Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anode Rod

I noticed when I drained my recently purchased 2006 Adventure water heater that the drain plug was plastic and there was no Anode Rod attached. should there be ? should I replace the plug with a metal one with the rod attached ? thanx Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
edj
Winnebago Camper

Do you have a Suburban water heater? I think that is the only one that needs an anode rod. I thought that Atwood did not use an anode rod, but I just looked at Camping World and they sell anode rods for an Atwood brand also. I have never seen an Atwood than need one though.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It depends on the brand of tank you have.

If it's a Suburban brand, you should have a rod & if you don't see one (or remnants of one) then it corroded away & you will need a new one.

If you have an Atwood brand, they don't have rods & don't need them because their tanks are a different metal (aluminum lined, I think).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I thought that Atwood did not use an anode rod, but I just looked at Camping World and they sell anode rods for an Atwood brand also. I have never seen an Atwood than need one though.
Don't fall for the CW Atwood anode thing. Atwoods don't need nor should they have an anode. A couple of years ago i discovered this on my new coach. The dealer had sold me an anode telling me I needed it. When I drained the hot water tank after a year or so I had an unbelievable mess on my hands.

Why CW sells them is a mystery to me and in a thread dating back to that incident I don't think any other members could explain it either.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think I've also read on the Forums, somewhere, putting an anode rod in an Atwood tank will void any warranty.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #6

Suberban Is a steel tank.. It needs an anode Rod. The atwood is aluminum Tank and does NOT use an anode; Unless you want to ruin your tank , Then Put an anoid in ti;; Also the Plastic plug Is Installed for a reason. DO NOT REPLACE IT WITH A METAL PLUG;;;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
edj
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Suberban Is a steel tank.. It needs an anode Rod. The atwood is aluminum Tank and does NOT use an anode; Unless you want to ruin your tank , Then Put an anoid in ti;; Also the Plastic plug Is Installed for a reason. DO NOT REPLACE IT WITH A METAL PLUG;;;;
I have an Atwood in my old 5th-wheel and a Suburban in my new one. I have always used the plastic plug and carry a spare just in case. I would think one of the primary reasons is that if the plug thread gets cross-threaded, it will destroy the cheap plug and not the very expensive aluminum tank thread.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I think it might be more due to what happens when dissimilar metals are in contact with each other causing the al tank and a steel plug to "weld" together.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

thanx

thanx to everyone for their input. this is why I love this site so much. the experience and knowledge of RVers far exceeds the dealers. Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote