Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Most of you with the "RV Radio" dash radio are probably aware that it has an auxillary input. It is two RCA phono plugs hanging out the rear of the radio. I happened to have an adapter that converted the RCA jacks to a mini stereo plug (don't remember the size, but it is the most common one.) Plugged that into the dangling phono jacks and ran the wire out the dash. Plugged it into my Roady2 (XM radio), set the radio switch to aux, and we're rockin'! It really sounds pretty good - in fact the QSurround isn't half-bad with this configuration (Far better than with the TV sound).
---------------------------
I found out talking to the King Dome folks at the FMCA convention in Perry that the King Dome can be easily converted to a two LNB setup. I wanted this for the DirecTV/Tivo box we are getting. By having two different inputs to the Tivo, you can watch one show while another records.

The kit was about 250$ and was pretty easy to install. There is a little box that gets mounted on the rear of the dish antenna (you have to take the cover off of the dome of course), add a couple of mini coaxes and that's it for the upstairs part of the job.

Downstairs was a little more work. You have to take the panel off where the King Dome control panel is mounted so you have access to the King Dome tuner. Another box gets installed and you add/change a couple of more coaxes. The hardest part by far was getting the coax from the new box to where the TV & sat receiver is. You cannot add the box to the end of the present sat receiver cable unfortunately. You must use the shortie coax that came with the kit to connect the new box to the King Dome tuner - then you run a new coax to where the sat receiver is. (now both feeds, old and new, to the sat receiver are originating from the new box)

Get out there and improve your coach!

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Most of you with the "RV Radio" dash radio are probably aware that it has an auxillary input. It is two RCA phono plugs hanging out the rear of the radio. I happened to have an adapter that converted the RCA jacks to a mini stereo plug (don't remember the size, but it is the most common one.) Plugged that into the dangling phono jacks and ran the wire out the dash. Plugged it into my Roady2 (XM radio), set the radio switch to aux, and we're rockin'! It really sounds pretty good - in fact the QSurround isn't half-bad with this configuration (Far better than with the TV sound).
---------------------------
I found out talking to the King Dome folks at the FMCA convention in Perry that the King Dome can be easily converted to a two LNB setup. I wanted this for the DirecTV/Tivo box we are getting. By having two different inputs to the Tivo, you can watch one show while another records.

The kit was about 250$ and was pretty easy to install. There is a little box that gets mounted on the rear of the dish antenna (you have to take the cover off of the dome of course), add a couple of mini coaxes and that's it for the upstairs part of the job.

Downstairs was a little more work. You have to take the panel off where the King Dome control panel is mounted so you have access to the King Dome tuner. Another box gets installed and you add/change a couple of more coaxes. The hardest part by far was getting the coax from the new box to where the TV & sat receiver is. You cannot add the box to the end of the present sat receiver cable unfortunately. You must use the shortie coax that came with the kit to connect the new box to the King Dome tuner - then you run a new coax to where the sat receiver is. (now both feeds, old and new, to the sat receiver are originating from the new box)

Get out there and improve your coach!

John

Old 06-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #3

John: Sounds like you're having a good time with your new toy. We don't have an interest in the XM so we bought an iPod and downloaded all of our CDs so now don't need to cary them. It will hold 7,500 tunes but I've never even heard that many in my 65 year lifetime. But it is working out as we can take anywhere and play through any FM radio system via wireless transmitter. We also at times just tune to the music channels on DirecTV as we have the TracStar in-motion system.
Oh....the toys one gathers.
By the way, we had a great visit to the factory, great folks there. We had two extra rows of tile set and what a difference it makes.
Best regards....
Old 06-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

John,

I installed my XM radio with the built-in wireless FM modulator. Is what you are describing a direct connection to the RV radio? If so, I assume you are using the cassette audio adapter input on the XM Radio cradle.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

John, when you turn on all the gizmo's on your new rig, all the lights within a 50 mile radius are going to dim....lol.

There is no end to the goodies we can add to these things!
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
John,

I installed my XM radio with the built-in wireless FM modulator. Is what you are describing a direct connection to the RV radio? If so, I assume you are using the cassette audio adapter input on the XM Radio cradle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Rex - No way Jose! We are directly wired from the XM radio to the aux input of the RV Radio. You can remove the two dash screws holding the passenger-side top dash panel and sort of lift/pry it up enough to reach the back of the RV Radio. There are two RCA-type phono jacks hanging out the back of the radio.

Get an adapter (L/R phono to subminiature stereo plug), plug it in to the RV Radio, run the wires out the gap in the dash panels, plug into the XM or Sirius, set the RV Radio mode to "AUX" and you're good to go!

Where would we be without the toys!!

Oh - we also use the music channels on the sat TV and I have been saving our CD collection to the Powerbook. Don't have an Ipod yet - can you believe it?

--John

Old 02-18-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Get an adapter (L/R phono to subminiature stereo plug), plug it in to the RV Radio, run the wires out the gap in the dash panels, plug into the XM or Sirius, set the RV Radio mode to "AUX" and you're good to go!
--John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

You state, "run the wires." Do you mean wire (singular?) I assume the adaptor goes from 2 wires to 1 wire. My Roady XT only has a 1 wire connection (the same one that's used for the cassette option.) In this case, I guess I'll have to make-up my own wire that goes from the adaptor to the base of the Roady XT. (?)

Dan
Old 02-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Dan - exactly.. you wind up with one cable to the Roady that consists of three conductors, ground, left, right.

If I remember correctly the adapter was RCA phono (left/right) to sub-mini stereo jack. From the jack you use a standard stereo cable with sub-mini STEREO plugs on each end.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
If I remember correctly the adapter was RCA phono (left/right) to sub-mini stereo jack. From the jack you use a standard stereo cable with sub-mini STEREO plugs on each end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

Thanks for the feedback :~) By chance, do you recall where you purchased the sub-mini STEREO plugs?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Dan - Rat Shack should have cables with plugs. You don't need to make them up.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

John,

Here ya go: http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=pierca