Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

XM radio

So we need some help and or suggestions. Our MH did not come with an XM antenna and the receiver module. I have the 10.5 infotainment system sold by river park. Where can I buy an XM antenna and receiver/module. Where would I have to mount the antenna and would any module connect to the radio module. Getting to the module (radio) means taking the entire center console apart. Any help from you DIYers would be a great help.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Consider using the AUX input on your infotainment system and getting a SiriusXM Onyx Plus. Everything you need - dash mount, antenna, etc. can be bought together in a kit.

It has more features and has a remote control so it is easier to change channels without having to reach over to the face plate of the Onyx Plus.

Other pro's are that you can move it to your toad by getting a Car #2 kit and can use it in your home ( if you have one ) with a Home kit.

Be sure to mount the antenna on the roof of the RV or Car or it won't be reliable.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Consider using the AUX input on your infotainment system and getting a SiriusXM Onyx Plus. Everything you need - dash mount, antenna, etc. can be bought together in a kit.

It has more features and has a remote control so it is easier to change channels without having to reach over to the face plate of the Onyx Plus.

Other pro's are that you can move it to your toad by getting a Car #2 kit and can use it in your home ( if you have one ) with a Home kit.

Be sure to mount the antenna on the roof of the RV or Car or it won't be reliable.
Is the antenna wireless - I really don't want to drill a hole in the roof.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

Hmm, I also have the Riverpark Infotainment Center. I didn't think it had the XM tuner either, but noticed it on my paperwork with the serial number inventory that it had it (Riverpark Radio Sat Receiver SXV100B). The Serial Number is your ID number to turn it on.

I found on mine the XM tuner had actually got unplugged behind the radio. Snapped it back in and the XM Icon lit up! All of the wires back there are well marked, and actually accessible by crawling on the floor up into the foot area.

If you aren't that lucky, the antenna on mine is installed up front over the drivers area on the front fiberglass area in front of the seal for the roof that joins the two. Access to get up there is real easy by removing the liner boards out of those forward cupboards. My picture cuts it off a bit, but here it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xm.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	127961  
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

> Is the antenna wireless - I really don't want to drill a hole in the roof.

There is no solution for Sirius XM Sat Radio with a wireless antenna. Sirius XM uses a small 1.5" square antenna about 0.5" thick with a cable about 25' long with a small connector on the end that connects to the sat module or the Onyx. The Sirius XM vehicle antenna has a magnet in it and will "stick" to a car or truck metal roof, but this does not help us RVers who don't have steel roofs on our RVs. Sat Radio is VERY high frequency and radio beam is line of sight, it HAS to be on the highest surface of the vehicle (roof) to work. It uses low earth orbit sats and the signal can be coming from low on the horizon at times. You can look on Wikipedia if you want more geek speak on it.

If you RV had the Sat option when built the antenna would be on top of the front cap of the roof and cable run in thru a hole big enough for the antenna connector to pass thru, then the antenna glued to the roof and the satellite cable hole sealed up with Dicor lap sealant. Antenna cable run generally is behind the winshield trim on one side or other and to the module or receiver. Might need an Sat Antenna extension cable (available as part of the Sirius XM product system) but most likely not.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I happen to have a photo of the roof of my 2015 Vista that shows the Winnebago OEM Sirius XM Sat Antenna installation. It's the black square in front of the solar panel that has all the sealant around it to stick it down and make sure the hole the antenna cable runs down thru does not leak.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have the Sirius/XM Onyx version and have my antenna on the top shelf inside the cabinet above the driver seat. It is on a metal shelf just inches from the fiberglass front cap. No problems with reception. You have to be a little creative to run the antenna wire so it is not too visible.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I loved the old XM but when Sirius bought them and then hired Howard Stern for $22 million a year and then raised the rates to pay for that pervert I dropped the service.

Sirius almost went bankrupt a couple of years ago because of the CEO's bad business decisions. I wish there was a good alternative. I will no longer support Sirius/XM.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm really surprised a 2014 Meridian didn't come prepped with a SAT antenna on the roof. If so, you can probably find the antenna cable behind the dash near the rear of the info center.

In any event, on a previous coach, and with an older XM plug & play system, I simply laid the small portable (magnetic) XM antenna on the front left dash along the windshield and it worked quite well w/o roof mounting.

For those that get the "CHECK ANTENNA" message...
We subscribe to Sirius XM on our 2016 Journey. The broadcast would come and go with the dreaded "CHECK ANTENNA" message. After many searches I finally located the small XM receiver box jammed and dangling among a tight cluster of wires behind the center console. I was able to access it by removing the console drawer. The antenna wire apparently kept vibrating out of the plug connector while driving. I was able to wrap a band of velcro tie-wrap around the connector which finally took care of the problem.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ok - I checked and I do have a SAT antenna on the roof. So how do I get the XM to work, is there a code or do I give XM my vin?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #11

First, does the XM icon light up on the display or is it dead gray? If dead gray, the satellite tuner in the back has become disconnected like mine.

If it lights up, go through the menu and find the ID. It will display on the screen. XM is a short set of characters, not like Sirius. If I was close to mine I would walk you through the menu.

If you cant find it there, the ID is the serial number of the "radio sat reciever" you got from Winnebago on that long list of all of your equipment with model numbers and serial numbers. I already had an account so I was able to activate it online and cancel my old one.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

FleetMan,

That is an excellent mounting location. Was that your idea or did Winnebago come up with it?

I hate putting more holes in my roof. My solution up until this point was to take the house XM radio and set it on the dash of the MH. We would just position the radio for best reception.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Gray icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
First, does the XM icon light up on the display or is it dead gray? If dead gray, the satellite tuner in the back has become disconnected like mine.

If it lights up, go through the menu and find the ID. It will display on the screen. XM is a short set of characters, not like Sirius. If I was close to mine I would walk you through the menu.

If you cant find it there, the ID is the serial number of the "radio sat reciever" you got from Winnebago on that long list of all of your equipment with model numbers and serial numbers. I already had an account so I was able to activate it online and cancel my old one.
Called River Park and they said either the antenna is not hooked up or it's a bad part. Part is on the way so when I tear everything apart (again) I can just add the new part. Thanks to all for chiming in!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #14

Awesome!

Tags
radio