Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Bad tank readings

Good morning all. We have a 14' Adventurer 37F and for the first time I am getting bad tank level readings. Are the sensors exterior on this rig? What are some options to correct?
Thanks
bdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

What tank is messing with you? If its the black tank you probably have TP stuck on it. If so fill it up with water and a couple chem packs take it for a ride and then dump it and try it again to see if you got it lose.
ztoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When we had this problem with the black tank we put a bag of ice and a cup full of BiZ laundry detergent just before we hit the road. The ice sloshes around as it melts and gets everything clean.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just solved this problem on our grey tank with the exact same coach as yours. There is a cover over the left side of the grey tank forward of the grey tank drain. Take the cover off and you will see the sensors. Disconnect the big drain pipe and find a small wooden brush and a long steel 1/4 inch rod. Drill a 1/4 inch hole on the wood of the brush and shove the rod into it,,, it should be very tight. Bend a 90 degree angle about 17 inches, or however far your sensors are from the drain pipe, and snake the brush into the tank and scrub inside the tank where the sensors are. Worked like a charm for me. If it is the black tank,,, try the ice thing.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post
I just solved this problem on our grey tank with the exact same coach as yours. There is a cover over the left side of the grey tank forward of the grey tank drain. Take the cover off and you will see the sensors. Disconnect the big drain pipe and find a small wooden brush and a long steel 1/4 inch rod. Drill a 1/4 inch hole on the wood of the brush and shove the rod into it,,, it should be very tight. Bend a 90 degree angle about 17 inches, or however far your sensors are from the drain pipe, and snake the brush into the tank and scrub inside the tank where the sensors are. Worked like a charm for me. If it is the black tank,,, try the ice thing.
Pete, this is from the outside of the rig through one of the cargo access doors? It does not look like I can access the top of the tank to remove the drain pipe. So the sensors are on the inside of the tank? I was led to believe that were on the outside. Strange that there would be an internal problem with the grey, black I understand but the grey?

Ray
Old 04-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Tom View Post
When we had this problem with the black tank we put a bag of ice and a cup full of BiZ laundry detergent just before we hit the road. The ice sloshes around as it melts and gets everything clean.
Tom, did you half fill with water as well or just the ice and detergent?

Ray
Old 04-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Winnebago went standard with external sensors in 2005. Crud can build up on the tank walls and fool the sensors though - gray and black. In ten years of full timing I never found anything that got the walls clean enough for the sensors to work properly.
Anything that does a good job of cleaning the tank walls might help.
I did use a pressure washer to clean the walls of the black tank and it worked for a couple of months and then started showing full when empty again.

You can down load an owners manual for your rig HERE. Go to page 4.6 to see the info on the sensors being outside of the tank.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I wish the tanks were opaque. I can see both my grey and black tank when I open certain doors. It would be great to really know the level.
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdozer View Post
Pete, this is from the outside of the rig through one of the cargo access doors? It does not look like I can access the top of the tank to remove the drain pipe. So the sensors are on the inside of the tank? I was led to believe that were on the outside. Strange that there would be an internal problem with the grey, black I understand but the grey?

Ray
Go through the 3rd access door on the left side of the rig. The drain pipe for the grey tank is to the top right of that compartment. The black panel on that wall is easily removed and then you will see the external sensors.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Put about 5 - 10 gallons of water and or 5 - 10 lbs of ice and a 1/4 cup of dish washing detergent. Then take the MH out for drive or just head to your next campground and when you get there dump the tank. Make sure you shack it up real good.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

My tank routine

I am fortunate to have a sewer line cleanout cap in my driveway so i can give my black tank a through clean out after every trip. While DW starts to unload food, clothes etc. I do the tanks.

With the jacks i tilt the coach a bit to the drivers side to get a good drain to the valve. After dumping the tank i take tank cleanning wand like this and put it down the toilet, move it up and down to get everything clean. This wand has a spinning action at the end that works well. I do have the hose connection in the wet bay for this but have found it ineffective.

After awhile i close the valve to let the tank fill up then dump. I do this a couple of times until i see clean water coming out of the clear extension on my waste hose.

I then close the valve and fill the balck tank back up and let it sit full till our next trip. No drying out of whatever could be left.

Then loading up for the present trip dump empty for travel.

All my sensors work as they should
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
I am fortunate to have a sewer line cleanout cap in my driveway so i can give my black tank a through clean out after every trip. While DW starts to unload food, clothes etc. I do the tanks.

With the jacks i tilt the coach a bit to the drivers side to get a good drain to the valve. After dumping the tank i take tank cleanning wand like this and put it down the toilet, move it up and down to get everything clean. This wand has a spinning action at the end that works well. I do have the hose connection in the wet bay for this but have found it ineffective.

After awhile i close the valve to let the tank fill up then dump. I do this a couple of times until i see clean water coming out of the clear extension on my waste hose.

I then close the valve and fill the balck tank back up and let it sit full till our next trip. No drying out of whatever could be left.

Then loading up for the present trip dump empty for travel.

All my sensors work as they should
Awesome method, nice having, that clean out available.

Tags
tank