Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Any way to drain the macerator hose?

Hi all,

I am new to RVs. I just bought a used Winnebago ERA that has a macerator pump for waste. When emptying the tanks, the pump works fine and pumps the waste through the hose until the tank is empty.

However, at that time the water stops flowing, and I still have a bunch of grey water in the attached hose. Gravity will not drain the hose, and no amount of wiggling the hose will cause it to drain.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?
divide0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is the macerator for the gray tank only? I use a 3" cap with a 3/4" male end that fits a standard garden hose. I made up a 1" hose for the gray water tank with a 3/4" female fitting on one end and just pump the gray tank through it. It usually empties completely.
The cap is like this one.
https://www.amazon.ca/Valterra-Produ...563Z2JV50T4S8V
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

On my era, the macerator is permanently installed from the factory. Both black and gray go through it.

The problem is that without the pump pushing the water through, it becomes trapped. Like putting your finger on the end of a drinking straw.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I always get scorched for doing this, but maybe try asking the question in the Class B section of the forum. Winnebago only has about 6 types of B vans, and maybe someone over there might have a solution for you.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Is this a harden hose type drain? If it is the vacuum keeping it from draining, perhaps try a form of "vacuum breaker" to let air in to let the water out? Thinking of adding a Tee or splitter as used for more than one garden hose, only in this case use it as a way to open one part to let air in?
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-H.../dp/B013PWS8ZI
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Is this a harden hose type drain? If it is the vacuum keeping it from draining, perhaps try a form of "vacuum breaker" to let air in to let the water out?
That is an interesting thought. The macerator is mounted in a metal box in the middle of the undercarriage, so might be hard to toggle a valve there.

Thanks for the idea, though.i might look into some real vacuum breakers, although I worry that the waste may foul them.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yes, location does sound difficult. Any potential in adding the y, adding a short hose to a location that can be reached and then capping that hose? No ideas on your RV and it takes some looking but I'm often amazed at how much space there is left over in RV in places where we might run a hose to get to it but not be a bother most of the time. Since it only takes hose and an end sticking out, perhaps just strapped to the underside to come up behind the stool, etc. where you can reach for the occasional need. I find my cabinet drawers pull out far enough to let me reach in and over the drawer and there is certainly lots of empty space back there. One would want to make the hose go higher than the drain at some point to avoid the air gap hose filling with waste for the yuck factor when using!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hose

Hi,

I have an era with the same pump system. First is that they put the black water valve and the grey water valve in series. You must have both valves open to drain. I have a 25 foot line and it drains fine with gravity. To test park on a slope and run your hose downhill. it should drain. Lastly I installed a PVC ball valve on the end of the hose. I simply close it when I am done and no water escapes.
era4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Not a direct answer but a thought to consider. I have a 2016 View. I don't use the macerator pump for gray tank drainage at all. I remove the male plug from the 1.5" drain line (under the coach near the gray tank valve), hold the 3" hose under it, & open the gray drain valve. It only takes a few minutes to drain completely with gravity, much quicker than the pump. I suspect the only reason for the macerator is to have only one drain hose attachment for black & gray, but at least on mine, that requires fluid to be pumped uphill vs a simple gravity drain. Food for thought.
CDAVEGO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace