Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Aqua-hot

Just a heads up to anyone traveling and have a problem with your aqua hot. We were in Canada and our low level cutoff switch stopped working. We were without hot water so I called aqua hot was told they would send a new part to a dealer in Canada. I found a dealer and called back to aqua hot and ordered the part through the dealer. They sent the wrong part but I took it along because I ordered it. I called back to Aqua hot and was told how to hot wire around the switch they said I could get the right part when I got home. I called them to exchange the parts and was told they would not take the wrong part back or even trade at a extra cost to me. They said I would need to go through the dealer in Canada. I am in Indiana it would cost a lot of extra time and money to ship it back to Canada. They know how to get rid of old parts for a nice profit. They would not work with me at all. Be careful
jlr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr44 View Post
Just a heads up to anyone traveling and have a problem with your aqua hot. We were in Canada and our low level cutoff switch stopped working. We were without hot water so I called aqua hot was told they would send a new part to a dealer in Canada. I found a dealer and called back to aqua hot and ordered the part through the dealer. They sent the wrong part but I took it along because I ordered it. I called back to Aqua hot and was told how to hot wire around the switch they said I could get the right part when I got home. I called them to exchange the parts and was told they would not take the wrong part back or even trade at a extra cost to me. They said I would need to go through the dealer in Canada. I am in Indiana it would cost a lot of extra time and money to ship it back to Canada. They know how to get rid of old parts for a nice profit. They would not work with me at all. Be careful
did they send the wrong part or did you order the wrong part?

If they sent the wrong part why did you purchase it? Guess in the long run if it wasn't the correct part you shouldn't have taken it either way. As a dealer they could have returned it. If you felt bad for them making an effort to order a part, etc. then you could have just given them a tip.

Another call or email to someone in authority would be worth the time. You need someone that can override their standard policy, not just the parts guy or even the parts manager.

good luck
Old 08-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You are right I should not have let the parts manager scare my into thinking I was at fault. I ordered the part without a number because I was told it is a common sensor for 450 D. The manager told me I could not have ordered the part that way. They took the order and sent the wrong part I was told this by another person in sales but Jim Yates, the person I talked with later said that was impossible. I did not know they had a perfect shipping department. It still ended up to be my fault. I will survive the loss I just wanted to pass the word.
jlr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

When we were shopping for a newer MH any unit with Aquahot was an instant deal breaker. Friends with Aquahot took way too many showers in our 5th wheel.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our Revolution came with an "odd-ball" Aqua Hot unit. It took awhile, but the company eventually made good on their promise to make it right. After that, no issues, worked great with just regular maintenance.

Outside of Newmar, the vast majority of diesel rig water and heat units are Aqua Hot. I don't see an unusual number of complaints here, given the thousands in use.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
When we were shopping for a newer MH any unit with Aquahot was an instant deal breaker. Friends with Aquahot took way too many showers in our 5th wheel.

There are many thousands of AH units operating trouble free year after year. We have lived full time in an AH equipped coach for going on 10 years and for us, not having AH is a deal breaker.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
There are many thousands of AH units operating trouble free year after year. We have lived full time in an AH equipped coach for going on 10 years and for us, not having AH is a deal breaker.

When I was shopping, AH was a must have.
Airflite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr44 View Post
You are right I should not have let the parts manager scare my into thinking I was at fault. I ordered the part without a number because I was told it is a common sensor for 450 D. The manager told me I could not have ordered the part that way. They took the order and sent the wrong part I was told this by another person in sales but Jim Yates, the person I talked with later said that was impossible. I did not know they had a perfect shipping department. It still ended up to be my fault. I will survive the loss I just wanted to pass the word.

I understand you wanting to pass the word around, think most appreciate knowing others' experiences.

I'd keep after them till you find the right person. Seems you're getting the shuffle treatment.

I have the Truma on mine so I don't know personally the company you are dealing with. I do know manufacturing and customer service, you need to get above the clearks and first level managers for someone who can make a decision other than "that's the way it is". Probably worth mentioning that you are posting on the forums - almost no one likes bad publicity...

again, keep at them & good luck