Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just spent the last 3 days at Lazy Days in Tampa FL. I must say that the experience was better than I expected, I kept an open mind and had ample time to let them do the work. Here is the list and outcome.

Leaky fluid from HWH jacks and slides. Several loose fittings on the manifold.

Generator switch on main panel would not turn off generator. The switch was miswired.

Power management reading 30amp when connected to 50. Bad power management board.

Toilet and smoke detector fuse kept blowing. Loose screw on 12V buss to the breaker.

Shower head plumbing leak. Loose fitting, sealed with teflon tape and silicone.

Leaky windows (2). Removed and resealed windows.

Outside DVD player not working. Blown fuse behind unit.

Outside TV latch not working, cable from latch not connected. Another problem with one of those "locking rams". They had to remove the TV mount, adjust the cable, and reassemble.

Refrigerator not working on LP. The spark gap was tooo small. They also found the LP supply line was laying against the chimney. Rerouted the line.

Ice maker would not shut off with bar up. Replaced ice maker.

Ceiling light screws fell out, light was hanging by a thread. Installed longer screws.

Keyless entry intermittant. Drilled hole and ran out antenna wire.

Lots of other stuff. I must say that the guys at LD working on the coach Budd, Steve, and Kerry seemed to be very competant. They did a lot of work in a relatively short period of time.

I used to have a fairly high opinion about Winnebago quality. With all the problems with this coach I don't hold them high anymore.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just spent the last 3 days at Lazy Days in Tampa FL. I must say that the experience was better than I expected, I kept an open mind and had ample time to let them do the work. Here is the list and outcome.

Leaky fluid from HWH jacks and slides. Several loose fittings on the manifold.

Generator switch on main panel would not turn off generator. The switch was miswired.

Power management reading 30amp when connected to 50. Bad power management board.

Toilet and smoke detector fuse kept blowing. Loose screw on 12V buss to the breaker.

Shower head plumbing leak. Loose fitting, sealed with teflon tape and silicone.

Leaky windows (2). Removed and resealed windows.

Outside DVD player not working. Blown fuse behind unit.

Outside TV latch not working, cable from latch not connected. Another problem with one of those "locking rams". They had to remove the TV mount, adjust the cable, and reassemble.

Refrigerator not working on LP. The spark gap was tooo small. They also found the LP supply line was laying against the chimney. Rerouted the line.

Ice maker would not shut off with bar up. Replaced ice maker.

Ceiling light screws fell out, light was hanging by a thread. Installed longer screws.

Keyless entry intermittant. Drilled hole and ran out antenna wire.

Lots of other stuff. I must say that the guys at LD working on the coach Budd, Steve, and Kerry seemed to be very competant. They did a lot of work in a relatively short period of time.

I used to have a fairly high opinion about Winnebago quality. With all the problems with this coach I don't hold them high anymore.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Glad to hear that LD took care of you in fine fashion.

Every manufacturer seems to have bugs in their coaches. Someone mentioned that they had been lurking on the Newmar forum and they too were having problems. It took about a year to get the bugs worked out of my coach and now its a fine piece of machinery.

Think about all the systems and details in a Moho and at least none of your problems were super uber problems. Good Miles and Enjoy
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had few assembly-line worker induced problems myself. Silly stuff, things that could easily have been avoided; like a misaligned basement door strut where the strut housing seriously rubbed on the neighbor door.

It is difficult to reconcile or excuse something as obvious as a gen start/stop switch miswired. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) should have been operated/tested at the ship-out department.

It sure sounds like you got a 'great' mixture of bum things innstalled in one place. Once you get all of the issues resolved, you can start enjoying the coach. Based on your success with LD's service, I might have them work on my slide leak.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It's taken me more then 2 years to get the bugs out of our 03 Journey DL. Upon the first delivery attempt by the dealer, I sent him back with a legal page full and the coach was only on our property 4 hours. The second delivery attempt wasn't much better, because when He drove in our driveway the driverside mirror was hanging about to fall off. Even back then, it's amazing the number of little things that needed fixing. It was a wonder to my wife and I, what did the production people actually do and why did they do such a poor work?

In the days ahead, I'll compose a list of all the things that had to be fixed after we received the coach. You might be surprised, but now that we owned this Winnebago product and heard stories for many a others, it doesn't surprise us.

Have you heard a phrase "the solution to polution, is delution". Well, "I think Winnebago's Philosophy to their quanity ratings, is high production numbers will delute their poor quality workmanship rating". Maybe if they weren't so interested in high production numbers, they could generate more time to quality engineering and quality control. It doesn't take rocket engineers and scientists to build this coaches, it just takes people who are committed to quality workmanship and producing quality producta; which will lead to a true customer satisfaction rating.

Radarr
Old 10-25-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

If thats all that goes bad you will be very fortunate. Give it a few years.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Resqguy, Sorry to hear about your problems with your Winnebago. The thing that I think of is why didn't the dealer find these problems before delivery. Many owners blame winnebago when in fact it is the components that fail. Most manufacturers use the same appliances and jack systems etc. It should all work from the factory but we all know by the time it gets to the dealer and sits on the lot there is going to be problems. It is the dealer who should find these problems and correct them before delivery. Also the systems should be demonstrated during the delivey and if they dont work or leak you have them fixed. I do know that not everything is going to be caught but the list should be minimal. Find a dealer that takes care of your delivery, doesn't just push problems down the line. Hope things work out for you.
rvcorral2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Since posting this a few things have become unfixed.

The keyless entry quit working. I only use the key fob and never tried the key pad.

The main slide window didn't hold up well when rain from Wilma came through. Water poured in along the bottom of the window.

I have another appointment in two weeks.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

resqguy,

You might as well make camp there, the fun has just begun. Isn't is amazing the amount of inconvenience we have to go through owning these products? I can't think any other industry today, that will but the customer through so much horse paddy.

Make sure you get a copy of all the work orders for the work you had done, because they'll denie everything once your warranty expries and they won't give you copies of work orders. They just tell you, "you warranty has run out". Been there, been told that.

Radarr

no more winnebagos for us
Old 10-27-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We all have had that feeling of" man what have I gotten myself into "! When we bought our Itasca in 03 the salesman said, on my first departure in our new Horizon... "I will see you soon" and I now understand that he meant exactly that. The list of items both major and minor has been extensive and required some long repair visits to correct. Here the value of a good dealer is more important than we ever expected. Everything from the generator to the rear A/C duct work has been fixed by Suncoast and covered by Winnebago. I believe the dealers shop stay busy with warranty work and take in owner paid repairs as a sideline. Everyone says that these are complicated machines, I do not buy that at all. There is nothing in the manufacturing of a MH that is all that complicated. I often wonder how much they think they are saving by allowing a poorly built product to be built. Does it really cost more to do it right the first time?,vs paying the dealer to repair it later ? Unless this is the "real side game" and the dealer makes a lot of $$ when times are slow. HMMM . Oh well everyone has got to eat... I hope you can endure and get you Mh the way it should have been when you bought it. Good luck ! oH-one out
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote