Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

As I previously posted, I have replaced 4 ShurFlo 5.7 water pumps in the past 2 years (froze after being blown out). I called ShurFlo today and asked if there was an acceptable method of winterizing the pumps (not with anti-freeze) to insure they would not freeze. I specifically asked if I disconnected the input side of the pump and was told it would still freeze.

After considerable discussion, the lady at ShurFlo essentially told me that you either put anti-freeze in the pump or take it out and store it at home.

Anyone aware of a better pump that can be blown out or otherwise be winterized? Don't try to convince me to use anti-freeeze. For medical reasons, we will not put RV anti-freeze in our system.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

As I previously posted, I have replaced 4 ShurFlo 5.7 water pumps in the past 2 years (froze after being blown out). I called ShurFlo today and asked if there was an acceptable method of winterizing the pumps (not with anti-freeze) to insure they would not freeze. I specifically asked if I disconnected the input side of the pump and was told it would still freeze.

After considerable discussion, the lady at ShurFlo essentially told me that you either put anti-freeze in the pump or take it out and store it at home.

Anyone aware of a better pump that can be blown out or otherwise be winterized? Don't try to convince me to use anti-freeeze. For medical reasons, we will not put RV anti-freeze in our system.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23: For medical reasons, we will not put RV anti-freeze in our system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't blame you LK23. You should check out your prescriptions, some of them might contain propylene glycol. Not sure why they put anti freeze in prescription drugs ???

Wikipedia

You can get the older style pumps at your rv dealer or one of our sponsors. If you can't find the old style pump at the rv places, try Tractor Supply, they still use that pump on weed sprayers.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I think part of your problem with blowing out the lines as one of the two options, is that if you apply the air pressure to the exterior water inlet, it will not blow any water out of the lines that run from the fresh water tank to the pump and beyond. Trust me, been there, observed and wondered why there was still water in those lines and then the big flash happened. The easiest thing for you to do would be to unscrew the pipe from the fresh water tank at the pump inlet side, run the pump for 2-3 seconds with all other taps open, the pump wil then be free of water.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:

Anyone aware of a better pump that can be blown out or otherwise be winterized? Don't try to convince me to use anti-freeeze. For medical reasons, we will not put RV anti-freeze in our system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking at the repair parts diagram I would say that just about any multi diaphram pump made over the past decade could be a problem for you and not just the SureFlow 5.7.

Since the pump is completely rebuildable I don't understand replacing them instead of replacing the part that cracked when they froze.

See:

http://www.shurflo.com/pages/RV/pdf/...pairKitWeb.pdf

Removing the pump or just the pump head is probably not that bad an idea if you can't use RV antifreeze for medical reasons. The manual indicates that they provided quick disconnects for the water lines to make this even easier.

http://www.shurflo.com/pdf/rv/911_tr...-D_English.pdf

"" SHURflo quick-connect fittings provide easy installation
and removal if required. The fittings are designed with
dual o-rings, creating a seal when snapped into place.
Lubricate o-rings with silicone-based grease.
" NOTE: Remove clips completely from pump during
maintenance and storage to avoid distortion.
ISO Certified Facility
SHURflo reserves the right to update specifications, prices, or make substitutions
To Insert Fittings:
Clips have the word FITTING' on them
1. Hold fitting with _" wrench and tighten
plumbing to fitting.
2. Make sure o-rings are lubricated
3. Insert fitting into quick-connect port.
4. Snap lock clip over fitting and lock tab
with fitting' facing out toward fitting.
To Remove Fittings:
1. Pry up edge of lock clip over lock tab one
at a time.
2. Remove clip and slide fitting out of port.
Fully install clips or remove
completely during maintenance and
storage."

Mind you that salted water or a few drops of alchohol in water and other home made types of antifreeze alternatives and may be a consideration.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
For medical reasons, we will not put RV anti-freeze in our system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for being curious, but is this an interaction with specific medications? Or is it a general precaution that more of us should be aware of?

gm
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Propylene glycol in RV anti- freeze,is a food additive and is in a lot of food products.
Johnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Rex - probably the only way to 100% prevent freezing with your constraints is to remove the pump. If you wind up with this solution, maybe you can relocate the pump to make it easier to remove/install.

Better yet: remove the pump every year, throw it away and replace with new

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the replies. I called ShurFlo again and spoke with another person (The first lady was rude and offensive). This guy was great. He informed me that ShurFlo has recognized they had a freezing problem with their pumps and redesigned them in mid 2006. My new pump was manufactured in January 2007 and has a redesigned diaphram. I was informed that if I blew out the lines and ran the pump until dry it should not freeze. So, I will go back to my original procedure of blowing out the water lines.