Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

'06 Vectra and Extend-A-Stay obstacles

Hello all, I've searched thru and read just about every thread on the topic of adding an extend-a-stay solution in it's many possible formats, but feel like I'm simply missing something when it comes to getting one hooked up in my 2006 Vectra 40FD.

There are two problems I'm running into. Both feel like simple solutions, but before I go Macgyver'ing anything, I thought I check w/some experts.

Problem 1: The propane tank for the Vectra is in the belly of the rig and with the curbside LR slide out (tank DOESN'T move with it), I'd need much more than the 5 foot pigtail provided in the kits to get to my external propane tank (it's a 100lb and wouldn't fit inside behind the slide anyhow)

Problem 2: The fittings into the regulator appear to be 3/8" MIP, the connections on the Extend-A-Stay Tee are Male and Female POL, and I can't seem to locate cost effective adapters for both ends.

Has anyone else solved these problems with the vendor Extend-A-Stay systems (and on coach like the Vectra setup)?

I can come up with pics of this is anyone is really interested.

Thanks!

-Patrick
Old 11-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Seems I may have finally located the answer to question #1 above.

Just find a longer pigtail

In case anyone else finds this thread down the road, CAMCO makes a 12' version of the 5' pigtail in the kit:

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/Camco/CAM59035.html

Still looking for a decent adapter options ( 3/8" FIP x Female POL and Male POL by 3/8" FIP )....again, unless I'm missing something
Old 11-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have to wonder if you are placing the Extend-A-Stay in the right location.

So far as the pigtail you can go online or to a well stocked RV parts retail store and buy a different length than the 5 foot that came with the package you purchased. 12 foot is a common length available.

The Extend-A-Stay goes on the high pressure side on the flare fitting between the Propane Tank Outlet Valve and the Regulator Inlet. That is a standard size on every Manchester Propane Tank used on RVs that I have ever seen. The trick is having enough space to move the regulator over, and dealing with side effects of the outlet side of the regulator being moved over.

On a Vista, moving over the regulator would be too sharp a turn and will kink the flexible OEM hose that runs from the low pressure (10" water col) regulator outlet to the low pressure hard black pipe. To solve, I bought a 90 degree elbow that matched the regulator outlet size and type and put the 90 between the regulator outlet and the OEM flexible hose.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

My propane distributor made a custom hose and pigtail for mine.

PapaJ1952
2011 Sunova 33C
PapaJ1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
DLH

Here is a good video about a company that can help you out for propane items.
https://youtu.be/nITU1SWow2k
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

To come back and update this thread...

I was able to get it all hooked up, but for future finders of this thread and conundrum I ran into, my 2006 Vectra 40FD actually had 3/8 hose from the valve on the propane tank to 1/4 MIP into the regulator.

To get the new/old propane connectors on the Camco Extend-a-stay to connect, here are the parts used:

On the Extend-a-stay inlet side: (LASCO 17-5381 Male QCC-1 by 1/4-Inch Male Pipe Thread Brass Adapter) -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus a 1/4-in Threaded Coupling Fitting to connect the male to male 1/4 MIPs.

On the Extend-a-stay outlet side: (Mr. Heater 1/4-Inch Male Pipe Thread by Restricted Flow Soft Nose P.O.L fitting) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then, as mentioned before, the 12 foot pigtail to connect the external propane tank: (Camco 59035 12' Propane Supply Hose)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59035-P...4143245&sr=8-7

FWIW, I don't get any referral credit or kickbacks from Amazon for these...just where I got them