Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Black tank

Every time I open the black (after it has been cleaned and stored for a bit) to attach the hose, a small amount of liquid comes out. Is this normal? It does not have an odor...just appears to be water.
Bunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
2022 Travato 59KL

Happens to me for years. It has become normal for me - about a tablespoon of liquid. I wear nitrile gloves when I am dumping.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mine does that too, only its about a coffee cup amount and I don't think its just plain water. One of the first things I plan to do once the rig is out of winter storage is to replace the seals in the dump valves.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:01 AM   #4

This is happening to our rig too! It's only about a tablespoon too (like kmessinger).

It's more of a weeping than a leak.
ddaudelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the same issue with my black tank...I dis assembled the dump valves and found solid waste was fouling the rubber seals on the knife valves...I cleaned it all up and put everything back together and no more leak! I am really careful to back flush the grey water into the black tank when i dump now.
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran & RV Owner

I have seen this in a travel trailer and two class A motorhomes I have owned. Not a big deal at all. Normal to see a little liquid flow out after draining and cleaning the tank.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Our 27Q doesn't have the "normal" discharge arrangement. While the black tank drains through the dump valve and then to the drain hose connection, the grey tank is drained by a pump into a small diameter hose that enters a Y fitting between the dump valve and drain hose connection. I try to use extra water after the black tank dump but it appears I may need to do better. Unfortunately the backflow type flush fitting doesn't really work because there is a 90 degree turn before it reaches the dump valve. Oh well, as some say, improvise, adapt, and overcome!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Lightbulb

Many different reason you get that bit of water, one is condensation in the drain lines to the tank, and in the tanks themselves. I leave my valves open over the winter months, they make a cap that has slits in it to allow the moisture out. At the beginning of camping season I always put a little vasoline on the seals in the valves (and then work them open and closed) makes them so eas to move. Always wear rubber gloves when messing with your tanks, keep you from getting sick, I also keep a spray bottle with a 25% clorox to 75% water spray down the sewer bay (misty) and also spray of any fresh water hook up as the guy before you could have hooked up and flushed his tanks before leaving. I once watched a guy getting ready to leave, he fill his fresh water tank (with a white hose) then he put that hose away and pulled out an old garden hose and hooked it up to the fresh water hook to his black tank flush and drained and flushed tank. That's why you want to spray off those fresh water hook ups before connecting to them.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I just leave the cap off. Always dry when I look. Agree, don’t think there is ever much, maybe even residual from dumping. I’ve never had a problem with odor as the outlet is always dry

Happy motoring.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

This will help. It also allows to kinda wash your black with grey.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ctrl-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robval1987 View Post
Many different reason you get that bit of water, one is condensation in the drain lines to the tank, and in the tanks themselves. I leave my valves open over the winter months, they make a cap that has slits in it to allow the moisture out. At the beginning of camping season I always put a little vasoline on the seals in the valves (and then work them open and closed) makes them so eas to move. Always wear rubber gloves when messing with your tanks, keep you from getting sick, I also keep a spray bottle with a 25% clorox to 75% water spray down the sewer bay (misty) and also spray of any fresh water hook up as the guy before you could have hooked up and flushed his tanks before leaving. I once watched a guy getting ready to leave, he fill his fresh water tank (with a white hose) then he put that hose away and pulled out an old garden hose and hooked it up to the fresh water hook to his black tank flush and drained and flushed tank. That's why you want to spray off those fresh water hook ups before connecting to them.
I witnessed one to top that. We were in a CG just South of Salt Lake City, A woman walking her dog stopped at a site and allowed her dog to defecate near the fresh water faucet, when the dog finished she held it's rear up to the faucet and washed its rear with her hand then shut off the faucet and resumed the walk, crap still in the middle of the site.

I've carried a spray bottle of bleach solution in the wet bay ever since, and hand sanitizer for me. I always let water run for a few minutes before attaching my hose too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkel View Post
Every time I open the black (after it has been cleaned and stored for a bit) to attach the hose, a small amount of liquid comes out. Is this normal? It does not have an odor...just appears to be water.
Likely condensation, or moisture retained in the tank after emptying. All those solids hold moisture, and not all the solids are removed when you gravity flush. Even using a Tornado Flush or Flush King, you will find some solids and particles coming out after several flushes.

I am a bit anal when it come to clean tanks. After using a Flush King for a few years, I recently added the Tornado Flush and now always allow it to run during the entire discharge of the black tank, then close the valve and fill at least 1/3 and empty again. Do this a few times and you'd be surprised how much stuff is remaining in the tank, especially paper waste that has attached to the sidewalls like paper mache.

I have also recently found that adding 3 gallons of distilled vinegar to the gray and black tanks every month (we've been full timing the past 6 months) improves the accuracy of the exterior sensors. (My gray tank used to read 1/3 or 2/3 even when empty before the vinegar trick.)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

After you empty the tank the pipe between the tank and the outlet and still wet. Eventually that water is going to work it's way down to the outlet cap, and will come out when you take off the cap.

Tags
black tank, tank