Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone had any experience with the Auto Winterization Water Heater Bypass valve. Mine is leaking from the top adjustment screw and after conversation with Swan Industries today I am led to believe this is a common problem with these valves. Has anyone had any success with taking one apart to change the seal that is causing the leak/bypass. I am going to attempt the repair with the valve installed and am hopeful someone on the forum has already done this.

Thanks all.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Anyone had any experience with the Auto Winterization Water Heater Bypass valve. Mine is leaking from the top adjustment screw and after conversation with Swan Industries today I am led to believe this is a common problem with these valves. Has anyone had any success with taking one apart to change the seal that is causing the leak/bypass. I am going to attempt the repair with the valve installed and am hopeful someone on the forum has already done this.

Thanks all.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 08-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Rick,

Mine always leaked and never did work as advertised. I finally quit using them. We full time so we don't have to winterize, but if we did, we would replace these with manual valves.

Good luck with your repair.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Jim,

Did you bypass them?

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 08-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Rick...I remember reading on a forum about these leaking valves...it seems that there is a metal washer with a raised flange that eats into the rubber washer/seal and causes the leaking. I believe the fix was to replace the rubber washer/seal and then don't use the raised metal washer without pounding the flange flat or substituting with a flat washer....Hope it helps...I would try a search on several forums to learn more....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Rick do a search for author Tomcat 15. He had a real problem with these and he had them apart several times..Good luck,,,jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Rick,

I haven't bypassed them yet....the dealer (after 3 attempts) finally got them to stop leaking and i've left them that way. Sorry.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Jim,

I'm going for repair (leakless) on the first attempt. Wish me luck. Just hours away from parts in hand.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I replaced mine 3 times. Winnebago furnished 2 the first year and swan sent a third the 2nd yr.
I doubt you can replace the seal in place, at least mine had to be removed in my Horizon. I finally gave up & put in manual valves and no more problem. Of course it always went out while on a trip and once while driving and we didn't hear the pump running. When we arrived at our forest site no water!
Good luck
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote