Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

38Q Magic Water leak and broken again

Well I'm now up to 31 significant items (over 2 typed pages) that have failed or broken on our 7 month old 2016 38Q Adventurer. Each trip to the dealers for repair is a 500- 600 mile round trip event for me in travel to get it there, leave it for repairs, then go get it to get it back home at a later date. That doesn't include the ongoing repairs on the Ford chassis.

Needless to say while we are in love with the design of our 38Q, we're pretty sad about what we were sold. It was to be our dream motorhome and the last one we will likely own in this lifetime. We're feeling pretty badly about how much we've invested in this rig only to find out its poorly built and rarely have we been able to even travel without a major component failure. This is our 8th RV in 35 years and we've never experienced anywhere near the problems we've had with this rig. But that's all another story.

Last week we were traveling-- hoping our problems were behind us- only to have the wiper and bulb seal on the upper rear passenger side slide somehow catch on the rack and pinion gears on the slide resulting in a destroyed seal on that slide-- and grinding the slide mechanism to a stop. The seal got chewed up and jammed in the slide gears pretty good before we recognized the damage that was done. I managed to clean out the rubber all jammed up in the pinion on the motor and get the slide operating to retract it.

Then came the new leak. This one is driving me nuts. I'm pretty good at identifying leak sources and plumbing systems on an RV is generally an easy pretty straight forward issue to work with for me. But not this time.

Location: Drivers side - 3rd compartment back from the front. Compartment that has the tank drain valve and through which the overflow line passes through to beneath the rig.

Finding:: Pooled water ONLY in the floor of that specific compartment.

Nothing is revealing any leakage from the tank above, nor from the overflow line, the tank fittings (all of which I have been able to access and check), nor the drain valve or line. Simply put everything above the floor level is bone dry!Everything at floor level of only this one compartment is saturated with fresh water!

Anyone have any experience with a leak in this area or idea about a source for this new lake in our RV?

Magic water??????
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Too bad most states don't cover RV's with their "Lemon Laws." Your Winnebago would certainly qualify. With all the problems you've had Winnebago should do something above and beyond to show they are a reputable manufacturer that cares about producing a quality product and their customers. I don't know what that is but swapping you out for a 2017 that they've went over with a fine tooth comb would be one way.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
Well I'm now up to 31 significant items (over 2 typed pages) that have failed or broken on our 7 month old 2016 38Q Adventurer. Each trip to the dealers for repair is a 500- 600 mile round trip event for me in travel to get it there, leave it for repairs, then go get it to get it back home at a later date. That doesn't include the ongoing repairs on the Ford chassis.

Needless to say while we are in love with the design of our 38Q, we're pretty sad about what we were sold. It was to be our dream motorhome and the last one we will likely own in this lifetime. We're feeling pretty badly about how much we've invested in this rig only to find out its poorly built and rarely have we been able to even travel without a major component failure. This is our 8th RV in 35 years and we've never experienced anywhere near the problems we've had with this rig. But that's all another story.

Last week we were traveling-- hoping our problems were behind us- only to have the wiper and bulb seal on the upper rear passenger side slide somehow catch on the rack and pinion gears on the slide resulting in a destroyed seal on that slide-- and grinding the slide mechanism to a stop. The seal got chewed up and jammed in the slide gears pretty good before we recognized the damage that was done. I managed to clean out the rubber all jammed up in the pinion on the motor and get the slide operating to retract it.

Then came the new leak. This one is driving me nuts. I'm pretty good at identifying leak sources and plumbing systems on an RV is generally an easy pretty straight forward issue to work with for me. But not this time.

Location: Drivers side - 3rd compartment back from the front. Compartment that has the tank drain valve and through which the overflow line passes through to beneath the rig.

Finding:: Pooled water ONLY in the floor of that specific compartment.

Nothing is revealing any leakage from the tank above, nor from the overflow line, the tank fittings (all of which I have been able to access and check), nor the drain valve or line. Simply put everything above the floor level is bone dry!Everything at floor level of only this one compartment is saturated with fresh water!

Anyone have any experience with a leak in this area or idea about a source for this new lake in our RV?

Magic water??????
I understand your frustration...our 15 Adventurer 32h had 40 items that needed to be repaired the first year...but finally they were all taken care of and the MH was fine for the last year we owned it before trading it in on a diesel pusher which we just love...
I had an ongoing water leak issue as well. I found that when the water heater was on the added pressure from the hot water was causing one of the hot water connections to leak...drove me crazy for a while until I noticed it one day...a simple tightening of the connection solved it.
Good luck!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi Joe,
I feel your frustration. I currently have a 2015 38Q. My previous coach was a 2010 Discovery DP that was a nightmare for 5 years. Anyone owning a motorhome surely would like to be trouble free, but we know the reality - these RV's take a pounding and combine that with some 'bad day' manufacturing, we start our ownership with frustrations! My 38Q has had the slide issues (galley slide upgraded to the Power gear mechanism - Bedroom slide has new motor and hardware changes) a couple of leaks and several minor cosmetic issues. I know from your posts that I am probably lucky with mine. My dealer is 150 miles one way, but that was my choice to purchase there and I have no regrets about that choice yet - At the end of my basic warranty). As long as we get the support from WB and the dealer (I have), I think I am doing OK despite the wishful thinking about a perfect experience. As far as the small compartment water leak, have you physically watched the compartment with the water system pressurized and as suggested, hot water tank up to temp? A visual on the water seeping in may help with the trouble shooting. One of my leaks was the rear emergency window under moderate rain while static. I watched the bottom of the window and window sill for at least 10 min and was able to determine the leak came from under the frame not the glass area. It helped the dealer to pin point the problem. Good luck in the future Joe. Maybe we can trade problems and fixes going forward.
Primetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Service dept found the leak

The service dept at the dealership found the drain connection at the fresh water tank was leaking and the entire drain valve/ line is to be replaced and resealed. I must be getting old as I went all over that line and could not detect any water.

The rig is also headed to Ford for a leaky front differential seal and something gone haywire in the rear suspension??

Parts on order for the damaged slide seal.

Waiting for our baby to come home.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Same types of issues on our 14 38Q. Our leak that appeared in front of the fridge was a leaking in-wall shower line. Was told it was ice cubes falling out and melting. Had to empty ice bin and turn off the maker to prove it wasn't. All three slides failed. Two Schwintec and one Power Gear. Power seat broke. Wasn't right for so years. Still have a problem with black tank odors at under half full. I suspect a misplaced vent pipe. Other possibilities ruled out.

QC at WBGO is lacking. We have just started living half the year in the rig. Very nervous about getting repairs with the long holding time at the dealer. Hoping for a competent mobile tech.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Joe, I'm sure there are many of us on this forum following the trials and tribulations with your new 38Q. We're pulling for you and hoping Winnebago and your dealer get it right.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Joe, we've all been there - list of problems that is. We're on our 6th coach now, last 2 have been Winnebagos. After frustration with dealer on previous coach (3 weeks to fix 4 items, 3 done wrong!), we went to factory. They did the 20 items on our list, plus 2 recalls the dealer didn't address, and a roof inspection. All in 3 DAYS, not week/months, and all done correctly. We now take coach to factory for almost all repairs. 750 miles one way, but well worth getting work done correctly and promptly.

Skip Y
'10 Journey 40TD
'15 Equinox
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Joe,
I feel your pain. We had a 2015 38Q that the factory and dealer could never get it to stop leaking on the passenger seat. It spent 7 months of the first year being repaired to no avail with all the problems. After Winnebago said they we need it a month to repair the leak for the 9th time and not help us on a trade. She said we are done with this lemon, we will take the loss and trade it in. We did and did not buy another Winne.
Good luck with your unit.
Bob
Old 11-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

It would seem to me a trip back to the factory for repairs is of the first order. WGO should take care of the issues.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobder41 View Post
we will take the loss and trade it in. We did and did not buy another Winne.Bob
How's the Expedition?
Old 11-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Advice, support, and encouragement appreciated

Many thanks to the "38Q Troop" for your words of advice, support, and encouragement.

In Sept while out west when the driver side forward slide stripped the pinion gear in the rear ram I wanted to swing through Forest City on the way home for repairs. They could not fit me in for at least 2 months, but they offered I could come and wait at the factory until they could fit me in-- and they could not define how long that wait might be. I've heard folks who have had short waits and others who had to wait a few days. Regardless, because of other obligations, I could not work with uncertainty at that point as to when and how long that experience might be. So I took it back to my dealer who did well and fixed that problem.

My 32 issues have cropped up individually over a period of 7 months- and something new and significant seems to fail every trip out for us. So far the dealer has done well and gotten me back up and running in a pretty fast tine frame and all their repairs have held. So with that kind of support and response its easier for me to rely on them rather than to drive up to WBGO for each failure that have cropped up multiple trips over the extended period of time.

I yearn for the rig to stop having failures each trip out and hope that day comes soon. The good news is I am running out of slides that can fail. I'm half way through the total inventory of slides!!!

I am a bit concerned about the Ford chassis issues--- loud popping sound on weight shifts/turns at the rear and the leaking rear axle differential. At this writing I do not yet have a status on any of the repairs other than they planned to order parts. 5 days now and counting. The WBGO slide and water tank leak repairs by the dealer seem simple and straight forward and I do not expect any delays other than possibly getting lost in the shuffle . I am concerned about what may or may mot be bigger issues with the chassis at a Ford shop in NE Georgia. More to come when I know something.

Thanks all

Joe
Old 11-12-2016, 05:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The wife and I are very happy with it. It is a 1 1/2 bath like the 38q. We have had a few minor issues, but nothing that I could not easily repair. Shame they quit making them and replaced them with the upgraded discovery line.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The wife and I are very happy with it.
Good to hear. I'm watching Joe's issues with his 38Q, probably like other Q owners and prospective owners. Like Joe, we love the floor plan. I hope he finally gets to use his coach problem free. I also hope I don't have to go through the same multitude of failures that Joe is dealing with. My coach is at Camping World St. Augustine right now for a list of warranty issues. In spite of CW's reputation, I'm hoping for a positive experience. Time will tell.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The wife and I are very happy with it. It is a 1 1/2 bath like the 38q. We have had a few minor issues, but nothing that I could not easily repair. Shame they quit making them and replaced them with the upgraded discovery line.
Bob:
Sure hate to hear your 38Q didn't work out but its good to hear you are happy with your Expedition. I'd sure like my 38Q to quit failing and to stabilize but its beginning to look like thats just wishful thinking.

Not sure how much longer we'll be able to sustain dealing with constant failures of the rig. I went from an Itasca (2014 Sunstar 31KE) that NEVER had a glitch in the 2 years we owned it--- to a 38 Q that experiences a major component failure on virtually every trip out of the driveway in 7 months. Go figure.

Your making me think I need to walk away from WBGO products and start a search for a different product and manufacturer. Sounds like I may need to start kicking the tires on some Fleetwoods.

Joe
Old 11-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

IMO a factual letter to WGO management is in order. No one should be subjected to constant issues. WGO says they are wanting to improve. Solving your issues would go a long way to help them with their quest.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO a factual letter to WGO management is in order. No one should be subjected to constant issues. WGO says they are wanting to improve. Solving your issues would go a long way to help them with their quest.
Did that- nothing but silence
Old 11-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I was dealing with the head of national service on our unit. We bought the unit early and after the second time in for repair went full time. The unit had 7300 miles on it when we traded it. 1100 was for personal use, the rest service repairs. We already had more money in hotel room charges them the monthly payments on the coach. When they said another month and a drive to the factory, that is when we made the trade.
Everyone builds a lemon, but when you can not depend on it and can't get any relief from the mfg, it was time to move on.
I am glad we went with the Fleetwood, the customer support group has been great. Our unit has not gone back to the dealer or anyone for repairs yet and everything works.

Bob
Old 11-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I was dealing with the head of national service on our unit. We bought the unit early and after the second time in for repair went full time. The unit had 7300 miles on it when we traded it. 1100 was for personal use, the rest service repairs. We already had more money in hotel room charges them the monthly payments on the coach. When they said another month and a drive to the factory, that is when we made the trade.
Everyone builds a lemon, but when you can not depend on it and can't get any relief from the mfg, it was time to move on.
I am glad we went with the Fleetwood, the customer support group has been great. Our unit has not gone back to the dealer or anyone for repairs yet and everything works.

Bob
You have me looking at Fleetwoods Bob. I'm really worn out with WBGO
Old 11-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
You have me looking at Fleetwoods Bob. I'm really worn out with WBGO
Say it ain't so Joe! Winnebago, are you listening?

Tags
leak, water, water leak