Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Adjustable Water Pressure Regulator

When adjusting the water pressure while hooked up in a campground do you adjust it with the water running or with the water off?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I adjust my Watts 263a with the pressure built up ( turn on and then turn off ). When the water is running the pressure goes down , so you can't get a proper reading.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

X2, you need to measure it when air is out but water is off.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Another way that works is to start off with the regulator handle wound out several turns.
Turn on the outside faucet and then turn on an interior faucet full to purge any air in the system and then reduce the flow at the inside faucet so water comes out the spout in a thin stream.

Then wind the regulator adjustment in until your gauge reads the desired pressure.
Turn the inside faucet off.

Then, provided the mains supply is "solid" with decent pipe sizes and low pressure drops, you should have reasonably constant pressure indicating on the gauge from zero flow to the specified full flow of the regulator.
Note, the apparent pressure inside the coach - if you could measure it - will still drop as the flow increases because of pressure drops inside the coach piping
Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Do you have to go through that whole routine every time you move or hook up?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If you want to do it right. It takes about 6 seconds while you're hooking up the hose.
Cliff

Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Just curious, so whats the suggested pressure, I have spoken to some who do not use regulators, others in the business say in the coach 50-60lbs is ok, others never go over the pre set numbers on the cheaper regulators. I've been doing this since the 70's but never really tried to get optimum water pressure. I have been using the adjustable gauge for about 2 years.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I use 50-60.

Cliff

Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I use 50-60.

Cliff
Ditto here. I found that this is a very acceptable pressure for our use so I've set it and forgotten it. I do have gauges on the inlet and outlet of my Watts so I can give a quick check when I'm hooked up, but I never bother to readjust it when we move.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Do you have to go through that whole routine every time you move or hook up?
No! Assuming a normal range of inlet pressures and a quality regulator of adequate flow capacity, it is pretty much a set once and forget exercise. Loosen the locknut, set the pressure and tighten the locknut. Over years the spring inside does tend to weaken a tad, but that is a very long term effect.
One thing I would suggest is fitting one of those conical wire strainers at the supply side of the regulator to prevent any pipeline scale or sludge messing things up but that is good practice anyway.

Only needs checking the pressure once in a blue moon, but of course if the regulator has a gauge on it, you can easy see if the system is OK every time you turn on the faucet at set up.

Reason I suggest setting it with a small flow is that most control systems are happier if they are not in a fully shut down mode so you will get a more accurate and more meaningful setting if the system is actually controlling at the time.

As for suggested pressure - Big advantage of a Watts unit is you get to have a choice. If 20psi gives you enough flow through the shower, then why go higher. Water heaters certainly don't enjoy 60psi. Save the planet one drop at a time.
The main limitation will be if you have a very fine undersink filter that really does need 45psi to get a decent flow through it once it starts to block up a bit.

Tags
water