Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 Itasca Sunstar 31KE

I recently purchased a gently used Itasca. I am indebted to the people in this Forum helping others! In the water "cabinet" near the water pump there are three shut offs or valves. One is the diverter at the water pump. One is to drain the freshwater tank. The other... I can't figure out its purpose. It looks like a valve you would find behind your home toilet (shrug). Anyone have an affirmative answer on what it does or when I'd use that valve? (it's the one on the bottom of the attached picture). TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver Valve.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	182897  
gcbartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:46 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Can't tell from the picture but somewhere you have a hot water tank bypass valve. So, freshwater drain, antifreeze inlet for winterizing and hot water bypass are the 3 most common valves. At your fresh water fill connection there should also be a fill/normal valve. EDIT I have a 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F but my valves are different.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Cold water low point drain maybe?
Old 05-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. The hot water bypass valve is under the sink, inside the unit. It could be the cold-water, low point drain... but... i can't see that anything happens when i close/open it. shrug.
gcbartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It definitely looks like the cold water low point drain. If you look underneath your RV in that area you will see three tubes sticking out. One is the cold low point drain, the next in line is the fresh water tank drain, and the last is the fresh water tank overflow drain.

If you have water in your cold water lines and you open that valve, water should drain onto the ground. You may need to open the cold water faucet in the bath or kitchen to break the vacuum. If no water drains out then the valve could be broken or the drain line plugged by insects. Sometimes previous owners do unexpected things like add another valve in that line under the RV.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Winnebago does give us some really nice things online to look at what we've bought without having to crawl around too much!

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Looking at the water, I find this picture of the area and it does show it as a second drain, often called a low point drain. I did a few markups to show what is there.

If this is a new area for you, watch that line at the far right that can be used for drawing anti-freeze in with the pump. Handy when winter comes but if left in the wrong position, the pump is cut off from drawing from the tank and still just sucks onthe capped off suction line!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low point drain copy.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	182902  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca