Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago GPS

Recentlly on the roof of my 2005 Winnebago Journey 34H .
I found a square grey plastic box with a cut wire .
Naturally I removed it to find out it is a GPS antenna .
This led me to say to myself , what GPS ?
Looking into Winnebago wireing diagram book I came up with this ~~ http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_148549.pdf
It seems to me something is missing in the overhead compartment .
Can any one furnish a picture of the missing component.
Or information on how this should work in conjunction with the dash mounted monitor ?
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It may be the GPS antenna for a TV satellite dish originally installed by Winnebago. My 06 Journey had a Winegard AS-2003 installed and it used that gray antenna to aim the satellite.

Many owners of that dish replaced it as it generally flopped in the wind and no repair parts have existed for it for years. In my case, I installed an HD Winegard SK-3005 in May of 2010 and never looked back.

However, in looking at your wiring diagram, it appears to sync up with a docking station of some kind that was used to overlay a GPS - navigation system view on your back up monitor. Perhaps there was a road based GPS device that has been removed. Interestingly, a footnote in the wiring diagram says that the docking station must be aimed directly straight ahead to function properly.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I do have a Wineguard satellite up there that does not work , it grunts and mones when the switch is on .
Some day Ill check that out . I do have the literature on it .It does have a fiberglass cover over it and the decal is weathered . Its last in my bicket list of things to do .
But a GPS well thats a nice feature to have . It sure may be better than a Tom Tom stuck to the dash
Old 03-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My '04 Vectra came with a Winnebago-installed GPS system. Your Product Brochure lists it as an option. The system was from Alpine as I recall, is no longer available and the last maps were from the '04 or '05 era. It was a CD/DVD based system. On my coach the player was up in the overhead cabinet above the driver, and there was a dedicated GPS monitor on the dash. When mine died, I simply replaced the dash monitor with a newer GPS system and removed the player from the cabinet. It could be the same in yours. Does it appear that somewhere on your dash you might have screw holes from where a monitor bracket was once mounted?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/anyo...it-170583.html
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for that , and the link to our good friend Scott !
The answer to your question . No I do not have a second monitor or any traces of there ever being one .
Above the driver in the compartment there is only a wall plate way up front with two CoAx cables extending . I do know the previous owner used Dish or direct , as there are 2 dishes on tri pods in the lower compartment Also in the spare parts bin there is a switch that must connect to the 2 coax cables to go from Satellite to air .
I have looked through all the papers that came with the coach . here is no mention of GPS ? Why then is there that antenna i removed from the roof ?
Now on to the Satellite itself . Yes it must be an original from the condition of the rotted coax on the roof . Here is literature i have on the build sheet and the satellite.
Maybe someone will see something I don't , and be able to explain the mysterious GPS antenna ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-001.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	156751   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	156752  

Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Option 78K, which is on your build sheet, was the same option number I had on my 2006 Journey and it was for the old Winegard AS-2003 satellite which used that GPS antenna. One of the earlier owners probably removed the AS-2003 and installed the unit that is there now.

If you download the full wiring diagram book for your coach (not the link above, but for the 2005 Journey indicated on the build sheet: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...0167474043.pdf, the roof diagram on page 59 shows the location of the automatic satellite and its associated GPS antenna and indicates it is part of option 78K.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I tend to agree with you on that ! It seems to have been replaced ( see envelope )
And on another note what is this box? Located in the over head , passenger side . The power wires are un plugged . I cant find anything on google about it . Looking at the build sheet , it appears to me the TV's were a factory or dealer upgrade also. As the install is very neat . Which leads me to another concern . In the bedroom , the radio was unplugged .
I plugged the radio in and it worked . But when I watch the TV in the bedroom . And change the channel . The radio turns on . So now its un plugged again . Any thoughts on where to look to correct that ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	156779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	156780  

Old 04-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That is your control box for the infrared receiver system. It originally allowed you to use your TV/VCR remote controls back in the bedroom and in the living room to control the tv, vcd, satellite control box, etc as originally wired in your coach by pointing it at one of the "black buttons" mounted in the coach. For instance on my coach, I have one of the black buttons mounted on the cabinet front just under the bedroom TV. There were small little "bulbs" mounted on wires that where positioned in front of the IR spot on the DVD/VCR, Satellite controller box, etc. which allowed you to control them all with one remote from the front or back of the coach.

Not sure why it was working the radio in the back. Some people have disconnected the radio in the back because the lighted dial bothered them at night and others had problems with the radio randomly turning on. Mine has been fine, I just cover the lighted dial up with a book at night.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

The GPS industry has made great strides and the newer units with built in antennas are much more sensitive than they were 11 years ago. And they are much more intuitive and easier to use then some of those produced for automobiles (RV's included) years ago. Some of them were almost impossible to figure out how to use without the manual open on your lap while driving!

So, if you can't get the GPS system that came with your RV for very few bucks, you'd probably be better off with a newer unit. IMO.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWHTRAINS View Post
That is your control box for the infrared receiver system. It originally allowed you to use your TV/VCR remote controls back in the bedroom and in the living room to control the tv, vcd, satellite control box, etc as originally wired in your coach by pointing it at one of the "black buttons" mounted in the coach. For instance on my coach, I have one of the black buttons mounted on the cabinet front just under the bedroom TV. There were small little "bulbs" mounted on wires that where positioned in front of the IR spot on the DVD/VCR, Satellite controller box, etc. which allowed you to control them all with one remote from the front or back of the coach.

Not sure why it was working the radio in the back. Some people have disconnected the radio in the back because the lighted dial bothered them at night and others had problems with the radio randomly turning on. Mine has been fine, I just cover the lighted dial up with a book at night.

I guess thats why the control box had no power going to it .
I will look for those black buttons you speak of . But dont think i'll find them .

Also as you say the bedroom radio randomly turns on . When I change a TV channel I guess I'm not alone on that Thanks !
Old 04-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Page 104, Detail CE of your wiring book shows what each of the two wires on emitters one and two were originally intended to operate. In your photo the two are attached to the box, just need to trace wires to where they end and you should be able to find the end with the emitter bulbs that will pass the IR signal to the DVD/VCR (passenger side cabinet) and to the Satellite receiver (driver's side cabinet) and locate them to operate what ever is there now. The input side of the IR box is coming from your bedroom TV and appears to still be connected to the box as well. It is shown on page 55 of the wiring diagrams, from the drawing it appears to be located somewhere near/on the TV, underneath - I can't really make out exactly where it is.

See Footnote 8 (Triangle with number 8 in it) on page 103 and you can see what the other end of the cable looks like and where it was originally installed on the DVD/VCR unit.

On page 103 you can see the original Winnegard Satellite controller box (Satellite switch, Detail BF. Mine is about 4 inches square and white and was next to the box of many buttons (switching buttons box).
Old 04-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWHTRAINS View Post
Page 104, Detail CE of your wiring book shows what each of the two wires on emitters one and two were originally intended to operate. In your photo the two are attached to the box, just need to trace wires to where they end and you should be able to find the end with the emitter bulbs that will pass the IR signal to the DVD/VCR (passenger side cabinet) and to the Satellite receiver (driver's side cabinet) and locate them to operate what ever is there now. The input side of the IR box is coming from your bedroom TV and appears to still be connected to the box as well. It is shown on page 55 of the wiring diagrams, from the drawing it appears to be located somewhere near/on the TV, underneath - I can't really make out exactly where it is.

See Footnote 8 (Triangle with number 8 in it) on page 103 and you can see what the other end of the cable looks like and where it was originally installed on the DVD/VCR unit.

On page 103 you can see the original Winnegard Satellite controller box (Satellite switch, Detail BF. Mine is about 4 inches square and white and was next to the box of many buttons (switching buttons box).
Again I thank you for that valuable information. You speak of my wireing book . Being the second owner , I have all the documents / manuals .
Can you be more clear on that or is it something I get from on line ?

I did try to follow those 2 plug in wires . It was hard to follow as they seem to go into the overhead area of the front TV enclosure .

Ill look some more and take pictures as Im curious to know. Although I see no need to change a channel, ect from the opposite end of the coach
But in the near future I would like to have the video and audio working properlly

That being said . The base speaker located below the refrigerator . And the anp located to the left of the drivers feet under the cappet below the base speaker. Are other items i would like to know more about because at present I don't hear anything out of the speaker below the fridge . Is that speaker a base speaker for the bedroom radio ? My 4 pod speakers . 2 in front and 2 in back near kitchen and the base near drivers feet all work when the dash radio is on .
Old 04-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The link to the Winnebago .pdf in post 6 is a link to the complete set of wiring diagrams for the Winnebago parts of your coach. I downloaded the same set (but for my coach) and store it on a computer and also printed out a set to carry in the motorhome. Winnebago does not provide those diagrams with all the manuals, but posts them on their site for owners to use. They also have complete plumbing diagrams on their site as well for your coach.

The speaker by the driver's seat and and one under the refrigerator were originally wired to work with the surround sound system powered thru the factory installed DVD/VCR unit. I am not sure if these two "woofer type" speakers located at floor level also work with the radio.

As originally installed, the old Sony TV had wires connected to each of the tabs on the TV's two internal speakers on one end and the other end of those wires was connected to an input on the back of the Sony combo DVD/VCR player which served as the amplifier for the surround sound system.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Its going to take me some time to fully understand these wirei diagrams , I sure wish they were in colors as its a pita to read all yellow .
I did make some ground in finding one of the emitters so far
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4050638.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	157072   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4050640.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	157073