Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2004 Brave propane shut off valve stem leak

Hi All,

We've owned our Brave a couple years now, and noticed late last year that the propane tank shut off valve stem would leak while turning the valve in or out. Tank is a 28 gallon (23 fill gallons), ASME type.
I verified the leak with soapy water - bubbles while turning, no bubbles when fully seated open or closed. I start calling around the local RV & propane shops. So every RV shop says we don't mess with propane repair, the propane guys can do a fix. The propane guys say we don't do those smaller tanks, the RV guys can help. A classic run-around.

I DIY all repair jobs on the RV, but wanted to get propane issue done by someone with the right tools and knowledge. At this time the tank is completely empty so it's the perfect time to either fix the valve stem or replace the shutoff valve.

Any recommendations in the area? We live in central Virginia.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is replacing the entire tank an option?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

On the other hand? I don't know how propane is setup but many valves for other compressed gases specify that the valve be fully opened or closed as they have internal seals which operate when either way but not when moving between open or closed. I have read that it is because some wear on the stem is expected to happen over time. Perhaps it is not a defect but simply something that happens as the valve is moved?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing the tank would be towards the bottom of my options. Want to try the lesser cost options first.

Update: I did get a return call from a propane tech this afternoon. Gonna meet him on Saturday with our rig. Might be getting somewhere, we’ll see.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

not to be a smart ass but I never turn my lp off. why do you?
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Propane gets turned off when going through some tunnels as required, other times when filling or working on things like the furnace.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #7
Happily Retired

Best reason to shut off propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka99 View Post
1) If you have a blowout and it rips your propane line you have a major hazard.

2) if you have an accident and your propane line gets ripped, same thing.

3) If your propane line deteriorates and leaks

In any case, if your pane tank is turned off when traveling you contain all hazards to the strongest part of the system.
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Propane tec changed ours it was a quick inexpensive job. We found out our valve wasn't working when we could turn on the stove while the tank was turned off.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If you feel competent, and the tank is empty, consider this as DIY. Just use proper thread sealant, replace parts as needed, put in a small charge and test. Being the tank is empty, check with more propane dealers if you are uncomfortable. I had an earlier Brave at one time, similar problem, easy replacement.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I'm in Virginia also and got a local Amerigas distributor to put a new one on mine a couple years back.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
1) If you have a blowout and it rips your propane line you have a major hazard.

2) if you have an accident and your propane line gets ripped, same thing.

3) If your propane line deteriorates and leaks

In any case, if your pane tank is turned off when traveling you contain all hazards to the strongest part of the system.
As to the second, some of us need the gas on when moving for the refrigerator. I guess that's an advantage for a 12 volt refrigerator I had not thought about.

For those trailers with dual auto-switching tanks it would be a reason to not leave them both on while moving. Or even not to rely on the auto-switching and just switch over manually when you think you're running low.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The serious RV accidents that I've come across make me think leaving the gas on is not adding that much to the hazard! Since it is often just a pile of rubble when it gets done, letting it burn is not doing much more damage, is it?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

We are talking about a 100 lb capacity DOT tank and not a 10 or 20 lb tank for a barbecue grill here so by no means a small tank that you would throw into the back of your car in order to swap out for a new one.

Any competent dealer who inspects and certifies propane tanks should be able to tighten the packing or replace the valve which is a fairly common and inexpensive repair. A Full Service Propane Refill Station may also be set up to take care of this and many will take care of adjusting the packing nut (if your valve is so equipped) at no extra charge if your a regular customer.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
We are talking about a 100 lb capacity DOT tank and not a 10 or 20 lb tank for a barbecue grill here so by no means a small tank that you would throw into the back of your car in order to swap out for a new one. .
The other (bigger?) difference is the tank is in the same vehicle as people.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka99 View Post
I dont't turn mine off either
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post

Yes but by no means a disposable tank tank or one without a large network of service locations or readily available parts for servicing them with. Sales figures even in the past few years show that about 1/2 million new motor homes are sold each year with over 20 times that already registered so that's an awful lot of DOT propane tanks that dealers need to service and inspect when a used one passes through their hands.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Yes but by no means a disposable tank tank or one without a large network of service locations or readily available parts for servicing them with. Sales figures even in the past few years show that about 1/2 million new motor homes are sold each year with over 20 times that already registered so that's an awful lot of DOT propane tanks that dealers need to service and inspect when a used one passes through their hands.
My point was more there's a greater risk when the tank is in the same vehicle as people. On the other hand I would point out that there are some propane and LNG powered trucks and other vehicles, and they obviously have to have their tanks on when moving. Also, even the electric cars are dangerous if the batteries are damaged.

BTW, I was looking at the manual for my Winnebago trailer and no where does it seem to warn that you should have the tanks off during towing.

Tags
brave, leak, propane