Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Automatic hose reel

Our Vectra has an automatic hose reel. We have never used one before and I don't have any literature on it so here is my question. Does it auto reel out as well as in? The switch is very small but looks like it might be a double throw and broken so it only retracts. To manually drag the hose out it feels and sounds like you are spinning the motor in reverse.

I can get the name brand off it later if that helps.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Our Vectra has an automatic hose reel. We have never used one before and I don't have any literature on it so here is my question. Does it auto reel out as well as in? The switch is very small but looks like it might be a double throw and broken so it only retracts. To manually drag the hose out it feels and sounds like you are spinning the motor in reverse.------------
That is the way mine works. I pull it out (gear noise) and retract with the switch. It goes in kind of fast and I still haven't mastered getting the hose on the reel evenly. Sounds like you have no problem to me.
Have a good time with that Vectra.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jerry,

At least I know it isn't broken. I wonder if I could replace the switch with one that would allow it to power out?

I'll post back if I find anything.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My 2004 Vectra had a manual-out/electric-in water hose reel.

Manufacturer is Glendinning, product is "Hosemaster."

They have a web site with manuals etc. www.glendinningprods.com

I tend not to use it... it's a smaller hose and I usually use a larger diameter hose connected to the water inlet. Better flow rate and volume.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Ed,
Sure enough the info says "manual payout". The one time we did try it, it sounded like it was burning up on the way out. Retracted OK but you are right about the small diameter. We ended up using the old fashion wind it up yourself because the pressure was a little low from the park.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My hose reel has worked fine for 6 years and 50k miles now, most of it full-timing. It does make lots of gear noise when pulling it out, but continues to work...
Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
My hose reel has worked fine for 6 years and 50k miles now, most of it full-timing. It does make lots of gear noise when pulling it out, but continues to work...
Same here, four years of full-timing, several hundred and more times in and out, and it still works as good as it did the first time. Love it and wouldn't live in my home without it.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Glad I found this post... Everyone appears to have their Auto hose reel working fine...

... My luck is not going well with this... When I "REWIND" using the switch, it KINKS up.... I end up pulling it all out approx 25 feet and start the process all over.... Kink... Kink.. and it runs the battery down..

Any suggestions other than pulling out the WHOLE white Panel to do some diagnostic work or can I spray the water hose with a silicone spray so it slips back in...

In Advance
Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Our Camelot has a power hose reel located behind the white panel in the utility bay. I had repeated problems with the hose jumping the left rim of the reel and wrapping itself around the axle, followed by rounds of cursing while trying to get the hose off the axle. Monaco's white panel effectively blocks any access to the hose reel. The cause of the problem was the path of the hose through the hole in the panel, past the gray water tank drain and then on to the reel caused the hose to jump the reel.

The solution - take your saws-all, or a similar tool, and cut the bottom four inches off the left side of the white panel. This gives you access to the hose reel and allows you to guide the hose as it winds up. I haven't had any problems after this bit of corrective surgery. The sole purpose of this part of the white panel is to block access to the hose reel. After surgery, it's even possible to put a new hose on the reel without removing the panel (needed after the Aqua-Hot exhaust melted a hole in the original hose).
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennb100 View Post
Our Camelot has a power hose reel located behind the white panel in the utility bay. I had repeated problems with the hose jumping the left rim of the reel and wrapping itself around the axle, followed by rounds of cursing while trying to get the hose off the axle. Monaco's white panel effectively blocks any access to the hose reel. The cause of the problem was the path of the hose through the hole in the panel, past the gray water tank drain and then on to the reel caused the hose to jump the reel.

The solution - take your saws-all, or a similar tool, and cut the bottom four inches off the left side of the white panel. This gives you access to the hose reel and allows you to guide the hose as it winds up. I haven't had any problems after this bit of corrective surgery. The sole purpose of this part of the white panel is to block access to the hose reel. After surgery, it's even possible to put a new hose on the reel without removing the panel (needed after the Aqua-Hot exhaust melted a hole in the original hose).

YIKES...Surgery on the white Panel.. You are a brave person... I will have to think that one through a bit more.. You don't like my silicone idea on the hose ??

My manufacturer is Shoreline-Model CW40D

POTABLE WATER HOSE REEL Model # CW40D
Specifications Summary

• Dimensions - 10.5 x 11.5 x 13
  • Weight - 17 lbs. with hose
  • 40 Foot Hose (1/2 inch)
  • Warranty - 2 years

Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My vectra is also manual pull out and electric in.....
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote