Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Atwood Hot Water Heater Ignitor

I own a 1989 Winnie Chieftain. It has what appears to be the original Atwood water heater. I believe that the model number is G54BLF-2. I replaced the gas control a couple of months ago, and everything worked fine, but now I believe that the ignitor has gone out, because I don't get the tic-tic-tic when I try to light it.
Is there any way to test the module to see if that is the problem? My local camper center here says they can't. I don't want to shell out the money without knowing for sure.
I have gotten a lot of good info from these forums, and I feel certain that someone out there can help me.
Thanks in advance
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There is a download for Atwood water heaters in the " Files " drop box , that may help . If your heater has thermal and high limit switches , then power must flow through them to allow the control module to start the spark cycle and open the gas valve.

EDIT: The Files drop box is in the blue bar across the page under the Google search box , left side near your " User CP."
Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Knugent,
Clean the panel Connecter with an eraser and contact cleaner.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

How can you get to the "Files" using the IRV2 app?
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Have you checked the gap in the igniter? Many times rust falls down from the flue and 'shorts out' the igniter, resulting on no spark.
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Knugent,
Clean the panel Connecter with an eraser and contact cleaner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Y View Post
Have you checked the gap in the igniter? Many times rust falls down from the flue and 'shorts out' the igniter, resulting on no spark.
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
Both good answers.

The water heater on my Suncrusiser started acting up this spring. I cleaned the contacts on the ignition wire and sanded the rust off the igniter. Igniter would tick a couple of times then stop. Gas valve would open then immediately close. I then pulled the fuse at the top of the ignition control module and it was just slightly corroded. I sanded the fuse and plugged it in and out a bunch of times. Hit the plug with a little electrical cleaner.

Boom, fires right up now.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all these ideas. I will try them and get back with ya'll.
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater