Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Those owners of the Sur Flo super max 5.7 please note:
Some of you know that we just purchased a new 06 Meridian a couple of weeks ago. Get to Fl. and dewinterize only to find that my 5.7 pump would not even come on. After hooking up to city water so I could at least have water. I realized that the not only would the pump not work but leaked so badly that it flooded my basement compartment. Called Shur Flo and they sent me another overnight (I paid for the shipping). In my conversation with the very nice lady, she indicated there have been numerous returns on this model and there is discussion of issuing a recall. I then polled 5 owners in the campground where I am located only to find out 4 of the 5 owners have all replaced there pumps. Just wanted to bring this to everyones attention.
Note: for some reason my orginal post was not posted as it was written? Half of the post did not make it to the thread? Not sure what happened but this is the corrected message and I hope I did not cause any misunderstandings. IMHO the pumps are what they are....problems.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Those owners of the Sur Flo super max 5.7 please note:
Some of you know that we just purchased a new 06 Meridian a couple of weeks ago. Get to Fl. and dewinterize only to find that my 5.7 pump would not even come on. After hooking up to city water so I could at least have water. I realized that the not only would the pump not work but leaked so badly that it flooded my basement compartment. Called Shur Flo and they sent me another overnight (I paid for the shipping). In my conversation with the very nice lady, she indicated there have been numerous returns on this model and there is discussion of issuing a recall. I then polled 5 owners in the campground where I am located only to find out 4 of the 5 owners have all replaced there pumps. Just wanted to bring this to everyones attention.
Note: for some reason my orginal post was not posted as it was written? Half of the post did not make it to the thread? Not sure what happened but this is the corrected message and I hope I did not cause any misunderstandings. IMHO the pumps are what they are....problems.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes I agree ...I had to replace mine th first month...it kept running fast slow fast slow and so on...
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Possibly the same problem I had with the 5.7.

I picked up the coach in Buffalo and went to FL. Discovered the pump housing froze and cracked because the dealer put water in the coach ot test it and didn't get the water out of the pump. I spent 5 nights at Bill Waits in Suvannah waiting for an overnighted pump.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

THANK YOU!

I was looking at this after our last trip and the 5.7 was the one I was considering. I think I'll hold off for a while.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had to replace the 5.7 in my 2004 last month but it was under the 3 yr warranty. It would not stop running after the faucet was turned off. First it would if the pump switch was turned off and then back on, but within a couple weeks it wouldn't even do that. I didn't ask if the new one is also covered for 3 yrs. or just to the end of the original 3 years. They are great when they work.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

If that pump is not satisfactory which one is the suggested replacement????
Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

When I replace mine, I'll strongly consider this one:
Aquajet ES

I've heard it's better than the Shurflows and Flojets, and doesn't require wiring mods.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
THANK YOU!

I was looking at this after our last trip and the 5.7 was the one I was considering. I think I'll hold off for a while. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Shurflo 5.7 is the best pump, IMHO. I would not buy any other. Don't let a few reported problems discourage you from buying the 5.7.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I agree with TOM N. I installed a 5.7 2 years ago and it's been great. The company is good to work with too. My EOM pump was installed with 90 elbows coming out of the pump. That reduces flow and causes noise. When I called Shurflo to ask where to obtain the straight barbed connecters, they said "We'll send them to you - no charge"!

There will be failures with any product, but I have found this to be a strong, quiet pump that has given us no problems.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Yes i did have a bad pump...but they are right about shurflow ....good customer service..
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I had three bad 5.7s in about aa year. The last one was manufactured at a later date, (early 06') & is fine. Bought at CW about 5 miles from home & the replacement takes about 5 minutes for me to do. Glad they are guaranteed for 3 years. The last time I went to CW they told me I could get any pump they had if I wanted to. But when they worked they worked well, so I stayed with them. I kinda think some of their first ones had problems & they corrected.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

The 5.7 has been a very troublesome pump. When it works, it works extremely well. The key phrase here is "when it works."

Our original pump lasted about a year with occasional use. Replacement pump (which I changed out) lasted about 10 seconds (literally.) Next pump surged badly and was replaced with another (while we were in Forest City.) It also surged, but not as badly, but still troublesome. Winnie added an accumulator tank which improved the consistency of the flow. This is interesting because the pump is designed for no accumulator tank.

Winnebago had so much trouble with the 5.7, they stopped using them sometime last summer/fall - I don't know if they went back to using it because Shurflo was supposedly improving the pump.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

A large number of the problems with the 5.7 was that they cannot be winterized the same as the old 2.8 standard pumps, when using air to blow out the system. The 5.7 will not pump itself dry when doing a winterize, and requires a little bit of anti freeze in its housing to keep it from freezing up. We likely replaced a dozen of them due to this fact, as Winnebago was unaware of this fact as well. But since using a small amount of antifreeze in the pump only, no problems.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote