Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield shade

Hello, I have a 17 vista lx 35b. I'm wondering if any of you have added an exterior windshield cover? The night shade and side window curtains don't keep all the light/heat out and keeps the front warm. Tia
Grimmy3290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #2

The MCD shades have for the longest time been the "gold standard" for privacy and to a much lessor extent thermal protection.

I have them, but never use them. The previous owner bought them the year before he sold the RV, so they still look new.

I thing the privacy part is nice, but if you want thermal protection, I think the cheapest and best way to do this to go to HD or Lowe's and buy a roll of "shinny bubble thermal barrier stuff" and cut it to fit your window.

Obviously, I don't know the proper name for this large sun screen, but for ~$50 you will have a blackout shade and good thermal protection.

Note: You will have to find a place to store this super large sun screen, but maybe it will fit under you bed?

Please send pictures if you go this route so other people know they can reduce the heat inside their RV by -5F to -10F depending on the amount of direct sun your front windshield gets.

Likewise, this is the stuff you want on your windows if you are full-timing in freezing weather.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
yup. Magneshade. https://magneshade.com
cuts down 90%+ of the radiated heat.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
The MCD shades have for the longest time been the "gold standard" for privacy and to a much lessor extent thermal protection.

I have them, but never use them. The previous owner bought them the year before he sold the RV, so they still look new.

I thing the privacy part is nice, but if you want thermal protection, I think the cheapest and best way to do this to go to HD or Lowe's and buy a roll of "shinny bubble thermal barrier stuff" and cut it to fit your window.

Obviously, I don't know the proper name for this large sun screen, but for ~$50 you will have a blackout shade and good thermal protection.

Note: You will have to find a place to store this super large sun screen, but maybe it will fit under you bed?

Please send pictures if you go this route so other people know they can reduce the heat inside their RV by -5F to -10F depending on the amount of direct sun your front windshield gets.

Likewise, this is the stuff you want on your windows if you are full-timing in freezing weather.
we used that method for many years when we wintered in AZ but we tired of the perpetual interior darkness and taking down and putting up the foil was a PITA. we looked at all of the exterior windshield screens and settled on the Magneshade. EZ up and down without needing a ladder. that was the tipping point for me.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Dont know the price of magnashade but made my own ( i sew items for our sailboat) cost about 250. Biggest expense was the magnets at 150. Might not be as tight and finished as magnashade but it works.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Reflectix

I have shade envy, the Magne shade is the premier fix, but out of my price range and for the occasional weekend camper couldn’t justify the expense right now. I bought a roll of reflectix 4’x10’ and cut them a little oversize of the window. Started at the front window as the largest and worked my way around the camper. Placed between window and shade to hold in place. I store them under the bed rolled up for when we are on the road and install after parked and level. They reduce the heat in your rv by 10-15 degrees and even help keep you warm in the winter by trapping heat. I even cut squares to place over my fans and over the shower and put a couple pieces of velcro tape on foil and on fan to hold in place. Worked out great for the last couple of years.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #7

How much better is the Magna Shade over MCD?

Note: I'm not a fan of MCD's snap-on connectors, which is way I don't use them, but I would if I were camped in a park where I needed windshield privacy.

And the problems with using cheap, bubble shades you can make out of material at HD for $50, which mimic car windshield sun shades are many. The only advantage is price.

So, how much is the Magne shade for the front windshield? ...And does it work to keep heat inside the RV during the winter? (I'm guessing NOT!)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Window shade

A magne shade for a class a front windshield $625, driver side window $210 and $210 for passenger side. A single roll of refectix 4X10 at Amazon under $30. I have friends who have the magne shade and it is an amazing product easy install and removal. I just can’t justify the expense for the amount of time we spend currently in our rv.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If you are handy and have a sewing machine, this is what my DW did.

We had a Thor product that needed a much better way to shed the sun light plus enable us to see out. She went fabric shopping at a major fabric store and found a great product. Its a black breathable/see through fabric on one wide they have glued small reflecting (mirror like) pieces. She then sewed a hem for length added rollers that we bought on line and off we went. What a difference it made in pass through heat. Hole project was well under $100

Since getting rid of the Thor for the Meridian we have clips that attach to the sun visor and hold the reflective curtain. Over all its a great piece of material.
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have the ones that are made by ShadePro on my Vista. They have "twist clips" that require you to get up on a ladder to install but well worth it.

https://www.shadepro.net/product-cat...shield-covers/

They look great and you really want the block outside the window too keep the heat out off the RV.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Window Shade Side View - ShadePro

Here is a view of the shade when camping. I need to add two more attachment clips to the bottom just haven't done that yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7175.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	180015  
Old 07-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

How do the clips attach to the RV?
Old 07-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

That looks really nice, I guess you carry a ladder to install it
Old 07-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

You can have buttons or clips that look like this - I have the twist clips -

https://www.sailrite.com/Common-Sens...BoCvcIQAvD_BwE

They have a grommet on the fabric and you take two stainless steel screws, drill a small hole (just smaller than the screw to not crack the filon material) and I put a dab of silicone on each screw before screwing the twist clip near the edge of the window. Yes, you can see them but they're fairly small.

I carry a ladder like this one -

https://www.campingworld.com/6%27-co...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's compact and fits in one of my pass-throughs.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Like tinted windows, you can see out during the day and not in but at night it's the opposite so you close the shades at that point. We're camping at the beach and I love the big window not being blocked during the day. I need to make one or buy from them for the two back windows I have as well - will help keep the heat out but they're tinted so not in a rush for that.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I just finished a full set of Reflectix window coverings, at first I only had the one for the windshield and it cut down a huge amount of heat on our first trip out so I just finished the rest of the windows yesterday. The windshield one uses 3 tabs of Velcro at the top but the rest are all friction fit-no Velcro. Originally I put the tab of Velcro you see in the pic to roll up and fasten the windshield cover but that didn't work so well but I just received my Velcro strap assortment from Amazon and tomorrow I will try one of the 24", plan is to roll it all up tight inside the windshield cover and stow it in the overhead cabinets which are open all the way across on the inside.
Used 1.5 rolls of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FWIW the Velcro will not stay stuck to the Reflectix so I added small pieces of foil HVAC tape to stick the Velcro onto and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reflect1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	180021   Click image for larger version

Name:	reflect2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	180022  

Old 07-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Shade Pro

Nice product, is it 3 separate pieces or one piece? Couldn’t tell from the photo if it is one piece. Much more budget friendly compared to the magne shade and has a very clean look.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Each window is one piece including the windshield, 5 pieces total,they are installed on the inside
Old 07-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twpinaz View Post
Nice product, is it 3 separate pieces or one piece? Couldn’t tell from the photo if it is one piece. Much more budget friendly compared to the magne shade and has a very clean look.
Three separate pieces. Very well made.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

whoops Twpinaz I thought you were asking about mine