Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What TV mfg has controllable audio outputs

I am replacing our Journey's 24” Sony front TV with a LCD one. I am looking at 32” units, both standard LCD and LED. My question is, those of you who have done this, what TV manufacturers have you found that allow you to control the RCA audio volume output via the TV volume? I want to use the Winnebago installed sound system for right now. I know I can put a gang pot, or a separate audio amp, in the line. I just don’t want to unless I have to.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Bill,

Check some of the Sony 32's. We bought a Sony Bravia 32" with variable audio out (actually I got it to put in the motorhome but DW wanted it in the stick house....so we moved a 26' LCD from stick house to the coach ). I remember looking at a bunch of 32" LCD's until I found that one at Circuit City. I'll get the model # for you.

On edit...sorry, but after checking the TV, it does not have variable audio out. I certainly thought that was why I bought that model but perhaps it was the price that got my attention, after all.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I installed Samsung and disabled the speakers. Then I wired the earphone output to the house speakers through the radios AUX in. Now I have volume control from both the TV and the radio. It’s not surround sound but it sounds good and the output of the TV could be sent to a surround system.
Dick
Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi Mr Bill,

I thought the rear output audio jacks ‘were always’ controlled from the TV’s volume control. If they weren’t, then high signals would clip the next input stage, like the Surround Sound. Our current Sony is set up that way so that any program source be it Off Air, Video 1, 2,or 3 is controlled. Our RCA output jacks are connected to the Winne Surround Sound. I feed Video 1 with our computer to watch movies, Video 3 with Nintendo, Video 2 is the backup camera so there is no sound in that composite and all volumes are controlled with the TV remote.

This shouldn’t be a problem for you.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I installed a Toshiba 32 inch LCD-HDTV. The audio out is a "low level" output and is variable and is controlled by the TV volume control. I use the low level output to feed the surround sound and I also split it and feed a wireless headset unit. The audio menu on the TV also enables the internal speakers to be turned off. This is a great feature as the internal speakers can turned off and either, or both, the surround sound and wireless headset can be used. The DW watches the TV late at night using the headphones and I sleep in silence !!!!
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I think the RCA outputs on most TVs are designed to go to an amplifier which makes them fairly low level. The amplifier has the Volume control and the TV's speakers are disabled in the TV's menu. That’s why the TV Volume doesn't control the RCA outputs. Sometimes like on my Samsung there is an optical output and that may be controlled by the TV volume it is on my Samsung. There were other problems with the optical so I couldn't use that output, that only left the Earphone Output suitable for what I wanted.
Dick
Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We installed an Insignia (Best Buy house brand?) and the RCA jacks were high level out, but I took the output from the earphone jack into a Radio Shack Y splitter to get the stereo to the jacks that the original TV went to so I can control volume with the TV remote.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Most of the LG tv models have only the fixed audio output in the back, not variable.

Got bit by this myself.... currently using a Pot to manual change the volume to the River Part surround sound when I have it turned on, and this Spring I'm going to try the solder-to-the-speaker mod.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Many televisions have two audio outs.. One is RCA type plugs (Properly called Phono Plugs) and those are normally line level, fixed 1V P-P.

The other is external speaker, often a mini-phone plug (1/8" headphone jack) and that is controlled via the volume control. Plugging into it disconnects the internal speakers as well.

Best option is to use the LIne out and use the remote for the house audio system.. However if your wife is lke my wife that won't work as she can not understand how listening to a DVD with 5.1 Surround sound is better on the house system than (Which is a home theater 5.1 surround sound) than on the TV's tiny stereo rattlers.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have a Sanyo 26" that has RCA audio jacks which can be switched between variable and fixed. I would assume the larger Sanyo TVs would the same capabilities.

BTW. I would give the Sanyo picture a C+. Maybe the newer models are better.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Toshiba and Sony for sure from my personal experience.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote