Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello, I've tried searching through the forum but can't find any info on this. I have a 2004 Brave 32V that I bought used earlier this year and there is a little leak on each side of the flat plastic piece that is attached to the wall where the shower hose comes out of it. It's very hard to describe, so I've included a picture:
Close up of shower part

Does anyone know how to get all that stuff off to see if maybe something is loose or needs to be replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
rollins215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello, I've tried searching through the forum but can't find any info on this. I have a 2004 Brave 32V that I bought used earlier this year and there is a little leak on each side of the flat plastic piece that is attached to the wall where the shower hose comes out of it. It's very hard to describe, so I've included a picture:
Close up of shower part

Does anyone know how to get all that stuff off to see if maybe something is loose or needs to be replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I suggest you send an Email to Winnebago and attach your picture ...

Owner Relations email address

==> [email protected]
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Don't know if this will help but:
1. The hose will unscrew from the wall connection. Wrap a cloth, etc around it and gently use channel locks to untighten enough, then use your hand.
2. The wall connection should have a fitting screwed into it that the hose screwed onto.
Leave this fitting on for something to grip with your hands(?) and the wall fitting in its entirety should now unscrew from the plumbing connection behind the wall. Probably wasn't any teflon tape used.
3. We have the Moen shower setup and this is what our connections looked like.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

On our 2004 Adventurer we have the same set up. I had a small leak in the same place. To fix it I first unscrewed the shower hose. Then the round brass cap unscrews from the wall. Behind that is the pipe that feeds the shower, the gold cap screws into it. I put teflon pipe tape on the fitting and screwed the round brass cap back on the pipe. Then I screwed the shower hose back on.....no more leak. If you have a leak where the hose hooks onto the round brass cover good luck. There is a small rubber washer in there that can dry out. They are hard to find. That washer is like a hose washer only smaller. Hope this helped.

Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hey, thanks for all the help! I'll give it a try this evening or tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #7

When replacing any plastic water-line parts, is it best to use teflon pipe tape? Or is plastic t plastic best? The water lines to my shower faucet use three different types of plastic: a semi-clear water line, an abs-type elbow and black plastic in-bound connection at the back of the faucet.

Thank you,
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
JC2
Winnie-Wise

I use teflon tape on everything with threaded connections unless directions state otherwise. Cheap, reliable insurance.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just got a chance to look at the shower and your instructions worked perfectly, I got the shower hose right off then the brass pieces unscrewed out of the wall fairly easily. No evidence of any tape having been on the threads, they look pretty new actually. However, in the white part built into the wall that the brass piece screws into, there seems to be a white-ish rubber gasket or sealant around the back of it that is not perfect, it's clumped in one spot. I suspect that's the cause of the leak since with that clump it's not possible to make a perfect seal against the back of the fitting. I added a picture to this posting of what I'm talking about.

Should I scrape out that stuff in there or leave it? I'm going to put the teflon tape around the fitting either way, just not sure if I should remove that white stuff or not.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
JC2
Winnie-Wise

It would appear to me that some type of rubber o-ring or gasket should be at the bottom of the threaded area and possibly just above the female threaded area. If you don't have a manual for your shower plumbing, I would call Winnebago with the serial number of your rig and they should be able to tell the name/model of the show setup and the availability of a manual with a blow up picture of the assembly showing any/all parts. See if this thread for the 2004 Brave 32V has any usefull info. http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...2004/index.php
Old 06-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

That O-Ring is dead anyway. Carefully pull it out and see if Home Depot, etc. has anything in the plumbing dept that will fit.

Failing that, the folks at Lichtsinn (one of the sponsors here) will ID and ship it to you with a 3 min phonecall. I'd start at HD 1st.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well, I replaced the o-ring and used the teflon tape but it still leaks. I did find a way to stop it though...it doesn't leak if I leave off the white plastic trim ring that goes between the brass part and the white plastic trim plate attached to the wall. It seems that it prevents it from going far enough into the the threaded fitting in the wall. It's kind of ugly without that piece there, but it does work.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

rollins215,
Let me see if I can explain what I am thinking. When looking at your picture with the fittings removed it looks like maybe the fitting that is inside the wall might be contacting the inside of the shower wall when you put it back together. Does that make sense to you? If that was happening it seems like it would keep the outer piece from screwing all the way in especially with the plastic trim ring installed. Since it is easy to work on do you think this would be worth trying?? CAREFULLY trim just enough of the shower wall away to clear the fitting that is in the wall then put everything back toether and see if it leaks. From you picture it just looks like the shower wall might be keeping the fitting from clearing it. Just an idea. Good luck.

Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote