I use the built-in flush system once a week. Sometimes twice a week is required in the TX hot summer days over 100+F!!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

The pyramiding problem goes away if one makes sure to add water to the toilet prior to flushing. I was told long ago to add the water to the toilet "till it floats" long ago and have never had a problem. All it takes is lifting the pedal abit prior to flushing.