Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Creativepart: What type of data user are you? (Average or above average or business class/user? ...No kids playing games either I expect? ...Do you watch TV over the WiFi?)
We have two iphones, 2-iPads and 2-Roku devices in the RV. The data intensive thing is TV streaming and we use 300 to 450 gbs per month when we are away for a month or more.

Quote:
==> And the limitations in a home are weak signal strength due to range, wall obstructions, and band width.
You RV is so small and permiable that you do not have any Wifi range issues. Even outdoors in the area around your RV.

Quote:
* Your mobile LTE-4G-Router uses Mu-MiMo technology to receive & transmit both cell phone hotspot signals and WiFi Hot Spot signals; and the number of MiMo antennas determines the range, number of bands used, and maximum data rate to your computer or your streaming device.
Yes, but the main concern is the cellular broadband device. It's MiMo (multiple in/multiple out) antenna is for the cell broadband modem. You have separate internal WiFi antennas but they are not an issue because of what I said above.

When using Wifi as WAN to pickup campground wifi that's when your router's wifi antenna's will matter. But there are two things about this... first is, most campgrounds have improved their access point locations so it's pretty easy to pickup good signal, BUT the wifi they provide is generally bandwidth and capacity limited and not all that good. I'd say 25% of the time we find decent "streamable" campground wifi. The rest of the time we use our cellular broad band.

About the routers you linked to. I gave them a quick look and as best as I can see, none of them are mobile routers and none of them have Wifi as WAN capabilities.

Same for the USB WiFi antenna on a laptop. You'll be connecting every device inside your RV to the WiFi router inside the RV. You'll have full speed and full signal strength with your built in antennas.

In all the time I've been using this gear in my RV I've never not been able to get a good wifi signal to any device in the RV, nor had any issue picking up a strong wifi signal from the campground. The only issue is getting a full strength low noise broadband signal to my Nighthawk or Jetpack device from a nearby cell tower.

This is not like using your home router. The conditions and usage are different from home use.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #22

Creativepart:

* When the router is labelled 4G-LTE-Router, doesn't that mean it will connect to a cell phone provider (per the Sim Card used)?

* And just to re-confirm: Those 2-wire (T90) antennas one can connect to a 4-G-LTE-Router... they only provide antenna gain to the WiFi data Hot Spot side of the router, right? I.e., adding a WiFi antenna is not for cell phone phone data down loads, right?

* When you have a WeBoost antenna, will that help your 4G-LTE-Router connect for cell phone service? ...And will it take a 2-bar connection and boost it up to 3 or 4 bars? ...Presumably to get more data download speed?

Thanks for sharing a person will need 300/400+ GB/month if you stream TV or movies! WOW. I had no idea. No I understand why you are so happy to have a grandfathered-in unlimited data plan.

I'm checking into Verizon's Visible Services, but I'm not sure if there $40/mo unlimited plan is for hotspots or just cell phones? (TBD)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Creativepar:
I'm checking into Verizon's Visible Services, but I'm not sure if there $40/mo unlimited plan is for hotspots or just cell phones? (TBD)
I know it's tough to take in long posts. Here's where I addressed that:

Quote:
It's intended to only be used in a phone set up as a hotspot. Many buy a cheap Android phone and dedicate it for RV Data use only. They connect the phone to a Wifi Ranger router and that's their cellular broadband. However, recently they have stopped enforcing that and you can move the SIM card from the phone to a MiFi device and use it that way.

It's a pre-paid plan, meaning you have to pay for it monthly in advance. Some try to pay only when they're going camping. Other's just pay for it every month so it's always available.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
* And just to re-confirm: Those 2-wire (T90) antennas one can connect to a 4-G-LTE-Router... they only provide antenna gain to the WiFi data Hot Spot side of the router, right? I.e., adding a WiFi antenna is not for cell phone phone data down loads, right?
They are TS-9 inputs and they are only for the Cellular. The wifi antennas are built inside the unit. They work fine. You don't need more Wifi antenna.

The 4X4 Mimo Cell antennas inside the Nighthawk work fine too. Most of the time that's all you need. But for $40 you can get an external mimo antenna with suction cups that sticks to your window up front and it works as well as a booster to increase reach.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
When you have a WeBoost antenna, will that help your 4G-LTE-Router connect for cell phone service? ...And will it take a 2-bar connection and boost it up to 3 or 4 bars? ...Presumably to get more data download speed?
Here's the thing. The Cell booster has an antenna on the roof and an antenna on the inside of the RV with a amplifier in between the two antennas. The rooftop antenna is picking up cell signals and the one in the RV is broadcasting cell signal.

If the indoor antenna is really strong it will create a kind of "echo" between the two antennas. Which will create a feedback situation - the official term is oscillation. Kind of like a microphone feeding back into a speaker.

So, the inside antenna is purposefully low powered and that limits it's broadcasting range inside the RV.

The booster companies like to say it works up to 2 or 3 feet all around the indoor antenna. Or they say it boosts the signal throughout your RV. Neither of which is true. I find it boosts signal within a foot of the indoor antenna. It may be helping further out, but only a little and not so as you'd notice.

So you have to choose. Do you want the booster to boost the signal for your broadband hotspots or your phone for phone calls?

The simple answer is to put your broadband mifi devices within inches away of the indoor antenna and maximize your internet access. Then turn your phone on wifi calling and all is good.

Don't forget. You only need a booster a limited number of places you visit. We have two places we visit often. There is no cellular service at those places without the booster. But with the booster I can stream TV.

When I first got the Weboost I thought it was great. But cell service kept improving everywhere we went and it became less and less important. Now, it's just an occasional benefit. So, don't think it's going to work miracles.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

OP Responds

OP here. Wow. You all came to my rescue regarding my new Winegard roof top system and how it can help me get TV and internet. Thanks very much for all these great thoughts and for taking the time to really think this out for me and write all these posts. Your input is awesome. Now to put it to the test.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

This thread transitioned to a lot of questions and good info on getting true unlimited data. Just to close the loop on the original question about getting 4g to work on the Connect2...

It comes with a Sim card already installed and it is on their cellular plan. We have a Verizon plan for mobile phones, so I went to my Verizon wireless store and added the Winegard device. Take the owner manual with all your ID numbers printed on it. You will need some of those to get the device attached to the new sim card. It is fairly simple to replace the original sim card with your new one. You do have to go up on the roof to the device. Remove one screw, take off the plate and switch the sim cards.

With the Winegard mobile app, it is fairly easy to switch between the cellular service and a campground wifi service. The Connect2 serves as a wifi router for your unit and the immediate surroundings. The fact that the antenna is on the roof provides moderately better reception on both wifi and cellular in my experience.

My issue with Verizon is that you can buy a true unlimited plan for your mobile phone, but then it cannot be used as a hotspot. And you cannot buy a true unlimited plan for a device like the Winegard - 16 GB per month is the max. So I'm going to dig deep into the other responses to this post to try to find a better data solution.

Tags
install