Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago IR system

Greetings -
On a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F, the IR system does not seem to be functional. I've cycled power on it a few times.

Any debugging tips? I'm really not sure how the thing is supposed to work.

thanks,
Jerald Pendleton
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm not sure what an 'IR' system is, IR usually stands for Infrared but I don't know what it controls on your RV. Since it's a 2015 model, I'd contact Winnebago or your dealer's service department first, while still under warranty.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

jrpend, Looks like you have a IR receiver mounted under the TV and 2 transmitters one for the DVD player and one of the Satellite receiver.
First check that the transmitters are mounted to the DVD player and Sat receiver. They are just stuck on a can fall off.
I think the receiver unit mounted to the TV requires power make sure it is has power.
The other piece involved is the Matrix system. The IR receiver is plugged in the Matrix Balun under the TV and the IR transmitters are plugged to the Matrix 4X4 unit in the overhead.
I assume you are getting the TV picture OK.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you! I see some references on the web to devices manufactured by CAT5. I discovered last night that the problem is limited to just the main TV - the bedroom TV seems to be working just fine.

Now just to have to find this BALUN....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
jrpend, Looks like you have a IR receiver mounted under the TV and 2 transmitters one for the DVD player and one of the Satellite receiver.
First check that the transmitters are mounted to the DVD player and Sat receiver. They are just stuck on a can fall off.
I think the receiver unit mounted to the TV requires power make sure it is has power.
The other piece involved is the Matrix system. The IR receiver is plugged in the Matrix Balun under the TV and the IR transmitters are plugged to the Matrix 4X4 unit in the overhead.
I assume you are getting the TV picture OK.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

jrpend, The Balun for the living rm tv is in the cabinet below and to the right of the tv. It is used to select which HDMI input you wish to see DVD or Sat.
When you fine the Balun the IR receiver under the TV should be plugged in the bacK of the Balun.
Here is a link to the manual.
http://downloads.monoprice.com/files...ual_110902.pdf
Old 05-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpend View Post
Greetings -
On a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F, the IR system does not seem to be functional. I've cycled power on it a few times.

Any debugging tips? I'm really not sure how the thing is supposed to work.

thanks,
Jerald Pendleton
Hello Jerald -- Funny you ask. I have a 38Q with the same Matrix 4X4 in my coach. This weekend, I was unable to get two of my three TV to work with the IR. I called the dealer and they told me the system is simple and either works or doesn't work. The technician I talked with told me the Matrix units are not very reliable and they are periodically replacing them. Yes, I know, your's is new. So is mine. Mine has lasted since October. I read reviews against this unit and there are several complaints about reliability of the IR system in these Matrix units.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Dfreiberger Below is a good drawings showing how the devices are connected. On some models the main TV is connected directly to the Matrix switch. Check the IR transmitters and make sure they are in place. I have had to cycle the power on my Matrix switch a few times but other than that it has worked good. How warm is it were the Matrix switch is setting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Matrix 4x4 connection.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	94031  
Old 05-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Coome on guys don't get too technical. The first question is? Does you get a Blue or red flash of light near the TV when you point the remote at the TV attempting to change channels? IF yes then check to see exactly where the little stick on transmtters are located at/on/or near the SAT Box and or DVD. If NO then make sure the IR box is plugged in and on.
One step at a time and oh yeah, READ the Manual. and if that doesn't work then Read the manual AGAIN. Not the short version of the operating instructions but the MANUAL
Then ask us for help
Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Cool IR systems?

ok for us new guys please explain a bit clearer at first, so an IR IS an infrared remote controlled entertainment center/ TV? I have a 33C with the TV that comes up out of the credenza but the DVD and amp etc is over the passenger seat up in a cabinet..i DO have a blue light that flashes in the credenza when I use the TV remote.. is THAT the IR? I took out most of the DVD and amp and built in a Blue Ray and Yamaha Surround. The Junk that came with this new coach wouldn't play Blue Ray or hi def so IN THE HARBOR IT WENT! insane big difference!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:34 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotseer View Post
ok for us new guys please explain a bit clearer at first, so an IR IS an infrared remote controlled entertainment center/ TV? I have a 33C with the TV that comes up out of the credenza but the DVD and amp etc is over the passenger seat up in a cabinet..i DO have a blue light that flashes in the credenza when I use the TV remote.. is THAT the IR? I took out most of the DVD and amp and built in a Blue Ray and Yamaha Surround. The Junk that came with this new coach wouldn't play Blue Ray or hi def so IN THE HARBOR IT WENT! insane big difference!
According to the drawings, yes you should have an IR setup. The blue light is on the front of the credensa to the left of the table. The other ends should be some thin wires hanging in the area of the DVD player and SAT RCVR box. You should get a flash (Blue flash) from the RCVR light when you use your remote. The Transmit side has to be near the IR input of the thing you are triing to control; SAT Box\DVD
Old 05-12-2015, 05:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Coome on guys don't get too technical. The first question is? Does you get a Blue or red flash of light near the TV when you point the remote at the TV attempting to change channels? IF yes then check to see exactly where the little stick on transmtters are located at/on/or near the SAT Box and or DVD. If NO then make sure the IR box is plugged in and on.
One step at a time and oh yeah, READ the Manual. and if that doesn't work then Read the manual AGAIN. Not the short version of the operating instructions but the MANUAL
Then ask us for help
Supergewel - Do you mean the three page manual with the simple diagram that shows how the system is to be wired? Oh, that book which gives you no troubleshooting tips.

Lets see. The system was installed by Winnebago and has never been touched. When I power the Matrix, all lights come on and are red until I select a device (TV). then the light turns blue. I receive satellite picture and audio; no problem. Same for all three TVs.

The I/R Sensor is attached directly over the I/R input on the DirectTV Receiver and works just fine for the living room TV.

I/R sensors are attached on bottom of TVs and the transmitters are powered on with selection 2 lit (represents SAT 1 connection on Matrix). TVs work fine, just no I/R to bedroom or outside. When I aim the remote directly at the I/R sensor, I do not see any flickering or flashing at the transmitters mounted by the TVs.

I have done nothing with the system and it worked just fine two trips ago.

If you no of a better manual then the one that came with my coach, then please share.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Very intermittent

I'm not terrible impressed with this PACE 4x4 Matrix - my system is very intermittent and needs to be power cycled quite a bit. But it is not all the IR systems fault.

I've starting running the entertainment system with the hatch to it open (while parked of course) and even with the direct access to the devices through the open hatch, they are problematic. I've read elsewhere that the IR systems of the Dish VP211Z and the Apple TV are affected by the backlight from the SAMSUNG built in TV

I think that is part of it, I also think I am getting some interference from the 4x4Matrix itself since the devices seem to work better *without* the little sticky transmitter on the front.

There appears to be many variables which makes it difficult to debug. And that cabinet does get very hot in the sun sometimes.

It is a nice concept, but the execution is lacking a bit.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpend View Post
I'm not terrible impressed with this PACE 4x4 Matrix - my system is very intermittent and needs to be power cycled quite a bit. But it is not all the IR systems fault.

I've starting running the entertainment system with the hatch to it open (while parked of course) and even with the direct access to the devices through the open hatch, they are problematic. I've read elsewhere that the IR systems of the Dish VP211Z and the Apple TV are affected by the backlight from the SAMSUNG built in TV

I think that is part of it, I also think I am getting some interference from the 4x4Matrix itself since the devices seem to work better *without* the little sticky transmitter on the front.

There appears to be many variables which makes it difficult to debug. And that cabinet does get very hot in the sun sometimes.

It is a nice concept, but the execution is lacking a bit.
I talked with my electronics tech at my dealer and he mentioned they replace a lot of these Matrix. He said Winnebago was looking to replace these with a better make. He also said the bay gets hot, not only from the electronics, but the sun hitting the outside. What he has done a few times on other rigs was to remove the electronics, the rack, and the trim inerior behind and stuff it with insulations. He also installs a small fan in the compartment to draw the eat out.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
I talked with my electronics tech at my dealer and he mentioned they replace a lot of these Matrix. He said Winnebago was looking to replace these with a better make. He also said the bay gets hot, not only from the electronics, but the sun hitting the outside. What he has done a few times on other rigs was to remove the electronics, the rack, and the trim inerior behind and stuff it with insulations. He also installs a small fan in the compartment to draw the eat out.
OK now that we have some more info I still need even ore info. Fill in your signature with your MH info. Each model has different setups. Your system may not even have the capability to change channels from the bedroom on the SAT. My system has to have 2 SAT boxes, one in the bedroom and one in the living room for that TV.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
OK now that we have some more info I still need even ore info. Fill in your signature with your MH info. Each model has different setups. Your system may not even have the capability to change channels from the bedroom on the SAT. My system has to have 2 SAT boxes, one in the bedroom and one in the living room for that TV.
Not sure I understand "fill in your signature". My serial number is Ser# 10J89T182896. I have three tvs; livingroom, bedroom, outside. All have I/R capability. I have a single Sat box connected into the Matrix by the dealer. I have no problems with sat signal to the TVs, only I/R to the bedroom and outside. Pace International sent me a larger power supply for the Matrix to see if that will help. They said that the smaller power supplies potentially being week could cause the Matrix to act up. If this does not fix my problem, then they are going to send me a replacement matrix.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Dfreiberger, go the the bar just under irv2 Forums and click on User CP then go to Edit Signature.
Create a signature with the info about your coach and toad.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Dfreiberger, go the the bar just under irv2 Forums and click on User CP then go to Edit Signature.
Create a signature with the info about your coach and toad.
Done. Thanks
Old 05-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

O.P,

I wonder if there might be a flourescent fixture, defective or incompatible l.e.d. nearby or some other interfering device sitting near or in the same room with the i.r. that you are having trouble with?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
O.P,

I wonder if there might be a flourescent fixture, defective or incompatible l.e.d. nearby or some other interfering device sitting near or in the same room with the i.r. that you are having trouble with?
For the bedroom TV, I have tried it in a dark bedroom. As far as the outside TV, I tried a night in the dark as well. No luck. What I did do though was I took the known good TV I/R in the living room and switch it with the bedroom I/R and the problem followed the I/R; meaning I went into the bedroom and was able to change the livingroom TV. Then I tried to change the bedroom TV from the Livingroom I/R with no luck. This isolated the problem to the Matrix.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

So did you take the I.R. plus the reciever and swap locations or was it just one or the other?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago