Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black and Grey Water Dump Valves

Both of these blade valves have become very hard to slide open when I am dumping and I don't want to risk breaking them. Is there any way to lubricate them or should I play i safe and replace them?

If I go ahead and replace them, does anyone have any tips? I can see this could be a nasty job.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Pull them open and spray the chrome shaft with Silicone, NOT WD-40, and cycle the valve open and closed. WD is a drying agent, water displacing is what the WD stands for. WD will dry the O-rings and make them sticky, or leaking. If all else fails, it's easy to swap them out, and not as icky as one might think if you dump them right.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some years ago I had an identical problem. I tried dump valve lubricant that you dump unto the holding tanks that is suppose to fix the problem. It helped but was short lived. I read a post on this forum about an owner installing grease fittings on the narrow side of the valve in about the middle. I installed them on mine. I grease them once a year in the spring when I de-winterize the coach and they operate easily all year long. My present coach is the 2nd one I have installed grease fittings on the 2 valves and the grease has no negative impact on the blades and I am very happy with the results.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Some years ago I had an identical problem. I tried dump valve lubricant that you dump unto the holding tanks that is suppose to fix the problem. It helped but was short lived. I read a post on this forum about an owner installing grease fittings on the narrow side of the valve in about the middle. I installed them on mine. I grease them once a year in the spring when I de-winterize the coach and they operate easily all year long. My present coach is the 2nd one I have installed grease fittings on the 2 valves and the grease has no negative impact on the blades and I am very happy with the results.

Don
When you get time, post a picture of your grease fittings.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ditto on both responses, they are both probably band-aid solutions they will probably be short lived. At least that was my experience.
There is a valve that connects like a sewer hose on the end if the line and the hose connects to it. This allows you to open and close to drain the entire system, if you are to the point of real sticky valves, I'd recommend the this valve, unless you are going to repair soon. In my case the valve eventually got so sticky, the cable pulled out. I got by with the valve for a while until I replaced the actual valves.
Get a clear inline piece of pipe for sewer hose connection to verify you have a good clean out of the tank. Don't forget some rubber gloves a catch pan or old towels to catch the drips and a few tools and your all set. If your set up is similar to mine, there is a rubber sewer bushing that slides back to let you pull the valve out. Clean the bushings and pipe well so you get a good refit.
I tried to get a few rv repair places to do it and was told they don't mess with them due to infections, etc. I was a bit worried diving in but it was probably one of the easier repairs I've done.
A few folks recommended using the power blade valves but I'm not that confident in automation when it comes to dumping my tanks!
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use WD-40 Water Resistant Silicone Spray on mine. Works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wd 40.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	126722  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
When you get time, post a picture of your grease fittings.
This picture was taken with my phone. Click on picture to enlarge it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160511_102913929.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	126750  
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 05-15-2016, 02:54 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Remove the above access panel and take a good look at them. I see there are zirc fittings on them from picture. When all else fails, it's time to get dirty. Don't fret the POOP, I've dealt with worse and believe it or not it's not as bad as a Potable water tank. At least the ones on Submarines, you won't believe what grows in those things and the smell, give me a San tank any day.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

The installation was not a bit messy. When the valves are closed nothing is running from either tank. When I drilled the pilot hole for the tap the only thing in the hole was the rod from the handle to the spade. After installing the zerks I over greased them the first time. This allowed grease to reach the rod and the spades. It works really good.

Don

Tags
water