Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Black Tank Flush Clogged 27N

My Black tank washer does not flow. Compressed air doesn't clear the line.

I have narrowed down the problem to the in-tank part of the flush system - the spray head - being clogged.

Does anyone know where this is located, and how to access it for repair?

I have looked everywhere, and followed hoses, but no luck.

THANKS
Old 03-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Fairly common fix on Tiffin's, don't know how your coach is laid out though. Mine wasn't ever completely clogged, just pretty anemic.

On Tiffin, unbolt the panel on PS where the water tanks are. Locate the black tank flusher which is mounted in the top of the black tank, and 3 screws unbolt it. Drill out the water holes with 3/32" bit (In my case I added a couple more). Put some silicon on the flange and put back together. Works substantially better, I can actually hear the water shooting across the tank and splashing against the DS now.

The flusher shoots water from the PS toward the DS outlet. It's just a little piece of PVC pipe which extends down into the tank a couple inches.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

danhannah here are a couple of pictures hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27N flush spray head.jpg
Views:	4214
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	156555   Click image for larger version

Name:	27N flush back flow prventer.jpg
Views:	2423
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	156556  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Great Photos

THANKS SO MUCH Grant. Those drawings are exactly what I needed. Do you get them online? If so, I am jealous, because us MAC users can not get the software that runs the parts catalog!

If I see the location correctly, it seems to be <inboard> on the side of the tank. Or is it on the front side edge of the tank?

When this 60 mph wind and sand storm in Las Vegas ends, I will crawl under there, but I am thinking it is above the floorboards and completely un-accessible.

Have you found it??

Dan
Old 03-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks

Thank You Kiawah,

If I can find the sucker I will drill it out!

What is the PS and the DS? I can't quite get the abbreviations...

Still looking....
Old 03-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

danhannah you may be able to get to it through the storage compartment behind the rear wheels on the passenger side. Here is the link to the 2D plumbing drawings for your coach.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Mystery solved

There is a thin flat black steel plate inside the inside dually on the passenger side. Put your chin on top of the tire and you will see it to the left!

The cover plate is about 8 inches by 5 inches. It is covered in mud and very hard to see. It is riveted on 4 corners, so will have to be drilled out to find the flusher.

Bago sez that inside that cover is an elbow, and inside the tank is a piece of PVC with holes drilled in it.

THANKS TO ALL who helped find this sucker.

PS I poured a packet of powdered toilet enzyme dissolver, followed by hot water, down the tube from the bathroom sink area, and left it for 24 hours, without effect. So maybe it is City Water rust, rocks, and non-organic stuff that clogged the sprayer.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

danhannah if you have a wet/dry shop vac put it on the pipe leading to the spray nozzle maybe it will pull out the stuff clogging the sprayer.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

check valve

Don't know if this applies but on my Itasca the problem was the check valve, it had been installed backwards and had gone unnoticed for years. I always hooked up to flush and never really checked to see in anything was coming out.

In the diagram above it is the part with the circle around it and was found inside the bathroom wall about waist high.

A dealer was set to replace the sprayer when one of his mechanics commented that he had seen this before.

Might be worth looking into.

Roy
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Roy.

I agree most of the time it is a bad check valve, or as in your case a valve installed backwards. (The dash heater hoses on my new Itasca were installed backwards on the engine side - we spent over a year trying to diagnose why the AC was so bad, who would suspect this??)

In my case the washer jet inside the tank is blocked with some kind of debris - I still haven't been able to unclog it with any tricks I have tried. I may have to take it out of the tank and clean it and drill it out when snowbird season ends....
Old 04-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Our 2013 Adventurer 32H doesn't have a check valve for the black tank flush like our 2001 did. I had just assumed they eliminated it. Now that I think of it I could have a real mess if the tank got full enough to submerge the flushing tube.

If anyone else has a similar model I would appreciate knowing if your black tank flush has a check valve.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs, The black tank flush system is the same system Winnebago as used since 2000. There is as Swan B V101 Vacuum Breaker mounted above toilet flood level to prevent siphoning liquid from the holding tank. There is also a check valve between the vacuum breaker and the tank as a double safety. Attached is a drawing of your coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank flush back flow preventer.jpg
Views:	3095
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	157243  
Old 04-05-2017, 06:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

In our 2001 Adventurer there was a check valve where the fresh water hose attaches to the fresh water inlet. The valve wouldn't allow water from the tank to flow back into the supply hose.

There was an identical check valve on the black tank flushing system. My assumption was it was there to prevent sewage from backing into the fresh water supply should the tank be over filled. When winterizing the coach I had to depress both check valves to allow any water in the tubing to drain out.

On our 2013 Adventurer we have the same setup on the fresh water supply. However there is nothing to prevent the sewage from backing through the flushing port (should the tank be overfilled) into the supply hose, or spilling into the cabinet when no hose is attached. Whenever I detach the hose after flushing water any left in the flushing system will drain out the inlet port.

Until now I assumed Winnebago no longer installed a check valve at the flush port simply to allow the tube to drain without having to depress the check valve. Now I'm thinking that one might be needed to prevent sewage from spilling into the cabinet or contaminating the hose.

Page 3 of plumbing diagram 180119 shows the back side of the water panel in the compartment. I can't tell if there is supposed to be a check valve at both the fresh water inlet and the black water flush ports.

So my question is: Was the black tank flush check valve installed by mistake in our 2001 Adventurer, is it missing from our 2013 Adventurer, or is the difference a production change between the years.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs, here is a drawing of what you have now. Winnebago must have installed a city water fill inlet on the flush system by mistake on you other coach. There is not a check valve in the correct flush inlet, this way the water can drain back from the vacuum break to prevent freezing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank flush vacuum breaker.jpg
Views:	5848
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	157294  
Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Hikerdogs, here is a drawing of what you have now. Winnebago must have installed a city water fill inlet on the flush system by mistake on you other coach. There is not a check valve in the correct flush inlet, this way the water can drain back from the vacuum break to prevent freezing.
Thanks for the reply. Although I can't find a diagram that shows the complete circuit I'm assuming the plumbing to the flush system works as follows:

Water flows from the flush port up through the check valve and vacuum breaker. Then down to the in tank flushing system.

When water pressure is applied the check valve opens and water continues to the tank.

When there is no pressure the check valve by the vacuum breaker closes.

The water between the breaker and the tank flushing system flows into the black tank.

The water between the inlet port and the check valve flows back out through the inlet.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #16
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I had the same problem (backward installed check valve on the black tank flush) on my 2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP. The "polarity challenged" individual is probably still working on the assembly line. Odds are he (she) gets about of the installs done correctly.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, flush, tank