Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

'04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD, where are the sensors for black tank

Ladies and Gents,
We just got back from a 4 day camp trip with out new-to-us '04 Horizon 36GD. Long story short, our black tank was indicating "full" after only 3 days of camping and, TWO PEOPLE!!!! Now, we're both used to camping and conserving etc to make things stretch etc. We were used to our Bounder with a 100 gallon water tank and two 50 gallon holding tanks.

Even in a week long Thanksgiving trip, we'd only fill the black tank maybe, 1/2 way, and that's iffy. We only carry 80 gallons of fresh on this Itasca and a 52 gallon black and 48 gallon grey. Boy, does that make sense. More black then gray? Smart move Win/Itasca. Anyway, no one in our group could believe that it was actually full. I couldn't either. The grey indicated 2/3, the fresh indicated 1/3, and the black- FULL!!

Now, trying to reason things out here, the fresh is 80 to begin with and it was indicating 1/3 so, I'm thinking maybe 20+ left in the tank. The grey tank is a 48 gallon and indicating 2/3+ so, I'm thinking maybe 35+ in it. So, 20 + 35 = 55. At least it did when I went to school a couple of hundred years ago. 80-55 = 25. So, a 52 gallon black holding tank with around 25 in it is FULL? I don't think so.

Now, this question is primarily for 36GD Owners. The reason I say 36GD only is because layout of holding tanks may be different in other Itasca lengths. So, if the solids did some build up right where the drop is from the toilet, then that means the sensors must be in very close proximity to the drop. Hence, the "Full" reading when in fact it was most likely only about 1/3, at the most, full. Anyone got ideas?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, a Suncruiser owner here. But must say that our builds aren't that much diiferent. I can go almost a week dry camping without dumping my black tank. I usually have full hookups and try to use too much water in my black tank and I can still go four days with the two of us.

I will take a guess and say that your sensors are dirty. Next time out, put a little pinesol or dawn ( about a cup) into a third of a tank of black. Some folks even use a little water softner in with it. When you get to your campsite, dump as usual. After my tank has been dumped, I always run my black tank flush for 1 minute to start with a little water in the tank. Again this is only when hooked up. Do this a couple of times and I am sure your tank gages will start reading properly again.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hey FDChief,
Old Engineer here. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my situation. Well, here's what I did when we got home today. I drained both tanks, the black one first, as usual. Now, based on the fact that the black tank was supposed to be full, (I was pretty sure it wasn't) I suspected it should have taken quite a bit longer to drain, even with a 3.5 or 4" hose, what ever the drain hose size is.

But, in fact, it took maybe a whole 7-8 seconds to drain and then some residual. The gray one took longer than that. At the end of the black tank drain, I suspected I'd see a level indicator lighting up that wasn't supposed to and, it did. So, being that I've got a factory flush built into the system, I began flushing. I flushed for about a minute and it cleared all the sensors. But, I did it again. Only this time I did it for maybe say, about 5-6 minutes and that was with the garden hose on full. It took maybe about 8 minutes to turn on all the sensors, including the full one.

When I pulled the drain valve, it took about 20 seconds to completely drain the black tank. Now, that's what I call "full". And, when done draining, all the sensors were off except for the "Empty" one, on both tanks. So, I think I'm good on clean sensors. I didn't realize I can actually see the bottom of the tank, through the toilet valve. So, I can now visually check things as we're camping. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Glad it all worked out for you.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Fire Up,

To answer your original question, the sensors are on the driver side of the tank. You should be able to access them from your sewer compartment. The new TruLevel system works much better. You can get the new harness and monitor to convert your system for around $125.

I changed mine about 7 years ago and have not had any problems since.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Fire Up,

To answer your original question, the sensors are on the driver side of the tank. You should be able to access them from your sewer compartment. The new TruLevel system works much better. You can get the new harness and monitor to convert your system for around $125.

I changed mine about 7 years ago and have not had any problems since.
ernieh,
Well Sir, since the sensors are clear at the minute, and, I had virtually no problems with my Bounder ones because I flushed them regularly, I won't do the change over just yet. I surely appreciate the info though. As for accessing the sensors, I tried that while camping and the yahoos that built the coach didn't make it very easy to access them. Yes, I was in the sewer compartment, but, the panel was held on with screws all the way around except for one end, and that was spot welded so, removing just that little panel was not going to happen out there. I've got to remove half the sheet metal in that sewer compartment so I can see the sensors, maybe see them. Not sure. We'll see.
Scott
Old 05-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Can someone tell me how/where to access the gray water sensors on a 2005 Vectra? Gray water always shows only one green light at the bottom -- black water sensor works. Both the inside and basement water/sewer show the same.
sandan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandan100 View Post
Can someone tell me how/where to access the gray water sensors on a 2005 Vectra? Gray water always shows only one green light at the bottom -- black water sensor works. Both the inside and basement water/sewer show the same.
You may want to try some of this RV Digest-it

http://www.uniquedistributing.com/product_info.php?products_id=94

I'm using it in our motorhome--granted I'm a newbie, but it seems to work fine and the reviews seem most favorable. It has been reported that it cleans sensors.

Scott
Old 05-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I just reattached the black tank sensors on my 09 Journey. In my coach, the sensors are accessible from the driver's side. The black and large gray are behind the service panel and require the removal of the center and right portions of the panel The tanks run across the chassis and the sensors for my tanks are on the sides of the tanks -between the two tanks - just behind the tank fronts. Two of mine had fallen off and I used 3M red outdoor double-sided tape to reattach them. The second grey tank is aft of the rear axle above the electrical compartment and the sensors con be accessed through the top of the compartment. They are also mounted on the side of the tank.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks -- I'll check!
Danny
sandan100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, tank