Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield Cover Effectiveness

With the Adventurer 38Q there is a front solar screen and a night shade. Even with both shades down the heat buildup in the upper front cab is very hot. I leave the upper cabinet doors open during the day. When parked with the front facing south the DVD and HDMI boxes are quit hot to the touch. Can't be good long term. Question: How much of a difference would a windshield cover provide? Is the difference significant?

Thanks for the input?
Kent0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have an outside cover 90% sunblock.
Wouldn't be without it. Problem with the interior type is the, sunlight comes through the windshield, heat builds up between the shade and the windshield inside the coach, then circulates.
Like an exterior awning , shading the side windows, you need to keep the heat outside the coach.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Since the heat build up is in the upper cab and cabinets, you might investigate if there's insulation in the front cap. Is the cap painted white or a dark color? If you can access behind and above the cabinets, you might push in fiberglass batting. An exterior windshield cover can help, but so can parking facing north. South facing is the worst for heat gain in the northern hemisphere.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I do not drop the solar screen as it is black and catches the sun coming through the windshield. I just lower the nightshade to block the sun.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks All,

I took a good look behind the upper front cabinet. There is a lot of space which includes the front cap which is black. That's where the heat buildup is generated from. Good idea to not drop the solar shades. Good idea to insulate that section. Has anyone done this? Any preferred type of batting? I have to conclude that with insulation and a external screen would have to make a big difference.

Thanks again.
Kent0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

After having packed the upper front cap with batt insulation, and using an outside Magna-Shade black screen, I notice some improvement. But..... there is still heat in the cockpit area. I doubt that that area can ever be as cool as, say a side wall. Open the cabinet doors to help the electronics.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
DDQ
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Kent - You can go to a boat canvass shop and they will make you a windshield cover out of the black plastic mesh. You will have to install the fasteners (snaps) though.This will help dramatically. I used this on my boat until I got smart and sold it. Happy travels.....
DDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I also have an outside Magna-Shade, in black. It was pricey when we bought it in 2012 but worth the cost to us. On our 98 Winnebago - have the same shades for the side window in front also. They are all held on by magnets thru the glass.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I have an outside cover 90% sunblock.
Wouldn't be without it. Problem with the interior type is the, sunlight comes through the windshield, heat builds up between the shade and the windshield inside the coach, then circulates.
Like an exterior awning , shading the side windows, you need to keep the heat outside the coach.
Hi Skip426, Can you tell me where you purchased your sunshade?

Marguerite66
Marguerite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi!
I read a blog on HitchItch.com called "Out of Our Bubble". They actually have a section on insulating the inside of cabinets to prevent heat buildup.
The blog said it was very effective and actually use a heat monitor to show
the difference of before and after. Very interesting! Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My 2011 Vista front windshield had the upper 12" black. That really absorbed the hear and in the inside there was no insulation there so I did two things to reduce the heat. I made my own external sunshade with a light tan (don't use black as it absorbs heat) solar cloth, this helped a lot as it reduced the UV rays from getting into the coach. To insulate the front cap goto walmart and get that white cottonball type stuffing in the sewing section. Works like insulation without the fiberglass scratchy feeling. I also used this in my shower cap, remove the inside cap, put insulation in between the panels and it still lets light thru but also helps insulate.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

How To Cut Down Heat Inside Of Your Cupboards | Outside Our Bubble

Here is a link to the article I was referring to earlier. Hope it helps!
Good luck!