Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2 Problems Drain Leak from Galley Sink and H2O Pump on the Fritz

Problem #1
I believe I have a leak on the drain of my Galley Sink. I need to know how and where is the connection of the drain.... It looks like to me that it only leaks when the slide is OUT....... I have the Plumbing PDF but I don't see where the connection is....

I Have a 2004 Itasca Meridian 34H with 2 slides. Big one slides out the couch and Galley...........

Thanks LeeB

Problem #2 My water pump has just started running ALL the time.... Is it time for a new pump? If so what is recommended? or can I just replace the diaphragm.....
Old 04-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You have a leak and the water pump just started running all the time. Sounds like the two are related. I would bet you have a leak in the plumbing coming to the sink not the drain which would cause the pump to run all the time.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford12 View Post
You have a leak and the water pump just started running all the time. Sounds like the two are related. I would bet you have a leak in the plumbing coming to the sink not the drain which would cause the pump to run all the time.
I do tend to agree with you except the leak only happens at the Galley Sink with both hot AND cold water... I look at all the connections I could see and saw nothing that could possibly be a leak (water trails etc).....

I am going to try and stop up the sink and fill it full of water and then release it and see what happens......
Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had a water leak in the galley sink drain system too. I found it in the 1-1/2" flex tube that allows the drain to function in the moving slide. It was a small crack that opened up when the slide was out.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
I had a water leak in the galley sink drain system too. I found it in the 1-1/2" flex tube that allows the drain to function in the moving slide. It was a small crack that opened up when the slide was out.
Any chance you took pictures? or advice on how you fixed it?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My floor plan has a couple of drawers next to the oven at the end of the galley slide. I removed these drawers and could see the flex tube and the damaged area. I have an access panel in the water closet that once removed I could get at the flex tube fitting. Your floor plan is a little different but you should have an access panel in the bath room area and or under the galley sink. Home Depot had flex tube and replacement fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	124468  
Old 04-18-2016, 04:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If your pump is continuously running, you have a pretty big leak.

First i would turn on the pump, and open a faucet and see if water comes out, if so, the pump is working and not the problem. Next i would close that faucet and then start looking for a leak, with that kind of flow, i would think it we be easy to find.

I had to replace the faucet in my main sink as it was leaking from the bottom.

If you cannot see anything under the sink area then i would go to the basement and beyond to see where its wet.

Good Luck
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
If your pump is continuously running, you have a pretty big leak.

First i would turn on the pump, and open a faucet and see if water comes out, if so, the pump is working and not the problem. Next i would close that faucet and then start looking for a leak, with that kind of flow, i would think it we be easy to find.

I had to replace the faucet in my main sink as it was leaking from the bottom.

If you cannot see anything under the sink area then i would go to the basement and beyond to see where its wet.

Good Luck
Thanks that's the problem is I see no leak anywhere several of us looked for something somewhere and saw nothing.... If I turn on a faucet I get water so the pump is working (somewhat) it has been suggested that the diaphragm is shot so it can not build up pressure. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
My floor plan has a couple of drawers next to the oven at the end of the galley slide. I removed these drawers and could see the flex tube and the damaged area. I have an access panel in the water closet that once removed I could get at the flex tube fitting. Your floor plan is a little different but you should have an access panel in the bath room area and or under the galley sink. Home Depot had flex tube and replacement fittings.
I am going to do some more and better searching. My plan is to fill the sink and drain it (with the slide in) and do the same thing with the slide out. I do have extended warranty and I may use it. I just don't want to take the MH to the dealer this time of the year it will take them forever and a day to fix it..... Thanks
Old 04-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Problem #2 My water pump has just started running ALL the time.... Is it time for a new pump? If so what is recommended? or can I just replace the diaphragm.....
LeeB
Repair parts are available for most RV water pumps.
Mel
'96 Safari, (148k miles with a 20 year old Shurflo water pump)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

That makes sense too, if your not finding a leak after a period of time unless its accumulating some place big, then it would make sense that the pump is just able to make the pressure to turn itself off. I would think that diaphragm sounds like a good place to look. If you have not taken the screen off the pump to clean and inspect it that may offer clues.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The leak has been fixed, I used a rubble coupling with Hose clamps on both ends I bought at ACE Hardware... The so called flex hose had a kink in it and over the years it split....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	124548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	124549  

Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Good job! Between the corrosion on the strap and the traces of mold I say you got to this leak just in time. The mold doesn't look too bad, a bleach/water solution should take care of it.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

May not be related to your problem, but, on my Journey, if I put the fresh water tank fill lever, into the fill position, and turn on the pump, the pump will run all the time. Just one more thing to check.

Pouring a bucket of water into the sink, to drain, without any water pressure in the supply lines, will tell you if the leak is in the drain line. If no leak with the bucket draining, then the leak is in the supply lines.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Another possible cause I have read elsewhere; If you have a single handle faucet or I suppose even a misrouted gate valve or someway that the water is recirculating in a the entire system could also be a cause for continuous pumping. As I said I read about a faulty single handle faucet with hot and cold water. The cold water was routing through the cold and backwards from hot. Sorry I don't recall all the details. I would think an easy way to check this would be to turn off or cap the valves at each fixture. It's a long shot, I'd probably replace the water pump as well, especially if it had some age on it.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My pump started to cycle every 5-6 seconds. Turned the fill/city water valave a few times and cycling quit. Valve didnt seat fully in the normal position so pump was cycling water back into the tank
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerjump View Post
My pump started to cycle every 5-6 seconds. Turned the fill/city water valave a few times and cycling quit. Valve didnt seat fully in the normal position so pump was cycling water back into the tank
Tried that today with no luck....

The pump just runs and runs..... It pumps water but never shuts off....

Tags
ems, leak, problems