Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Why are these TV problems intermittent? ARRGHH!!!

2013 Itasca Ellipse 42QD. 2 Direct TV receivers. 2 unrelated(?) problems.

Problem #1
Occasionally, of course it is only occasionally, I will get "no signal" display on bedroom TV. Tried rebooting receiver to no avail. Tried switching to 2nd receiver and have it display in bedroom. Same result, "no signal".
During the "no signal" period for bedroom TV, both receivers will display on living room TV without issue. Later, hours or next day, bedroom TV will operate just fine. No issues.
I have not spoken with Direct about this as I think it may have to do the HDMI 4X4 device in AV cabinet.
Any thoughts?

Problem #2
Occasionally, again, one receiver will display on TV screen some green sparkles (?). Second receiver does not do this. Sometimes they are just on the screen in a couple of places and sometimes the dots seem to outline an object on screen like a lamp or chair. These dots don't obscure anything on the screen they are just there.
These dots appear on both recorded and "live" broadcasts.
This one may be a receiver issue with Direct.

I know that if these are the biggest problems in my life I don't have much to complain about but they sure are irritating.
retdep018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would suspect that the antenna is not locked on to the strongest signal from the satellite. Another possibility could be in the cabling especially with the HDMI device. The signal may be getting attenuated there.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

From your description I need to make some assumptions about your set up.
Single DirecTV receiver (or DirecHDTV) HDMI out from the receiver to a matrix box that then distributes the signal to the nearby FRONT TV and the far off REAR tv.

IF I am wrong, please correct,, If i am right read on.

Suspects:
The matrix (Switch box) may have a faulty or dirty switch

The long wire to the rear may not be properly shielded and is picking up RFI from a nearby radio transmitter, CB, HAM or Park security/operations. NOTE. Proper shielding.. Very rare.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

HDMI 4X4 device is for switching video and audio from the DVD or Sat receiver in the front to the bedroom or outside. Does not affect the satellite signal from the antenna to the receivers.
I would check the connections at the SWM Splitter.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The second problem maybe a TV problem, but I think both are related to the HDMI cable to the second TV. Can you try a different HDMI port on the HDMI Matrix Switch? Reseat both ends of the second TV HDMI cable.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

is this why you are a camp ground or dry camping

some MD inverters well play games on the system
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

retdep018, a little confused are both your sat receivers in the front and you use the matrix 4X4 to feed the back TV or is one sat receiver in the front and one in the back?
If both sat receivers are in the front try turning off the Matrix 4X4 let is set a few second then turn it back on. Also check the cat6 connections on the Matrix 4X4 main unit and the one in the bedroom. I have noticed on ours it takes a few seconds for the connection to make.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have two direct dvr's in my 42qd. One in the front and one in the rear. I have a king dome in motion system. They work well once I learned how to hook them up. I believe your dvr settings are not set correctly to match your dish and you signal is sometimes okay then not good enough. My dvr's are set to

#2 3 L and b
Multi switch
Single

What is your signal strength?

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote